4-Timers Club

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for your advice. I have thought about taking the Civil-Structural exam, but like you said I really don't want to start over by studying new topics for the morning portion of the exam. The past two times I took the exam I had to be very close to passing. It is very discouraging. I feel like saying screw it, but then again I have invested too much time and effort just to give up. How much time did you put in for studying for the morning portion of the civil exam? I guess I will either go that route or maybe take a refresher course for the SE1.
I studied the Civil Engineering Reference Manual (CERM) for a solid 3.5 months every day for 3 to 4 hours. This was WAY MORE time than I think is required to do well on the Civil morning exam. I had all ready accumulated three notebooks of Structural notes preparing for the Structural I exam and really only read over these once over a two week period. The rest of my time was accumulating and reviewing notes I took while reading through the majority of the Geotechnical, Water Resources, Environmental, and Transportation chapters of the CERM. If your going to cut one of these subjects off, I would recommend Environmental as I found it the most difficult. The morning exam is divided fairly equally among the (5) Civil Engineering disciplines. The Structural portion of the morning exam could be answered by most Structural engineers with minimal preparation.

If I can do it on my 5th try, you all can do it as well. Be honest with yourself and put in the time that you need to get through it. Don't allow yourself to get down for too long, think positive and believe.
First off, let me say congrats to you - I am glad that it finally worked out for you! :)

I am glad you decided to add your sage advice - it is worth A LOT more than :2cents: - honesty with yourself, your prepatory efforts, and your level of familiarity with each subject is KEY to your ultimate success. Of course faith in yourself and your ability to weather the exam plays an important role as well. :)

Thanks again for your addition and best of luck in your future endeavors!

JR

Hi all,I am usually a lurker, but decided to add my 2 cents worth. I passed the October exam on my 5th attempt at it. I was so shocked that I kept looking at the letter to make sure that I wasn't missing something like "Passed.... the spelling of your name portion of the test, but failed the rest. Nice try"

Anyway, I had been close in the past and was sure that I would be taking the exam twice a year for the next 10+ years until I gave up. I have 2 daughters and a very supportive wife, who always believed that I could do it.

I studied for 3 months every night for atleast 2 hours (with only a couple of exceptions) and every weekend for at least 10 hours. Just doing problem after problem. My trouble spots were Geo and Structural, so I gave those subjects more time in first month and then came back to them during the last 2 weeks. I did not take a review course, but did have a lot of study material.

If I can do it on my 5th try, you all can do it as well. Be honest with yourself and put in the time that you need to get through it. Don't allow yourself to get down for too long, think positive and believe.

Anyway, there it is. My sucess story. I just hate to see people get so down on themselves. FWIW I did Transportation my last 3 attempts at the exam after trying Water Resourses 2 times.
Thank you for taking the time to post your story. It's pretty inspirational.

Please accept me into this club (club de brutos-morones!!) , even when April 08' will be my third trial.

It doesn't matter if this will be our 3rd or 4th trial, it makes me feel like a looser anyway.

^^^ Usted no es un perdedor! Usted es justo tomando la trayectoria larga para alcanzar la meta. :)

I did the same thing ... nothing wrong with that! :bananalama:

JR

Please accept me into this club (club de brutos-morones!!) , even when April 08' will be my third trial.
It doesn't matter if this will be our 3rd or 4th trial, it makes me feel like a looser anyway.
Guasabara que paso mi hermano te colgaste? Dale dale pabajo que bruto no eres (quiza moron- es jodiendo). Dale que vamos a ti to el mundo aqui...

Wow jregieng! Very impressive!
I am in Miami this week! I typically brush up on my spanish because this isn't a town where you want anyone thinking you are a tourist! :true:

My default phrase in case I find myself in trouble ....

Donde esta el pollo tropical? Me gustaria el pollo tropical!!

:Locolaugh: :Locolaugh:

JR

I am in Miami this week! I typically brush up on my spanish because this isn't a town where you want anyone thinking you are a tourist! :true:
My default phrase in case I find myself in trouble ....

Donde esta el pollo tropical? Me gustaria el pollo tropical!!

:Locolaugh: :Locolaugh:

JR
I LOVE Miami. The beach, the food, the sights... I need a vacation.

I just wanted to encourage the 4-timers (and more) to keep your chin up, and study hard. I was a member of that club, and every time I log into this site these days, I get to see my name scroll across the top!!!!

THAT alone makes it all worth while!!!!

plus, just knowing that SO MANY others have been down that same road, and gotten it behind them should make you realize that it absolutely doable!

I LOVE Miami. The beach, the food, the sights... I need a vacation.
I hit La Carreta in Kendall - excellent food! I tried ceviche for the first time and loved it! I also hit Key Largo (never been to the keys) for some awesome food as well!

I might have to think about relocation ....
5.gif

JR

Back