adding a fireplace / woodstove

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you get it with the circulation fan under the box?
Negative. This particular fireplace already has a circulation fan. Though the fireplace people told me that doesn't really do much. Similar to the external fan on an over-the-range microwave. LOL

I added a fan to mine.

There was a place directly under the fake logs for a fan.

So we finally got around to crunching some numbers on these and getting quotes

Anyone want to guess what it costs to tap into the gas line and cut a hole in your house for the vent?

…….$800 bucks. Not as bad as I was expecting given the cost of other residential work.

The Gas Wood Stove is like $3 grand though (or at least the one the wife wants)

I’ve got to do some painting and put in some tile in the corner of the room where were adding this so I am hoping to have some pics for you all in a month or so. Wife is going on typical scope creep, now wants to add that barn wood stuff to the corner where the stove is going to go L

at least home depot sells faux barn wood so maybe its slightly less flammable!

What sucks is that now I get to spend all weekend painting :D

9ea91724fd4082bf30b872ff83a34066.jpg

#soon..........

That was already there-there's like one on every wall in the LR . Guess the previous owners were indecisive..

We're gonna put the stove in and see how it looks and figure out what to do behind it afterwards. So eventually it will get covered up...........

Wife (who is notoriously cheap) picked out like the most expensive one we looked at :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20">

site is acting weird today... ^ -- but I think that's close to the one we bought, its cast iron but has a bronzed / look (extra$$)

They don't have these Bluetooth / wifi yet, but they have a remote thermostat so you can take it upstairs and turn the thing on before you get out of bed in the AM and have the room already toasty for biscuits and gravy ;)

site is acting weird today... ^ -- but I think that's close to the one we bought, its cast iron but has a bronzed / look (extra$$)

They don't have these Bluetooth / wifi yet, but they have a remote thermostat so you can take it upstairs and turn the thing on before you get out of bed in the AM and have the room already toasty for biscuits and gravy ;)
I'm still waiting for that biscuit recipe...

get a large bowl, some self rising flour, and a stick of Crisco, and about a cup of water

you have to play with it @csb until it gets to a dough like consistency (start off with minimal water and use a fork to mix the flour and the Crisco)

paddy them out in your hands like you are making small hamburgers and put them on a cast iron pan in the oven @ 450 deg for around 15 minutes

after a dozen or so tries you will get the hang of it

& that's the honest recipe my wifes grandma passed down (my moms was a Damn Yankee so she never made them)

From a heat output standpoint, I'd be worried about melting that coax box/wire/faceplate. Would definitely need some sort of heat shield over the top of it.

I thought so as well but the specs say it only needs 5 IN of clearance to anything.. we plan to bury it whenever the wife gets through going through 10,000 ideas on pin interest to find the style she wants (for what goes one the wall eventually)

were having a "pro" install the stove and cut the hole in the side of the house, hopefully before turkey day..

I did win a small battle, we plan to 86 the carpet in this room but doing the basement I ran out of time / $$$ so she had wanted me to do all the floors and the tile for the stove before the stove came, but I was able to talk her into enjoying the stove for winter and well put in the 'wood' in the spring..

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks nice. We stopped using our gas fireplace, because no one (WTF) delivers 100 lb propane cylinders in this town, and I don't want to risk running out of gas in the middle of winter and then having to borrow someone's truck to go get it replaced.

I'm going to make another attempt to get someone to deliver the propane. Holy crap is that too hard for Alaskan businesses??? Sometimes this place confuses me.

You're in Alaska. Only foreigners need "heat", and real locals don't need anything beyond a good set of gloves.

Back