Admit who you are!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess for the October exam they released the results around noon. So that should be a decent cut-off time for the day. Todays is gone. Hopefully tomorrow or Wednesday.

In myplace you can be held back and not promoted for not taking the PE (which is my current situation), but taking it and not passing means being asked to leave...
Man, that is tough. How do you think you did?
I think I did well, but I felt the exam was too easy. That has me worried because they have to fail someone, and if the exam is too easy you get punished for stupid mistakes. To buddies that took the same exam as I did (Electrical - Computer) also felt it was too easy... Any other takers of that one that would care to share their thoughts?

Does NCEES post results before the state websites do? I'm in Oregon and have my husband checking the state records periodically because the thought of checking gives me anxiety. April 2014 was my second time taking it, and if I have to take this thing again in October I'll be a mess. Maybe I'll have him start checking NCEES too :)

In myplace you can be held back and not promoted for not taking the PE (which is my current situation), but taking it and not passing means being asked to leave...
I think I did well, but I felt the exam was too easy. That has me worried because they have to fail someone, and if the exam is too easy you get punished for stupid mistakes. To buddies that took the same exam as I did (Electrical - Computer) also felt it was too easy... Any other takers of that one that would care to share their thoughts?
What makes you say that? Here's what it says on the ncees website:

NCEES scores each exam with no predetermined percentage of examinees that should pass or fail.

Unless they're just lying, the level is set and whoever passes, passes. At least that's the way I read that.

What makes you say that? Here's what it says on the ncees website:

NCEES scores each exam with no predetermined percentage of examinees that should pass or fail.
Unless they're just lying, the level is set and whoever passes, passes. At least that's the way I read that.
In the Scoring page, there is this section:

EquatingFor subsequent administrations of the exam, statistical equating is used to ensure that this level of performance is consistent across multiple administrations of that exam. Essentially, this means that while the numerical passing score may change with each administration, you are not disadvantaged when one administration of a particular exam is more difficult than another. This process accounts for the 8- to 10-week interval between an exam administration and the release of scores to member licensing boards.
So the passing score can change, and if previous administrations of the exam were more difficult, it could get quite high. And this is what worries me... Or I could just be a worrier...

e5equ5yq.jpg

I think this is a big reason why everyone starts calling the NCEES about the exams. Most people now realize that it does not take 8-10 weeks to release results (because they come out in 6) and that is why they call and email NCEES. I don't think its that they are that impatient but that they know results are on the horizon and they simply want to know. As engineers, we analyze everything to death.

For many of us, getting this means a combination of a raise, promotion, and more job security. Who wouldn't be nervous about that?

I have to quote what my boss told me when I got my PE... "Don't go getting all fancy on me now, you can be a PE and still be a dumbass!"

And here starts another day of agony... Hopefully the last.... Good luck to y'all on this Big Day.....

I have to quote what my boss told me when I got my PE... "Don't go getting all fancy on me now, you can be a PE and still be a dumbass!"
wow. Talk about a motivational pep-talk.

For many of us, getting this means a combination of a raise, promotion, and more job security. Who wouldn't be nervous about that?

It also means the culmination of working to death in high school, working so hard in college enough to kill a dead person, not working that hard but passing a stupid 8-hour exam, toiling away at a career for thankless managers for years and years, and then studying like a madman while trying to hold that job, and in some cases, while supporting a family.

As I said before, I will not be getting a raise or a promotion when I pass. The personal satisfaction and the justification of the work means so, so so so much more.

It also means the culmination of working to death in high school, working so hard in college enough to kill a dead person, not working that hard but passing a stupid 8-hour exam, toiling away at a career for thankless managers for years and years, and then studying like a madman while trying to hold that job, and in some cases, while supporting a family.

As I said before, I will not be getting a raise or a promotion when I pass. The personal satisfaction and the justification of the work means so, so so so much more.

In my opinion, only those who have been through the entire process can fully appreciate what it takes to get licensed. It is an incredible amount of work!

Though I don't have a family yet. Only thing that is different for me is to work for a really obnoxious manager, study like an ass carrying a load, while trying to keep a job, but at the same time remember both the P.E. and the job are important, since without the job there won't be a Visa and without a P.E. the manager gets only more obnoxious.

Back