adding a fireplace / woodstove

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In our house, we had a wood fireplace that we had converted into a gas fireplace. There is just something about grabbing a beer and watching football with the fireplace on. Plus, when you're done you just turn it off and there is no clean-up.
So ours is wood but with gas-starting.  Meaning there's a gas line that already runs to it and a valve nearby that I can turn it on/off with.  I wonder if it could be converted to strictly gas?  Because I agree, on those cold WI days it would be nice to turn on but not have to worry about stocking it first.  Plus LadyFox says there's that smoky smell whenever we use it. :dunno:  

we did that at our old house, its pretty simple, you can buy the gas logs at Home Depot (or similar) and put them in pretty quick like. The newer vent less ones are pretty sweet, that's what I had back in Atlanta and we could keep the flume closed and it heated the house up very nice like..

I think you disconnect the gas starter and hook the gas log (feed line) into that, just take some soapy water and rub on after you install it and if it doensnt bubble up then there are no leaks.. even a caveman can do it ;)

Our house has a fireplace but it never got used.  This past summer I finally had the chimney inspected and the guy told me it was fine so we used it quite a bit this winter.  My only gripe is that it does a decent job of heating the family room but it doesn't really go any further than that.  The fireplace was already here and we've got a yard full of dead ash trees so the wood is free so it's still free heat.

If we decide to stay we may see about getting a wood burning stove with the fan built in or there are some forced-air contraptions that you can use with an existing fireplace...basically just a metal pipe that wraps around the back of the firebox with a fan at one end.

^that's how my ILs built the fireplace in their now not so new  house.  it was a huge metal contraption they encased in brick that has a fan feature to blow the heat farther.  That is what they use to the house heat in the winter months.    

Nzecs7Y.jpg

So ours is wood but with gas-starting.  Meaning there's a gas line that already runs to it and a valve nearby that I can turn it on/off with.  I wonder if it could be converted to strictly gas?  Because I agree, on those cold WI days it would be nice to turn on but not have to worry about stocking it first.  Plus LadyFox says there's that smoky smell whenever we use it. :dunno:  
we did that at our old house, its pretty simple, you can buy the gas logs at Home Depot (or similar) and put them in pretty quick like. The newer vent less ones are pretty sweet, that's what I had back in Atlanta and we could keep the flume closed and it heated the house up very nice like..

I think you disconnect the gas starter and hook the gas log (feed line) into that, just take some soapy water and rub on after you install it and if it doensnt bubble up then there are no leaks.. even a caveman can do it ;)
I'm finally getting back to this project as the fall season approaches. Thinking about getting this:  https://www.amazon.com/Peterson-Real-Fyre-24-inch-Natural/dp/B00N5CLOJQ/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Seems pricey but then again I have no reference as to what things like this cost. Plus it would be nice to have some type of electronic ignition I think?

I would just go to Home Depot or Loews and get one, I think the better ones are around $350.00?? But they really go in very easy

If you get one that's has to be vented then 90% of the heat goes up the flume so I would try and get one that is ventless to save some  dough..

The ones I'm seeing at Home Depot are around the $350 price range you mentioned but are 30k-40k BTU. The Amazon one is 75k BTU and $100 cheaper. Does that matter?

Also, reading a bit up on it, I already have an existing wood burning fireplace with open chimney and venting system. It seemed like vented gas logs were better suited (i.e. more realistic) for that? For the ventless it seems I'd have to install some sort of insert. Having an actual open chimney fireplace, I don't think I'll be getting much heat gain, will I?

no you shouldn't have to install an insert, they basically look the same as vented gas logs, they just have "better efficiency" so you don't have to vent the flume on your chimney ( although we always cracked ours somewhat)

My wife wants to put a gas log into our fireplace (for the atmosphere and not necessarily the heat).  I could not care less but I don't want to pay for it.

The house I bought in AK has a propane fireplace with a wall vent like the one in Dex's picture, but I haven't been able to get it started yet.  After a lot of research, I determined that the electronic valve is powered by a thermopile that gets heated by the pilot flame.  Once it is energized, the whole thing runs off a remote control. Flame height, fan speed, timer. Pretty sweet.  The only problem is I can't get the pilot to stay on, because the valve unit never energizes.  I've left the pilot burning for a couple minutes at a time, but power LED on the valve unit still doesn't light up.  All I can figure, from reading up on it, is that the thermopile is either dirty or not working.  I haven't had a chance to try cleaning it yet, but i need to because winter is coming, rapidly here in AK.

So if you get one, be prepared for issues like this down the road...

Thermopile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm considering getting a pellet stove. Many of my friends who have them, swear by them. Very efficient to heat the house.

Holy hell! The ventless are even more expensive than the vented variety! And also require that a CO detector be installed. Decisions decisions.

with ventless your paying not to send money up the chimney and the CO detector isn't too bad (like $85 bucks)

Back