Aging

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Dleg, I'm glad your Google search worked out. The last time I tried to Google a medical thing, I ended up convinced that I have brain cancer and leprosy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, this is the first time Googling has worked for me, which leads me to believe that it actually hasn't worked and in fact I do really have elbow cancer. :(  

just don't wear the elbow brace thing all day.  Only an hr or so at a time from what I read about them awhile back...one of my elbows is acting up too

I am addicted to glucosamine, I don't know if it works but I take it religiously

I've taken that a few times, when I had some knee problems.  The knee problems went away, so I'm thinking maybe it worked? :dunno:  

Here's an aging thing that I finally figured out yesterday: tennis elbow.  For the past few years I have been feeling this coming on, but did not ever consider that "tennis elbow" was what I have, because I don't play tennis.  It's a muscle/joint pain on the outside of the forearm up near the elbow. "golfer's elbow" is on the inside of the elbow, basically the same thing just a different location.  It makes it hurt to grip things, for example lifting a gallon of milk out of the refrigerator. It got worse and worse over time, and I thought it was due to my sleeping habits (on my side with my arm under my pillow).  But yesterday i finally Googled it, and figured it out and that my morning weight routine was probably what has been setting it off.  

So I went out and bought a $25 tennis elbow brace - a narrow band that puts pressure on the tendons - and tried some simple stretches I found online.  No drugs, no visit to the doctor.  Today it is 90% better.  

Just FYI for all of you who are "aging".
Happens to a lot of people.  A weight lifter turned me on to a solution for the problem.  I suffered to the point I actually had surgery on my elbow and still got no relief.  Before getting to that point I tried a lot of things including a brace, steroids injections, and of course ice and cold wraps.  Then, I tried his suggestion.  The solution?  Magnesium.  You can do one of two things.  Soak the elbow in an epsom salt bath, which is time consuming, or supplement with a high absorption tablet.  The forms that I have found effective are Magnesium glycinate, chelated Magnesium, and Magnesion L-Theronate.  Don't waste your time on the stuff you find in the grocery store, which is Magnesium oxide.  The body doesn't absorb it well.

The root cause of tennis elbow is overuse of the muscles in the forearm.  When they are subjected to repeated movements, eventually the muscle says "hey I'm just going to stay contracted". When they do, they put continual tension on the ligaments which end up tearing and becoming inflamed and painful. Magnesium works to allow the muscles to relax fully easing tension on the ligaments which the body can then repair.

It not only helped my tennis elbow, and when I say helped I mean eliminated it totally.  It also eliminated my plantar fasciitus, which is another over-stress condition.  A bottle of chelated magnesium is about 15 bucks and totally worth a try.  Go through a bottle and if it doesn't work you never have to try it again.  Now, I only take it (a couple tablets at a time) if I'm having a flare up, which is pretty infrequent.  But it gets it back under control right away.  Initially, I took as many as three tablets in the morning and three at night before bed.  One word of caution, it does act as a mild laxative, so adjust accordingly.

This is what I buy:

https://www.amazon.com/Doctors-Best-Absorption-Magnesium-Supplement/dp/B000BD0RT0/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1475268464&sr=1-1&keywords=magnesium

^Cool.  That sounds like it could work for back problems (muscle related only of course) and my shin splints, which are essentially the same thing.  I will give it a try!

The root cause of tennis elbow is overuse of the muscles in the forearm.  When they are subjected to repeated movements, eventually the muscle says "hey I'm just going to stay contracted". When they do, they put continual tension on the ligaments which end up tearing and becoming inflamed and painful.
Damn, I'm totally going to get tennis elbow...

^Cool.  That sounds like it could work for back problems (muscle related only of course) and my shin splints, which are essentially the same thing.  I will give it a try!
Yes, I use it to help my back too.  Re: elbow, I couldn't grip a gallon jug of milk.  I totally know what you're talking about.  It was bad.  Couldn't do pushups.  Couldn't shoot pistols.  It prevented lots of things.  Heck, handshakes were painful.

Yes, I use it to help my back too.  Re: elbow, I couldn't grip a gallon jug of milk.  I totally know what you're talking about.  It was bad.  Couldn't do pushups.  Couldn't shoot pistols.  It prevented lots of things.  Heck, handshakes were painful.
That's the point I recently reached.  The gallon of milk in morning became something I dreaded, and a million handshakes at a conference last week really sealed it.

Dleg after his morning "workout"?

article-0-1ED1AA6900000578-849_634x426.jpg

Happens to a lot of people.  A weight lifter turned me on to a solution for the problem.  I suffered to the point I actually had surgery on my elbow and still got no relief.  Before getting to that point I tried a lot of things including a brace, steroids injections, and of course ice and cold wraps.  Then, I tried his suggestion.  The solution?  Magnesium.  You can do one of two things.  Soak the elbow in an epsom salt bath, which is time consuming, or supplement with a high absorption tablet.  The forms that I have found effective are Magnesium glycinate, chelated Magnesium, and Magnesion L-Theronate.  Don't waste your time on the stuff you find in the grocery store, which is Magnesium oxide.  The body doesn't absorb it well.

The root cause of tennis elbow is overuse of the muscles in the forearm.  When they are subjected to repeated movements, eventually the muscle says "hey I'm just going to stay contracted". When they do, they put continual tension on the ligaments which end up tearing and becoming inflamed and painful. Magnesium works to allow the muscles to relax fully easing tension on the ligaments which the body can then repair.

It not only helped my tennis elbow, and when I say helped I mean eliminated it totally.  It also eliminated my plantar fasciitus, which is another over-stress condition.  A bottle of chelated magnesium is about 15 bucks and totally worth a try.  Go through a bottle and if it doesn't work you never have to try it again.  Now, I only take it (a couple tablets at a time) if I'm having a flare up, which is pretty infrequent.  But it gets it back under control right away.  Initially, I took as many as three tablets in the morning and three at night before bed.  One word of caution, it does act as a mild laxative, so adjust accordingly.

This is what I buy:

https://www.amazon.com/Doctors-Best-Absorption-Magnesium-Supplement/dp/B000BD0RT0/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1475268464&sr=1-1&keywords=magnesium
@Audi driver, P.E.: I just wanted to follow up on this.  I ordered some of your chelated magnesium from Amazon, and I've been taking it on and off for about 2 months now (maybe a little less).  The tennis elbow symptoms have been 100% gone now for about 2 weeks, and they gradually improved up to that point after taking the supplements.  I've been doing nothing else besides taking the supplements, not even wearing the brace.  I have been lifting and working and using the muscles all the time.  I am ordinarily a very skeptical person, but I think this stuff works! 

Also, I damaged my Achilles tendon from a slip and fall in our parking lot about 4 weeks ago, and I was really worried about that screwing up my running, but it has recovered 100% as well.  Not sure if it's related to the magnesium, but I am thinking it is, since it's the same root issue.

Thanks for the excellent tip!

@Audi driver, P.E.: I just wanted to follow up on this.  I ordered some of your chelated magnesium from Amazon, and I've been taking it on and off for about 2 months now (maybe a little less).  The tennis elbow symptoms have been 100% gone now for about 2 weeks, and they gradually improved up to that point after taking the supplements.  I've been doing nothing else besides taking the supplements, not even wearing the brace.  I have been lifting and working and using the muscles all the time.  I am ordinarily a very skeptical person, but I think this stuff works! 

Also, I damaged my Achilles tendon from a slip and fall in our parking lot about 4 weeks ago, and I was really worried about that screwing up my running, but it has recovered 100% as well.  Not sure if it's related to the magnesium, but I am thinking it is, since it's the same root issue.

Thanks for the excellent tip!
Awesome!  I was wondering about this the other day.  Good to hear!  If you're like me, you'll have to supplement with it periodically to maintain.  It's hardly anything I would consider a big deal.  :)   :thumbs:

I may have to give that a try.  I've been getting really bad tension headaches every day from neck/shoulder muscles not relaxing.

Speaking of aging, I was at the eye doctor yesterday and it seems that I will need eye surgery this coming spring.

The reason is because I have had cataracts (both eyes) for a while now and they have progressed enough to warrant surgery.

Anybody have this surgery? Is it like the Star Trek: TNG Borg thing?

^^ Technically yes, but not really.

I'm 39 and my Mom had it done at 39 as well.

I'm not overweight, not diabetic, a non-smoker, and wear sunglasses religiously. I think I was just dealt a bad hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
i used to pull out the gray/white....but ive lost that battle in goatee 50/50 salt pepper

will still pull the odd white on head....they like to grow against the grain be all wavy

and + 1 on punching the douche on page one

Back