Failed...looking at review courses

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Packman

Reaction score
What are the best online review courses. I know of the ppi2pass one, but is it the best?

Thanks y'all.

i hear testmasters is not bad... make sure u get out your textbooks from school. that will help the most.

I did Test Masters and their binder helped a lot for the afternoon session. I wouldn't trust everything they say about "this will not be on the exam, don't bother" though cause sure enough, stuff showed up. I'd study everything.

If test master is in your area you should at least check it out. Their courses definitely helped me get into the right mindset for test taking. I took the exam in Oct for the first time and passed, FYI.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

I took School of PE as Construction for my depth on my first try. The online class definitely helped me in the afternoon but realized that Construction was just to broad of a subject with so much to study. I failed last April. On my second attempt I reviewed with School of PE again (free for retakers) but this time, took Geotechnical which was more concise and passed! I wouldn't say Geotech was easy but on my 2nd attempt, I studied and alotted more time focusing on my depth and reviewed more on this. School of PE give you a 6 hour depth review which somehow helped me IMO but you shouldn't rely solely on whatever they hand out. I spent a month on reviewing for the morning portion which I heavily depended on SoPE notes and alotted about two months for depth. Good luck

School of PE is good.

James Kamm okay but study all afternoon sessions

I used PPI's review program. I think it helped me with some types of problems but I think it was a little overpriced. All it did was teach me how to organize all of the material in the MERM reference. I honestly just looked at tons of practice problems and organized them with an index for the day of the exam. I passed on the first try. Good luck!

I didn't have the money to take a class, so I started by watching some of the videos @ TAMU's free online review. It is like 10 years old, so not everything applies, but if you've been away from school for a while, it is a good place to start. I also bought the CERM and read it front to back before my first attempt (Civil Const), but failed pretty badly 42/80. I bought the new Goswami and read it front to back and did more problems this time around and passed! I wouldn't give all the credit to Goswami, but having both gives two angles. You won't find many problems in either book that are exactly like the test, so use them to familiarize yourself with the subjects. Many of the questions are kind of backward of how you learned to do them, like they'll give you what you normally would solve for and you will have to be able to do the problem backward. Or, they'll mess with the units or something, so be on your toes! Most of the problems are solvable with the limited resources i had (I also couldn't afford all of the recommended books) but you have to have a real grasp on things, not just be able to regurgitate problems. So: get as many of the recommended books you can (beg, borrow, don't steal) there will be problems where you can find them and be done literally in 30 seconds. There are many resources for free blogs, etc here on this forum. Use them. I do wish I had the money for a class a year ago. It has been a long year. I do think you need at least 6 months of study time, depending on your level of skill and family committments, etc. Good luck guys!

School of PE is my recommendation because I took it and passed last April after I failed the previous October.

Thinking about signing up review course too..but school of PE schedule is pretty crazy...Sat/Sun 10am-7pm!

Thinking about signing up review course too..but school of PE schedule is pretty crazy...Sat/Sun 10am-7pm!
Its actually until 6 and then you can stay after and ask questions if you need additional help. They were long weekends I will admit but there are a lot of breaks where you do problems on your own and they give lunch breaks and general breaks.

Since I missed the deadline for October 2012, I applied for April 2013 on late July-2012, but surprisingly I received a letter at the end of August which says "I can sit for October 2012 exam" thus I could study with textbooks only in this limited time frame (PPI for 1.5 months - just weekends). I made an Index sheet for sample questions of PPI and NCEES and that really helped me in exam and I passed !!

PPI Passing Zone, at-home study. I enrolled in Jan 2012 and made plans to test in Oct 2012. Passed, first attempt.

During the 12-week PZ, it was pretty tough to keep up with the reading & assignments every week, as I've been out of school for 21 years. But by running through all of it first, I got a good idea on where I needed to really focus. Then had summer (OK, not much done then) and fall to learn my weaker areas. Then heavily reviewed & practiced in the last couple of weeks before the test.

The PPI book was very good, but the weekly emailed 'supplements' were golden. I printed out every one, and was very glad to have done so. They included areas that are not (yet) in the big reference manual, but were on the test. PPI is definitely paying attention to the exam topic lists.

Good luck!

Dr. Mansour's Seismic/Transportation material is very good and organized. His lectures are OK, sometimes he goes off on tangents talking about fundamentals yet he will try his best to answer specific questions you have. I took his last course and most of it was online webinars.

/>http://www.passpe.com/registration/seismicnewreg.html

The best thing about his course is that he allows for limitless free retakes of his course. There may be small fee for new material if there is any on retakes.

I'm still waiting for CA results so... don't know how well it helped...

I did Test Masters and their binder helped a lot for the afternoon session. I wouldn't trust everything they say about "this will not be on the exam, don't bother" though cause sure enough, stuff showed up. I'd study everything.

If test master is in your area you should at least check it out. Their courses definitely helped me get into the right mindset for test taking. I took the exam in Oct for the first time and passed, FYI.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2
Inktomie - are you willing to sell your testmasters notes?

Back