29 Days to Go. How do you feel?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too am taking Civil/Structural. I took the NCEES practice test and scored 55/80... I scored 36 on the breadth, missing some of the qualitative but absolutely need to get a better understanding on structures. I too misread some questions and wasted some time (looking at you, moment distribution problem). I feel pretty good that the CERM will guide me to breezing through the breadth, but the structural depth will be tough. I haven't worked in structural engineering, but I have a B.S in structural. I feel pretty good about using ASCE and AISC, and while I haven't ever studied timber, at least the process for wood and the layout of NDS is pretty easy to follow. However, I absolutely hate how the ACI codes are laid out. I think I've gotten a decent grasp of all the codes to be able to answer all the "look up in the code" questions, and most basic structural analysis and mechanics of materials questions are easier for me, but I still struggle with the design analysis problems. 
Have you downloaded PCA's "Notes on ACI-318-11"? It's a free download and I personally prefer to use that over ACI unless I need a detail not listed in PCA notes. It also has several design guides as well as example problems that help you understand how to use the code book. Don't get PCA Notes confused with PCA's Design Guide for Reinforced Concrete. That is also a free download and very useful, but I probably use PCA Notes more

I'm taking Civil/Transportation.  I took the Lindeburg practice exam last weekend and got about 60% right on each section.  My brain was fried by the end of each section.  I've heard that Lindeburg's exam is harder than the actual exam, but I still wish I did better.  At least it's helping me focus my studies this month.  I plan to take the NCEES practice exam about two weeks out so hopefully I'll do better on that one.
If you read the forward for Lindeburg's practice exam, it may give you some peace of mind!

18 days to go! I feel great.

I have done all the CI books and NCEES practice exam.  When will the April 2017 subforum be up btw?

countdown-gif-14.gif

Nothing is worse than the day before the exam. I took the day off from work and planned on studying all day and packing up all of my references but I had studied for over 400 hours up til that point and after about 4 hours of studying and doing practice problems I couldn't do it anymore. I ran out of problems to do and felt as prepared as I could possibly be. I packed up all of my stuff into my suitcase, backpack, and dolly cart and just relaxed, or at least tried to. I kept feeling as if I should be studying but I was simply done. I remember that being a rough day. Although, not as rough and beat down feeling as I did when I walked out of the exam.

good luck all!

As ready as I'm going to get - I'm out of new practice problems and doing the same one over isn't adding anything. I took a few days off next week to get a chance to take a few long bike rides, try to get my mind off work and other issues and focus on the test. I'll probably run through the NCEES practice exam one more time this weekend, but other than that I think I'm done.

I hope everyone has a smooth trip to the exam site, good luck to those traveling far! I lucked out, mine is 15 minuets away from my house with plenty of free parking. 

I feel like I'm as ready as I'm going to be as well.  I'm almost out of problems and sat down and took the ncees practice exam in its entirety this weekend.  I'm going to spend some time this week cleaning up tabs and bookmarks and reviewing some more morning problems.  At this point I just want Friday to get here so this thing is over with!

My advice is don't burn yourself out this week and try to take some time to relax if possible. Good luck to everyone!

Who feels ready? I feel as prepared as I think I could be particularly for the depth portion. I have a checklist of things not to forget to bring and I'm taking Thursday off to relax with the wife.

I keep reviewing but I feel like I have my depth down pretty well and breadth enough to get through. I'm at the point were I'm able to spot little mistakes in sample problems which I've heard is a good sign. Think I am going to spend today going through my depth material, just reading and review, one last time. Tomorrow I'll do the same thing for breadth. Thursday I'm traveling as I live a few hours from my test site. Plan on finding the test site then packing up references and relaxing. Good luck to everyone!!

Looking forward to some cold beers Friday night. 

For some reason, I woke up this morning and feel ready. I was panicking and trying to go over some problems through out the day yesterday and finally decided the hell with it and turned on TNT for the playoffs. I think it was a good decision, I feel relaxed. It is what it is, I will review and check tabs till tomorrow. I'm ready to take the exam for sure, lets home i'm ready to pass it. :) Thanks to all for the support! 

I'm feeling pretty good with three days to go! Mainly just ready to be done with it.

I am continuing to casually do some depth practice problems through tomorrow night. Thursday, I'll be going for a run, making a great dinner, and getting a good night's sleep. Oh, and load my car with all my stuff for the exam.

Best of luck to everyone here! :)

I feel about 90% confident on the breadth and roughly 70% on the depth. I still get nervous when I analyzing structural member design prompts which is a large portion of the test. I feel confident that I'll be able to find the relevant code sections to answer, but I tend to overthink or get overwhelmed by various checks, exceptions, and requirements for choosing the correct equation.

You've all got this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Time to relax, organize, treat yo self and go kick the PE's ass. Can I say that on air?

Back