Old Video Games

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csb

Reaction score
Yesterday, for some reason, I recalled an old video game I played briefly. It was a free trial from AOL based on the movie Spaceship Troopers. I had to laugh once I found it for several reasons:

1. I had AOL?! (And it was a big deal to have the unlimited minutes package...)

2. The gameplay had to have been rudimentary at best.

3. My GPA could have been a lot better if wasn't shooting fake bugs over dial-up...

It wasn't a favorite or mainstay, but made me wonder...what were your favorite video games?

Yesterday, for some reason, I recalled an old video game I played briefly. It was a free trial from AOL based on the movie Spaceship Troopers. I had to laugh once I found it for several reasons:

3. My GPA could have been a lot better if wasn't shooting fake bugs over dial-up...

It wasn't a favorite or mainstay, but made me wonder...what were your favorite video games?
Back in 1989 I was in fourth grade and at the grocery store there was an arcade game called Heavy Barrel! I got so good at it the I could beat the entire game with one quarter. That was some awesome low cost entertainment.

Oregon Trail.

Starship Troopers?

Back in the day ('90-96-ish):

-Chrono Trigger

-Final Fantasy 3 / VI (3 US, VI Japan/US re-release)

-Final Fantasy 2 / IV

-Dragon Warrior 3

-Romance of the Three Kingdoms (the SNES version... III? IV?)

-Super Metroid

Now? I still consider myself a gamer. I play the following at least once every 6 months or so.

-World of Warcraft

-Wii Fit (it helps me keep up on my exercise, since I live in allergy valley and have asthma)

-Super Smash Brothers Melee (Gamecube version) - great party game.

-Mario Kart Double Dash (Gamecube) - great party game.

-Battlefield 1942 (Desert Combat addon) or Battlefield 2

-Lego series of games (co-op w/ wife)

-Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (when I have time to play on my own... which is rare)

I still play Chrono Trigger and those two Final Fantasy games sometimes, but rarely.

we had a game called River Raid for the Atari 2600 that I spent a lot of time with.

Most of the classics: Pac Man, Ms Pac Man, Frogger, and Tapper (the Budweiser version)

Back in 1989 I was in fourth grade and at the grocery store there was an arcade game called Heavy Barrel! I got so good at it the I could beat the entire game with one quarter. That was some awesome low cost entertainment.
Video games are still fantastically cheap entertainment, depending on how much time you spend in them. I once worked out that I had spent less than $0.25 per hour of gameplay in an MMO. Of course, that was when I was somewhat obsessed with that game, and was a "raid leader" (ie, "coach" for a team of 25+ players whose interests and skill levels varied).

Final Fantasy VI and Resident Evil on the PS1.

On the NES, I used to play Master Blaster for HOURS. I can't believe they haven't done a remake of that. With today's graphics, a flash game would be awesome.

atari pitfall, and burger time, qbert

8bit nintendo tetris, dr mario, all 3 super mario bros

original gameboy - tetris...we use this to get minisnick to use the toliet. he can only play with the gameboy if he is sitting on the potty.

Final Fantasy VI and Resident Evil on the PS1.
On the NES, I used to play Master Blaster for HOURS. I can't believe they haven't done a remake of that. With today's graphics, a flash game would be awesome.
Actually, it was Blaster Master. Master Blaster was a different game for the Amiga, released in 1994.

There were apparently 4 or 5 different Blaster Master games. The one for the Playstation, at least, is a 3D version. And it was terrible.

Of course, I'm not a huge fan of 3d action-adventure games.

Pong

Asteroids

Zaxxon

Twin Tigers

Wizard of Wor

Donkey Kong

BOLO

LodeRunner

Galaga

Spy Hunter

Oregon Trail.

Starship Troopers?
Good catch.

My parents still have a fully functional Colecovision game system in their basement. We played a LOT of Donkey Kong on that one.

EDIT: Posted at the same time as CW- we also played a ton of Zaxxon.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Dig Dug (arcade)

2. Moon Patrol (arcade, not Atari 2600)

3. Mortal Kombat (the game is crap but I love it)

4. Battletoads

Heavy Barrel is a great one, it is hard to find the rotary joysticks.

I loved me some NES and SNES back in the day. All of the SMB games, original Zelda (I haven't really played anything other than the original...never got into the 3-D versions), Kid Icarus, etc.

original gameboy - tetris...we use this to get minisnick to use the toliet. he can only play with the gameboy if he is sitting on the potty.
If we did that, my son would ALWAYS be on the pot.

8-bit: Most of the "Konami" games, Punch-Out, RC Pro-Am, all the Castlevanias, Tecmo Bowl

16-bit: Altered Beasts, Sonic, Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct, DK Country, F-zero, Street Fighter 2

32-bit: Sega CD linked with 32x = waste of allowance, Resident Evil, Twisted Metal 1 & 2, Tekken

64-bit: Goldeneye 007 was a huge hit in college to the point where we would hold tourneys, Mario Kart, Resident Evil, Turok, Star Fox

PC: Quake 2, Half-Life, Counter-Strike, Grand Theft Auto, SWG, Age of Mythology

Matt Sanchez said in an interview that he'd wanted more than once to fight his coach, Rex Ryan.

Then the radio host Jim Rome recommended Sanchez practice for Ryan by doing a few rounds with King Hippo ... had not heard that name in awhile.

Xevious

Chain of Command

Rainbow Six

Subspace/Continuum

Rampage

Most of the others mentioned.

Back