100% (or close) valid exams for real life skills

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you, engineergurl and mudpuppy! I plan to take as many as I can at my leisure. This will take me a while but I'm not rushing. As far as questions that I will have along the way, I'll post them here to get some understanding but I am also using this site:

http://www.khanacademy.org/

That site teaches one math and science from the very beginning. I'm talking arithmetic stuff like 1+1 = 2 and then progresses all the way up to advanced math/physics. This will help me tremendously but an area that site unfortunately doesn't cover is the application of mathematics. I get confused about the applications of all but the most obvious mathematics. I'm sure you all can provide clarification when necessary. :)

As for the health test, USMLE, you need to have a Medical degree (4 years med school). They are three steps on the USMLE's, Step 1 is after 2 years of med schol, Step 2, and 3 are after 3rd and 4th years.

So virtually impossible to finish all three steps of the USMLE's in less than 4 years minimum, after a bachelor's degree.

And believe me, there is ton's and ton's of material on those exams. USMLE's put the PE exam to shame as to study material and amount of time needed.

Source: My wife who is studying for her Step 1 USMLE, 2nd year med school.

liveitup:

Do you have your EIT or PE yet?? Try getting those first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to mention how much money this will all cost. Every Doc I know is in debt somewhere in the $200k range, just paying for school. Your GI Bill only covers a 4-year program, at least that's how I understand the benefits. Your plan requires probably 2 bachelor's degrees (which will take you ~6 years to get), 1 3-year JD program, 4(?) years of medical school, and then whatever accounting requires.... You'll be in debt up to your eyeballs, and won't be able to afford a house or a vacation or an iPad.... you get the picture.

I don't think there is any degree offered that is worth the same as work experience and contacts / relationships...

But if you want to be an engineer and desire to learn some accounting, legal, business, then after a few years experience get an MBA, you will get enough info about each to be dangerous!

I'm crushed the FS / PS failed to make your list; private ownership in land is what built (figuratively) this nation - the existence of a legal structure that guarantees the right of clear title in real property seems like important 'real world' skillz to have :rolleyes:

But eating twinkies & killing zombies rocks too

Last edited by a moderator:
@Fracktastic - Thank you for the addition. I didn't even think about surveying, I thought I had everything covered. I'll look into that, thank you.

But if you want to be an engineer and desire to learn some accounting, legal, business, then after a few years experience get an MBA, you will get enough info about each to be dangerous!
http://personalmba.com/best-business-books/

^ What are your thoughts about that? I'm not sure if this is worth it though, as there is no structure to the listed method. But I wanted to look into your recommendation regardless.

@Fracktastic - Thank you for the addition. I didn't even think about surveying, I thought I had everything covered. I'll look into that, thank you.
That's Mr. Fracktastic, and you're welcome my crazy friend! I'm on fire for your zany quest! You are the Jean Girad to everybody's Ricky Bobby :sucks:

That's Mr. Fracktastic, and you're welcome my crazy friend! I'm on fire for your zany quest! You are the Jean Girad to everybody's Ricky Bobby :sucks:
SHAKE AND BAKE!!! and zombies...

You can't be for real dude. The time, money, effort it would take to do even half of this is mind boggeling. Getting initials after your name is easy enough once you've chosen a field (PE, LEED AP, CEM, AIA, etc) but to go after so many unrelated fields is impossible first and most importantly pointless. Pick something you like and learn everything you can about that. Otherwise, if by some miracle you do achieve all this, your only reward will be those letters behind your name. You won't have much value to any one field because you won't know anything except how to pass a test when your done.

Latest posts

Back