Failed...looking at review courses

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't pass the Power Exam last April, so I signed up for the School of PE's online class. I did the Monday-Thursday format for 4 weeks. It is a great class that enabled me to pass the Power exam (received my results in the mail on 12/15/12-Alabama).

Writing in reference to the Mechanical PE!

Took the online School of PE classes. Good thing is that you solve some problems in the class. Information was looked up simultaneously in the MERM. Works even better if you have already gone through the main topics before the class. Not enough time to solve everything in their notes but gives a good feel of various problem types.

As for PPI, had the notes which seemed somewhat outdated. Focussed quite a bit on tough / lengthy problems - somewhat similar to the 1 hr questions in the practice problems. Have heard that they have only person taking all the classes. No problems are solved during the class & homework (MERM practice problems) submitted seperately.

Hope this would give some perspective.

PPI has loads of reference material available. Worth spending every penny on the books. I used these books to pass the Civil-Transportation a 2nd time after not having them the first time last year. I also did a lot of self-study which made preparation a lot better.

I took a class sponsored by a local ASCE, 3 hours on Wed. nights for 6 weeks. I'll let you know if it helped when I get my results.

:mail-296:

I utilized Dr. Mansour's Construction/Seismic/Surveying Material (Books and DVD's). The DVD's especially seismic were extremely helpful as one could replay them over at ones pace rather than in a rushed classroom environment.

I utilized Dr. Mansour's Construction/Seismic/Surveying Material (Books and DVD's). The DVD's especially seismic were extremely helpful as one could replay them over at ones pace rather than in a rushed classroom environment.
Since Civil Construction is still relatively new I studied everything I could get my hands on - the above mentioned books; I took a PERC class here in NYC; Goswami; the other construction book by the guy with very bad english and bad diagrams (sorry I can't remember the name of em); CERM was a waste of money as it's not an easy book to study from for the Construction portion; the NCEES sample <- I must have done that exam 15 times while studying, just to make sure I could do their questions.

Good Luck!

Took School of PE and passed the WR/Env afternoon on the first try. To me it was worth the money/time. I used my review notes on probably 70-80% of the exam questions.

I personally did not like School of PE. They are great at getting you ready for the morning exam, but not that great for the afternoon depth portion of the exam (WR). I used them the first time around, did awesome in the morning(39/40) and bombed the afternoon portion(13/40). They do have recorded sessions, so if you miss a day you can go back later in the week and watch the class (that was a plus as I was working most weekends the lectures were schedule for)

The second go around, I looked at my diagnostics, and bought a three month pass to the exam cafe at ppi2pass.com. They have options that allow you set it up like a timed exam. There were a few typos in their problems, but for $65 you cant really complain. For exam day, I brought the orginal note from school of pe, I had a bind full of solved problems from ppi2pass, and about 6 books (CERM, Metcalf & Eddy, Water Treatment Handbook, Environmental Textbook, Open Channel Hydraulics, by Chow, and Groundwater Hydrology)

I didn't use any classes, and I am a terrible test taker who had a below avg college gpa, I passed on the first try mainly using the MERM and the supplements, problems, and practice exam that are by the same author, also used 6 minute solutions for my mechanical discipline, and NCESS practice exam.

I did cancel a previous exam that I studied for, so I think studying the previous year did help this time around.

I think taking two real time practice exams(like 9 hours on a Saturday) in the weeks leading up to exam made a big difference.

I also tabbed everything as I studied, and then I re-tabbed later after figuring out what I really needed and didn't really need.

I took testmaster and passed. It was the only prep I did for the exam. I took Water and their binder was the only references I used besides lindeburg which I used as a dictionary. If you sit through all the classes you will be ready for the exam.

Used James Kamm CD-Rom Mech Engineer PE refresher course for the Mech PE. I studied only HVAC Afternoon the first time and did not pass. I studied and watched all three section the second time and passed the Oct 12 Thermal / Fluids test. The Kamm course can be watched over and over and comes with practice problems, charts, etc. It is a good course and follows the MERM 12th edition. It condenses the material a lot. I primarily used this material, worked problems from MERM, NCEES practice exam, and old EIT problems.

Used James Kamm CD-Rom Mech Engineer PE refresher course for the Mech PE. I studied only HVAC Afternoon the first time and did not pass. I studied and watched all three section the second time and passed the Oct 12 Thermal / Fluids test. The Kamm course can be watched over and over and comes with practice problems, charts, etc. It is a good course and follows the MERM 12th edition. It condenses the material a lot. I primarily used this material, worked problems from MERM, NCEES practice exam, and old EIT problems.
For the EIT, I reviewed a School of PE course with the Mechanical Afternoon online course and it was good as well.

I passed ME PE (Machine Design Depth) first time after 15 years out of school.

I used PPI's review course from home via streaming video.

I probably wouldn't have passed without it. The course was valuable

in that the instructor guided me on what not to worry about for the

exam so I could focus on what likely would be on the exam.

The recorded videos are almost better than a live course since you have the

ability to rewind the lecture to understand key points - which I thought was useful..

Sometimes, I found myself drifting and would rewind if I needed to.

The message board allowed me to post problems I was having with the homework to the instructor.

He was an excellent teacher (Richard Davis) and was entertaining as well (for me anyway).

Also, I did not work all of the problems assigned (due to work, a hurricane, and my wife having our first baby - in that order all prior to the exam in Sept and October).

I did make it a point to work almost all of the example problems in each section.

I skipped the 1 hour problems unless the instructor advised us to work them.

I also used James Kamm's morning and afternoon review CD's. I thought they were helpful as well.

Dr. Mansour's Seismic/Transportation material is very good and organized. His lectures are OK, sometimes he goes off on tangents talking about fundamentals yet he will try his best to answer specific questions you have. I took his last course and most of it was online webinars.

http://www.passpe.co...smicnewreg.html

The best thing about his course is that he allows for limitless free retakes of his course. There may be small fee for new material if there is any on retakes.

I'm still waiting for CA results so... don't know how well it helped...
Results are... I PASSED, NCEES 8hr civil/tranportation exam. Goes to show you his course worked. This was my first time taking it, and I felt his material was very organized and detailed with step by step solutions in comparison with a few other review course materials I have seen from my colleagues.

His material was particularly organized and detailed in regards to the seismic material for CA's state exam. I have yet to hear the results for the state exams though... we will see.

I did not take any courses. But I used the MERM, its Practice Problem, and PPI handouts.

I graduated 10 years ago with civil bs, 5 years ago with environment ms. I have very weak mechanical background.

I attended the School of PE online classes and ,overall, found them very helpful. I paid maximum attention to the core stuff in all subjects and extra attention to my afternoon discipline (WR). It's half your test score. I thought they did a fine job with water, structures, transpo. an geotech. Construction seemed top heavy for what I saw on the AM test. Overall, If your pressed for time or a procrastinator or have anxiety over the exam that might prevent you from preparing properly spend the money. It's worth it when you get the "Congratulations" letter.

Dr. Mansour's Seismic/Transportation material is very good and organized. His lectures are OK, sometimes he goes off on tangents talking about fundamentals yet he will try his best to answer specific questions you have. I took his last course and most of it was online webinars.

The best thing about his course is that he allows for limitless free retakes of his course. There may be small fee for new material if there is any on retakes.

I'm still waiting for CA results so... don't know how well it helped...
Results are... I PASSED, NCEES 8hr civil/tranportation exam. Goes to show you his course worked. This was my first time taking it, and I felt his material was very organized and detailed with step by step solutions in comparison with a few other review course materials I have seen from my colleagues.

His material was particularly organized and detailed in regards to the seismic material for CA's state exam. I have yet to hear the results for the state exams though... we will see.
Passed All 3 California exams on first try. Thank you Dr. Monsour.

Back