photo CHPE_AnimatedWebBanner_650x1202_zps5704d467.gif
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nickarus

AE PE April 2011

52 posts in this topic

I have not enough time to prepare for my examine. so i have to squeeze time to study.

Hey Brian... I am taking the Architectural PE exam in Delaware in April 2012.

Wow, it's great to hear from someone! How long have you been studying for the exam? I guess that I started in late September. I've been mostly studying MEP from the M&E Equipment for Buildings book up to this point. How about you? Have you found a good study technique?

Anyways, are you also an AE like me? From where and when did you graduate? I was Penn State AE '02.

Brian

huh....first I've ever heard of a Architectural Engineering PE. Tried reading about it online, but I can't figure out what they do exactly.

Double-check your state's statutes and/or rules.

Arizona has a specific definition for what Architectural Engineering entails.

I am also attempting to get my AE PE license, and it seems to be relatively easy since I'm already an architect. Someone at the state board mentioned that architects typically get involved in all disciplines. Not that that is the prerequisite, but since AE PE is still relatively new, they're reviewing everyone's qualifications on a case-by-case basis.

Especially with those individuals who have no college experience.

Sounds like a move for architecture go back to Master Builder Status. ...

Bingo.

Next up after AE PE is my GC license.

I am taking the AE PE in April in NJ. My email address is atlasshruggedoff@yahoo.com of you are interested in a study group. I am also researching study materials to purchase.

To date here is a list of the study materials I researched and have bought. Some of them came form the list pf references in the A/E Principles and Practices.

• PE Mechanical: HVAC and Refrigeration Sample Questions and Solutions
  • Principles and Practice of Engineering Architectural Engineering Sample Questions and Solutions
  • Standard Handbook of Architectural Engineering
  • 2012 International Building Code
  • 2012 International Mechanical Code
  • National Electrical Code 2008 (National Fire Protection Association)
  • Mechanical and Electrical Equipment for Buildings
  • Civil engineering reference manual
  • 4 ASHRAE HANDBOOKS 84-91 IP EDITION 1984 Systems1986 Refrigeration1989 Fundamentals1991 Applications

I feel confident I have decent basis of reference materials.

BKeefer01 is interested in an online study group using this forum. If Bartlett J wants to join, you are more than welcome.

At this point, I am reviewing the sample ??? to determine where I need to concentrate. Structural and Electrical are my key areas to focus on for now.

Great information! Thank you very much!

Questions for previous test takers!

In the practice exam book, there are some questions such as 107, 505, and 506 that depend on excerpts/tables from the various resource books of the AEI-published resource list (most commonly found seems to be ASCE 7).

My first question is whether the excerpts/tables are printed along with the problem on the actual exam just as it is in the practice exam book. Or do we have to make sure to bring all of the reference books with us and the question on the actual exam will only make reference to the book without printing the excerpt? I ask this because I was wondering if I really have to track down and bring all of the books on the reference list.

My second question....So does this mean that, for example, you brought the entire ASCE 7 manual with you to the exam or just a few photocopied excerpts.

Brian

What did you do to study for the structural portion of the exam? It's my weakest area so I'd like to focus on that.

Has anyone looked into purchasing the NCEES Civil Structural Practice problems?

This is what I get for specializing in Environmental when I studied my AE degree....haha.

Please don't read this if you plan to go through the Principles and Practice of Engineering book all at once like a practice exam.

But I'm sorry, I don't understand and reservedly disagree with the answer found in the back of this book for problem #108:

108. The term for the ratio of the Luminance leaving a surface area to the illuminance arriving on the surface is:

a. Exitance

b. Transmittance Factor

c. Luminance Factor

d. Luminous Flux

Option d deals with the amount of emanating from a source, so that is out.

My first thought is that the answer was exitance, which is a measure of light leaving a surface. But then I realized that it wasn't a ratio of leaving to arriving luminance. Still quite unsure, I deduced it might have to be either transmittance or luminance factor. The problem is that the word "leaving" is quite ambiguous and even though I have checked the answer in the back of the book to be c, I can't explain why.

Does any have sound logic on this issue that will help me gain confidence to move past this problem?

Sounds like a poorly worded question honestly. "C" is a ratio under ideal circumstances, and that's not specified in the quesiton; whereas "A" is more defined as the ability to emit radiation. "C" would be the "most correct" answer, albeit the question is flawed.

Simply my 2 cents, nothing more.

I'd also recommend "simplified engineering for architects and builders, 11th ed." and "foundation design, principles and practices, 2nd ed.". Almost every structural problem in the AEI practice exam I could find a reference for in the simplified text.

- Dave

Philadelphia, PA

(taking NY AE PE)

Anyone out there have any insight into this question? I see what they're doing, but wanted to understand better why they calculate the area the way they did.

Thanks,

- Dave

Philadelphia, PA

Flux is defined as flow per unit area , Exitance is M Lumens per square meters . Since the question is about ratio ( unitless ) A and D are impossible . Between transmitance , transmitance (rate) sounds like the best answer However ZEN MASTER once said : when the light leave a room the room gets dark and when the light returns to the room luminates again ! Rate of light / no light. Luminous (lumiere) rate light to no light is the correct answer.

Bullshit ? well , maybe

April 2012, Maryland

So, how did everyone fare?  Thoughts, opinions, horror stories..please do tell.

I personally have no idea if I passed or not, especially being a first-time test taker. For any of you repeat takers, do you feel it was easier or more difficult than the previous time?

Brian

I think he mentioned in the post that he used what was formerly the Structural I NCEES sample exam. The NCEES civil/ structural depth sample exam will give you the same effect, though, and it will be current with codes.

Also, this was a great post that Nick put together summarizing what works in terms of preparing for the PE Exam. Thanks!

Anyone else taking the April 2013 AE PE? What books are you studying? Want to form an online study group?

I took the PE Power for the second time last friday. I'm an electrical construction consulting engineer. The Power exam goes way to much into depth of the inter working of Power equipment. If I don't pass it this time I will be taking AE PE this spring. I'm interested in an online study group, as well as knowing what reference materials are to be used.

I was wondering if anyone utilized or has purchased the ARE Review Manuel and if this was of any benefit

I plan on taking it. I'm not really sure what study materials to utilize. It seems there is a reference guide for every exam out there but the AE. The following thread was linked in the 2012 AE PE exam thread. Take a look for study materials.

/>http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showtopic=16252

What did you do to study for the structural portion of the exam? It's my weakest area so I'd like to focus on that.

Has anyone looked into purchasing the NCEES Civil Structural Practice problems?

This is what I get for specializing in Environmental when I studied my AE degree....haha.

So, if you are reading this, you are preparing for the Architectural Engineering PE exam and have realized that there are few resources available. I went through the same thing. To help out any future exam-takers, I decided to blog about what I did when, what I found useful, etc.

The blog is located here: www.aepeexam.blogspot.com. In about 2 months I will either be adding topics regarding what to do after you pass, or covering how to re-apply and what to do for your second time around....

Hope it helps, and feel free to ask any questions!

I'm thinking of taking the AE PE. I'm looking for specification on what makes people eligilbe to take this PE? For some reason I keep getting the feeling that one is required to have a PE in another disapline prior to taking the AE PE, kinda like the SE. Many thanks for any advise. Note: I'm about a year out from being eligible to take a PE.