adding a fireplace / woodstove

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought so as well but the specs say it only needs 5 IN of clearance to anything.. we plan to bury it whenever the wife gets through going through 10,000 ideas on pin interest to find the style she wants (for what goes one the wall eventually)
were having a "pro" install the stove and cut the hole in the side of the house, hopefully before turkey day..
I did win a small battle, we plan to 86 the carpet in this room but doing the basement I ran out of time / $$$ so she had wanted me to do all the floors and the tile for the stove before the stove came, but I was able to talk her into enjoying the stove for winter and well put in the 'wood' in the spring..

Wood.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That looks nice. We stopped using our gas fireplace, because no one (WTF) delivers 100 lb propane cylinders in this town, and I don't want to risk running out of gas in the middle of winter and then having to borrow someone's truck to go get it replaced.

I'm going to make another attempt to get someone to deliver the propane. Holy crap is that too hard for Alaskan businesses??? Sometimes this place confuses me.
Have you tried Amazon.com for that? Don't forget to use the EB.com link if you do. 

:thumbs:

Last edited by a moderator:
cant you have one of those "yuge" propane tanks installed at your house they refill?

I've had propane delivered via helicopter to a mountain top. 

(It was for a mountain AWOS. It just sounded cooler if I said it like that first.)

cant you have one of those "yuge" propane tanks installed at your house they refill?
Yeah, I actually talked to someone about that, but I haven't pulled the trigger. It's a bit of an investment, and I am weighing how much i want to put into this house vs. how long I expect to be here. 

what does the rest of your house run on? (heat wise)  I wouldn't do it for just a fireplace.. I guess no Natural Gas there?

No natural gas. Our heating system runs off Number 2 heating oil. We have two 100# propane tanks that are used for the fireplace and our range. We went through one entire 100 pounder between the middle of October 2016 and August 2017. That included a modest amount of fireplace use. We're on the reserve tank now and I don't want to use it up before spring due to the delivery issue. The first time we ran out, I attempted to haul them to the propane place myself, horizontal in my 4 Runner. I won't do that again - plus the propane guys refused to fill them if I was transporting them that way (illegal).  

id put an actual wood stove  or convert the fireplace to an insert  that can burn pine and stock up on wood. probably be cheaper?

Cheaper money-wise but labor wise it's like another job. Nothing beats a real wood fire, though. I just won't spend the money on the retrofit that would be required - our gas fireplace install just wouldn't cut it for a wood burner. 

Um...while Amazon will deliver 55 gallons of lube to your house, USPS prevents them from delivering 100 gallons of a flammable, explosive product. 
Ha! I remember that!

And it depends on the size of the canister you are purchasing/looking to ship. I've purchased butane canisters from Amazon before. 

Cheaper money-wise but labor wise it's like another job. Nothing beats a real wood fire, though. I just won't spend the money on the retrofit that would be required - our gas fireplace install just wouldn't cut it for a wood burner. 
I have been talking to too many stove salesmen, but even if you have the cheapo builders grade fireplace, they can add a wood stove to it with basic modifications that in itself are not that expensive.  But the stoves seem to start at $2500 and then go up, the wood ones are actually more expensive than the gas ones..  I would think you could get it done for less than $3 grand. Of course you can buy a lot of propane for that.  I would probably just buy two of those 100# tanks..

Yeah, I'm stupid and until you mentioned it I hadn't thought about buying additional tanks to hold me through winter. Right now the two I have are actually piped in with a valve to switch between them. All I would have to do is put down a few blocks for a spare or two to rest on, then a strap or chain to keep them secure in an earthquake (had one of those last night!)

Yeah, I'm stupid and until you mentioned it I hadn't thought about buying additional tanks to hold me through winter. Right now the two I have are actually piped in with a valve to switch between them. All I would have to do is put down a few blocks for a spare or two to rest on, then a strap or chain to keep them secure in an earthquake (had one of those last night!)

My wife ran into this same issue with getting 100# tanks in Georgia and I had the same thing with the one I had for the garage heater in my old house.  I think the extra 100# tank idea is a good one, or you could look into getting a setup to hook up a 20# tank if you needed in a pinch.  We ended up doing that at my wife's house so they could do the inspection when we sold it.  Had to buy a separate regulator, though.  But it's a lot easier to fill/replace a 20# tank.

Now I have a 500 gallon tank that's only used for the clothes dryer, fireplace and garage heater.  I might have to get it filled every couple years at most.  The company only charges $10/year rental fee, but I have no idea how much they charged to install it.

Yeah I have 3 or 4 20 gallon tanks (inherited from people leaving, mostly) and those are easy to get replaced or refilled. That's another good idea - I could just replace one side of the dual tank valve system with a longer hose and a regulator that would fit the smaller tank. The only drawback is that I would run out more often and get that end-of-tank odorant smell in the house, which is always a little alarming.

Has anyone put any thought in to making a fireplace fan before? You can buy them but they’re $500+ for, what is basically, a fireplace grate made of hollow tubes with a fan on one end. The idea is that the fire heats the tubes and then the fan blows the hot air out into the room making your fireplace more efficient.  The fireplace does a good job of heating the family room, but it doesn’t do much for any of the rest of the house. 

I believe that most gas fireplaces have fans.
We've been in our new house for almost a year, and just yesterday I discovered our propane fireplace has a fan.  I took the grate off the front of it and saw the fan, but there's no control for it.  Just a cord to plug it into an outlet.  I think I'm going to buy a remote control outlet for it.

Now I'm thinking I need to pop the grate off mine and look...

Back