4 weeks to go; How is everyone doing?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought it was acceptable. Not enough to be a subject matter expert but probably enough for the exam. I actually thought the coverage on transmissibility was pretty decent!
Maybe I'm just having slight issues because my previous vibes exposure (externally excited, higher order bending and torsion modes of complex structures) doesn't really have much representation in the exam because it's not a very "hand calc" friendly domain.

The transmissibility portion of MERM is ok, but outside of that I think it glosses over too much, and doesn't do a good job of explaining some key points. Same thing on some of the machine design subjects vs. Shigley. I just use them very often so I know exactly where the MERM is failing (IMO).

Yep. Sitting in a similar situation here. If nothing else, the long days ensure we can go the distance on test day. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In all seriousness-- I'm sorry to hear that. There are lots of good, and competent folks on tough times right now.

With a few days to go, I'm just reviewing some past stumbling points on the afternoon tests and wrapping up the tabbing & cheat sheet. Best of luck to everyone.
Yep, I'm in a similar mode. I've got a little bit of time tonight (jeez I'm tired after putting the kiddo to sleep and a full day of work), and some tomorrow. Then it's just glancing over a few topics Thursday morning and verifying I'm good to go on Friday then relaxing the whole day. The good thing is I normally leave my house at 5:20-5:30 AM for work, so leaving then will easily get me to the test center on time! Silver linings guys, always pick out the silver linings!

I haven't studied since Sunday. I've glanced and organized a bit this week at and after work, but I was pretty burnt after Sunday evening. I think some mental refresh time will be pretty beneficial at this point. I've also been going to bed at 900 all week which is also paying dividends on how I feel physically. I took tomorrow off from work to travel up to the testing center (2.5 hours away). I'm going to head early and either study in the hotel lobby or find a library nearby until my room is ready. I'll hit the books a bit to just stay warmed up but nothing crazy. I've gone through the NCEES practice exam a few times recently and the breadth hasn't been an issue. I was able to complete in ~2 hours or so. Stupid mistakes were made that I need to watch out for on the test (e.g. dividing by 144 versus multiplying, even if I set it up to be divided by. Not converting in to ft... yup, that should not be happening at this point....). I'd say the stupid mistakes made caused me to get more wrong than not having an idea on how to solve. These mistakes are typical for me when I'm trying to rush, so I need to slow it down slightly and do some double checking. MD is my main weakness in the Breadth sections. Hopefully these questions will be straight forward and limited to what I do understand and can solve within an appropriate amount of time. The Depth will give me a run for my money too. Not on difficulty per se, but on time. With complex questions, it takes me a little while to digest what is given. With most of the questions I understand what they are asking for and a decent idea on a success path to solve... just completing some of these in the 6 minute allotment has been tough. I'll probably utilize the entire 4 hours for the Depth. With how I feel right now, I think I will end up near the cut off score... either right below or right above.

I'm in the phase of "I forgot everything I did" in regards to my 'non-depth' area studying.     The past two days have been in panic mode trying to recap on Fluids, Thermo, and HVAC.   I think I calmed myself down after running back thru a few problems...staying up way too late as a result. 

Trying to get out of work early today and am taking tomorrow off.    My focus has to be on collecting my reference books, fixing up my tabs, and organizing my notes (originally this was my plan for this entire week!).   I also have to run out and get a backup set of batteries for my HP35s tomorrow (would be my luck).     

I too have been screwing up the smallest of things or completely drawing a blank on a problem I was easily able to do a week or so ago. The last 2 days I've been trying to keep myself calm and just browse through the reference materials, adding to my "cheat sheet", and organizing the material that I have. I burned myself out like this just before the FE too but was lucky to pass the first time. I also feel like I will be on the boarder of passing, just hoping for the best.

I took off today and reworked all problems that I missed on both 2001 and 2011 NCEES practice tests first time through, glanced through some select SMS problems, then spent some time beefing up my tabs in Shigley and MERM. Then added a few formulas to my "commonly used/hard to find formula sheet." 

That's about all I'm going to do. I was going to glance over some things tomorrow, but I think I'll get more of a benefit out of being mentally fresh and alert over any cramming I can possibly do at this point.

I made up a checklist for things to bring, so all I have to do tomorrow is pack and relax the whole day.

Back