2016 April Results released

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya the pass rates still fluctuate, but in general seem to be steadily climbing.  I agree with David, I assume its largely due to more study material and a better understanding of what exactly is tested.  

Ya the pass rates still fluctuate, but in general seem to be steadily climbing.  I agree with David, I assume its largely due to more study material and a better understanding of what exactly is tested.  
Does anyone track the volume of test takers?  I know I was encouraged to take it as an alternative to the PE but now my company doesn't encourage it as much since they found so many people have not passed first try.  Do we think there is a correlation to different demographics taking it (maybe more higher level)?  Now I am curious.

In case anyone is interested. It does seem that the pass rates are trending upwards, at least since 2011.

SEPass.PNG

True, but the repeat rate is still very low. It would seem that seeing it once would really help in preparation for next time, but the data implies otherwise. (Or, there are enough folks who just keep trying without studying that it keeps the average low) 

It would also be interesting to see the data on review course vs no review course. These courses are expanding and improving, and are taught by former test takers so there would seem to be a benefit there too. 

Not sure why the repeat pass rate is always so much lower than first time takers, but it is. Obviously those who do not pass the first time generally aren't ready when they take it again. Maybe NCEES scrutinizes repeat tests more closely? Seems odd to publish pass rates for first time takers and repeat takers and always consistently see the repeat pass rate 10-20% points lower.

It would also be interesting to see the data on review course vs no review course. These courses are expanding and improving, and are taught by former test takers so there would seem to be a benefit there too. 
I really wish this data was available, it would be both a very interesting metric of the quality of the course and what those courses were worth from a practical standpoint. As it is, most people tend to have experience with one or none. Very few people take multiple courses from multiple providers so finding an objective review is hard.

Not sure why the repeat pass rate is always so much lower than first time takers, but it is. Obviously those who do not pass the first time generally aren't ready when they take it again. Maybe NCEES scrutinizes repeat tests more closely? Seems odd to publish pass rates for first time takers and repeat takers and always consistently see the repeat pass rate 10-20% points lower.
David, don't you think it might be because the smarter people with better preparation methodologies pass the first time through? It makes sense to me that someone that has failed an exam once is likely to fail it again unless they make a concerted effort to change something about their approach to the exam.

True, but the repeat rate is still very low. It would seem that seeing it once would really help in preparation for next time, but the data implies otherwise. (Or, there are enough folks who just keep trying without studying that it keeps the average low) 
The repeat takers for both the PE and SE has always been low.  

David, don't you think it might be because the smarter people with better preparation methodologies pass the first time through? It makes sense to me that someone that has failed an exam once is likely to fail it again unless they make a concerted effort to change something about their approach to the exam.
Yeah, that makes sense. I guess I'm just more wondering why NCEES splits it between first time takers and repeat takers. I guess to tell the repeat takers they need to either change things up, study more, etc. 

If you are planning on taking the Chemical PE, I have materials (passed first try):

PPI:

6-Minute Solutions, Practice Problems, Quick Reference.

NCEES: Practice Exam. 

Willing to sell for a fair price.

Congratulations Lukus; the word I'm hearing was that bridge lateral was a doozy this year.
Thanks! I felt very prepared and I was very confident about my morning score and about my afternoon score on the last two problems.  But I was really sweating the first PM problem because I felt my answers were not neat enough.  I was really expecting something like 35/40, unacceptable, acceptable, acceptable = fail.   But I passed, so I'll never know my score breakdown! 

Back