Aging

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not bald but very thin, gray, and heading to white.  My neighbor is a hair dresser by occupation and since my long-time barber died about 5 years ago, my neighbor cuts my hair (no charge as I help him with computer issues).  He talked me into applying some color.  I just wanted to go from white back to salt/pepper look.  Well it wasn't pretty as the color he put in went to a blond/ginger sort of color.  since then I've backed off on the coloring and just cut it short.
there's your problem.  For the salt and pepper look, you need this http://justformen.com/touchofgray/

So, what tips, techniques, advice do you have to pass on to younger folks about aging.  I'm seeing more wrinkles and grays than I ever thought I'd see on myself.  I'm balding, pretty significantly now, and I am going to be turning 40 in 3 months.  Any advice on how to do this shit gracefully?
Live in a tropical environment, only drink beer after running 5 miles and sweating a gallon.  That worked for me for a while.

Now that I'm living back in the real world, I feel like my age is catching up to me fast.  Recently I doubled my exercise, and while I am feeling fit I have not lost a pound.

I think by real world he means, "back in society"  movie theatres, restaurants, home improvement projects, etc..

Yeah, I basically mean the Rat Race.  I think that is what really ages You People. 

That, and perhaps it's the beer.  In the islands, all we could drink was Bud Light and Miller Lite, mon.  Basically just water, rehydrating you with a little taste and a little buzz. None of this IPA and Porter crap that You People are all drinking over here, filling you up with heart-burn inducing hops and belly bloat.

:dunno:  

I'm rounding out my Jesus year and another kid is due in a month. I've been the same size for the last decade but I'm sure that will change quickly. With three kids under 6 I have no problem burning calories to stay slim, but my hairline is definitely suffering. I've been buzzing my own hair cuts for five years, got to find spare change somewhere to pay for piano lessons.

Here's an aging thing that I finally figured out yesterday: tennis elbow.  For the past few years I have been feeling this coming on, but did not ever consider that "tennis elbow" was what I have, because I don't play tennis.  It's a muscle/joint pain on the outside of the forearm up near the elbow. "golfer's elbow" is on the inside of the elbow, basically the same thing just a different location.  It makes it hurt to grip things, for example lifting a gallon of milk out of the refrigerator. It got worse and worse over time, and I thought it was due to my sleeping habits (on my side with my arm under my pillow).  But yesterday i finally Googled it, and figured it out and that my morning weight routine was probably what has been setting it off.  

So I went out and bought a $25 tennis elbow brace - a narrow band that puts pressure on the tendons - and tried some simple stretches I found online.  No drugs, no visit to the doctor.  Today it is 90% better.  

Just FYI for all of you who are "aging".

Back