crunch time

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denver1000 PE

Reaction score
How are you doing exam-takers? How many of you are taking the MD depth? What are you planning to study in the next 2 weeks? I'm going to do a once-over on everything and retab some books, then probably work a bit on my homemade binder... I'm burning out a bit but hopefully have one in the tank for the big day.

Best of luck to everyone, and thanks to everyone who helped me out on EB - you guys are awesome.

Spend at least one week reviewing the depth topics. It probably saved me when I took it.

I'm in Mexico for my buddy's wedding this weekend. Yes, I brought my books. Planning to go thru HVAC lightly (I totally skipped it before) then get to do a general review and fill in missing tabs of important tables and equations embedded in the MERM text. After that planning to take the 2011 practice exam (most likely will be next week). Then rehash what I need to study up on, then try to relax before the test. Booked a hotel room at Pomona fairgrounds (CA-LA exam site) with a late check out so I can chill in the room during lunch break. No clue whether I'll regret this but I remember wishing I'd done it when I took the EIT in 2009, and having to scarf down my lunch in my car. Preferred not being around anyone else and getting a complex about answers to problems from the morning session.

I'm doing machine design depth.

Anyone know how much space there is to write out problems? I'm rather "roomy" with my calcs and want to know if there is a practical limit to the area of space to work through problems. OR do they provide scratch paper? Let's get vocal these last few weeks and help each other along. Can't wait for it to be over!!

I found there to be plenty of room in the exam booklets. They don't handout scratch paper.

Good idea not to rehash the morning session at lunch. Let it go...take a walk if you can.

That's my plan power-engineer.... will brush up on the am topics this week then machine design topics all week next week. My MERM is completely tabbed right now.... and I chose to write down key formulas in the book if they were obscure or hard to find (for me).... looking forward to being down with this!

Definitely agree with PE on not spending time rehashing the morning. If you read my write up you'll see that I finished with over an hour to spare in both sessions but it was especially helpful in the morning. I grabbed lunch, took a 10 min power nap, and walked around to clear my head before going back in for the afternoon. I highly recommend doing the same if you finish with time to spare.

All good ideas. I recommend that you review unit conversions so that you finish on something simpler and review the appendix of your Merm. (page through so you know where everything is)

Take the last day off.

Will do Jim.

JHW3 - too bad you have to study at your bud's wedding! How deep did you go in your pm review? Did you go all the way into gear fatigue and weld complex shaft loading? Good luck!

What's the process like on exam day - the exam authorization states to show up at 7:15 - does the am test start at 8AM and the pm at 1PM? I took the pencil and paper FE in 08 but I can't recall the exact specifics! This schedule seems about right to me based on what I recall happened during that exam.

This is what my experience was for the Oregon exam.

I got there around 7:00am and was probably 3rd in line. The line soon grew to the full crowd of I would say 100-125. It was nice to get there early to be able to sit down and get situated and familiar with the space.

Then they take about 30 minutes to go over all the rules.

Raise your hand to go to the bathroom.

turn off cell phones.

Keep your exam registration on the table along with your drivers license.

Then they start the timer for 4 hours.

Lunch time comes around when they tell you to stop writing. As i remember they give you a 5 minute and 1 minute warning before they make you put the pencils down.

I just sat outside and had a light lunch. I also brought some anhydrous caffeine powder to give me a bump. I didn't want to break it out during the test because it definitely looks like cocaine and I really didn't want to get kicked out for caffeine powder. I didn't want to being coffee or pop since I wanted all the test time for the actual test and not a bathroom break.

I had to leave the test area as did everybody else. They allow you back in around the 50 minute mark so you can sit down and get settled for the afternoon session. Pretty much the same process as the morning.

The best feeling was leaving. I was about 80% sure I passed. Then my GF picked me up and had a IIPA for me, so I chugged that bad boy in the parking lot and proceeded to go to 2 breweries in town and get multiple taster trays. It was beautiful.

This time next month it will all be over.. Well this phase anyways...
b2af70d48f5bb9d6522518239f4bfd66.jpg

Back