The Automotive Thread - Page 19 - Shoot the Breeze - Engineer Boards Jump to content
Engineer Boards

Well our home refi is complete, so now it's time to retire the bird (just after I got it running no less). Doing some shopping tonight on a used 2005 4Runner. It's a clean Limited trim option, power moon roof, racks, tow hitch, and has 111k on it. They're asking 16.5k so we'll see how much they value the power 80's trade-in. If not I might have to Craig's list it or something.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well i did it.  She has a few minor issues, but this is by far the coolest thing i have ever owned.

Tractor Update: Finally got a little bit of decent weather to support cleaning, blasting, and painting.  We had two nice days last week before the weather turned back to crap so we shifted the sc

Posted Images

7/8 years old and 111k and they want $16.5k? wow.

My brother just got rid of an '03 4-wheel Suburban with ~130k and they gave him $3500. He went online on one of these "we buy your car" sites. The site had a detailed form to fill out and comes back with an assessed value. It says if you're truthful, that's what they'll pay you. He came up at $6500, so he figured he'd give it a shot. He goes to the dealer, with my SIL following so they can leave the Suburban behind, and the guy ran "his own version of the program" and came back at $3k. My brother told him to screw (he did not like the salesman's attitude).

So he does it again and comes up with the same value. Takes it to another local wholesale buyer. This guy gives him a similar song but came across as a sort of decent fellow. My brother just wanted the car gone so he took he the cash. You know that suburban is on a lot somewhere for $8500-$10000.

Used cars is where dealers make their money. They don't make much at all on new cars. (My dad sold cars for 20+ years). The big dealers pump out the new car sales and eke out a little profit just on volume, but they turn over the used cars for their real profits.

Selling a car via craigslist isn't that bad. Find your price, add a small % for negotiations, and stick to your guns.

I bought a 96 Bronco for $2k, did some small fixes to it, then listed it for $3500 knowing I only wanted $3k. After a couple of weeks, someone finally came by, liked what they saw and bought it for $3k. Had my own bill of sale drafted up, he signed it. Done deal.

I've bought and sold off Craigslist and its just how much of the game you want to play...

I've had a decent experience with car max also, but that was 7+ years ago...

I've had a few old cars I just wanted to go away...

Here it is lads, the new addition to the family. The 2005 4Runner, limited w/ most all options, 111k miles, for $15.2k this evening. Was probably still $500 too high based on the KBB for Private Party but this was through a Toyota dealer and I didn't feel like nickle pinching those poor bastards any more. It's a nice ride (till something breaks, science forbid...), would have probably wondered off soon if I didn't make a move. JSYK, I was told by the financing guy at the end that we just made some 13' cutoff date for the rates we got, in case anyone is out looking. We locked in a 60mo. for 2.75% w/ sub $250/mo payments but will be shooting our eye out to pay this pup off by xmas next year. .......HO... HO... HO!

01500e9b0a0a006501cda81e7c54962c.jpgtumblr_ldj9xeuuNx1qcrhd0o1_500.gif

^The redneck in me thinks those trucks look cool. The :wv: farmer in me always wondered why anybody would raise the center of gravity and put the tailgate that much higher off the ground.

^The redneck in me thinks those trucks look cool. The ::wv:: farmer in me always wondered why anybody would raise the center of gravity and put the tailgate that much higher off the ground.

That's why I always like the Comanche's and J-10 pickups. 4wd and low bed heights.

Time for a 6" lift and 33s, like my friends did to their 4runner.

Wife will probably put the kibosh on that, so I'll have to save it for the Wrangler Rubicon once we get the 4Runner square.

0709or_01+2007_jeep_wrangler_jk_rubicon+large.jpg

Here it is lads, the new addition to the family. The 2005 4Runner, limited w/ most all options, 111k miles, for $15.2k this evening. Was probably still $500 too high based on the KBB for Private Party but this was through a Toyota dealer and I didn't feel like nickle pinching those poor bastards any more. It's a nice ride (till something breaks, science forbid...), would have probably wondered off soon if I didn't make a move. JSYK, I was told by the financing guy at the end that we just made some 13' cutoff date for the rates we got, in case anyone is out looking. We locked in a 60mo. for 2.75% w/ sub $250/mo payments but will be shooting our eye out to pay this pup off by xmas next year. .......HO... HO... HO!

01500e9b0a0a006501cda81e7c54962c.jpgtumblr_ldj9xeuuNx1qcrhd0o1_500.gif

That's a sweet ride. I like the color too. We bought a new 2011 back about 15 months ago. Same color. I love the thing. It might ride a bit like a truck, but that's what we need here in the mountains. They are very capable off road. Ho ho ho.

We locked in a 60mo. for 2.75% w/ sub $250/mo payments but will be shooting our eye out to pay this pup off by xmas next year. .......HO... HO... HO!

The bank ok'd a 60mo term on a 7/8 year old vehicle? Cool. It's always nice to get the payments stupid low then turn around and pay it off early. Helps having that cushon helps.

Are those 3 rows of seating?

Fixt. This was an option, but didn't come on the one we bought. I think you can still get them after market as I've seen them on other listings, but we won't for the dogs. The whole reason we were leaning to the 4runner was for the rear window roll down feature. Perfect space back there for our two fur balls. My Ram seats 5 comfortably, but then the dogs have to free ball it in the back and they hate that. Now they won't have to.

We locked in a 60mo. for 2.75% w/ sub $250/mo payments but will be shooting our eye out to pay this pup off by xmas next year. .......HO... HO... HO!

The bank ok'd a 60mo term on a 7/8 year old vehicle? Cool. It's always nice to get the payments stupid low then turn around and pay it off early. Helps having that cushon helps.

Yeah, my thinking exactly. We could have even gotten the 72, but It really didn't matter at that point. My truck is the same year, and has been paid off for 5. If we can get the new to us ride off the books, we should be sitting fine in a couple years for either a Jeep Rubicon or a 67' chevelle. Haven't thought that far ahead.

Time for a 6" lift and 33s, like my friends did to their 4runner.

Sorry about your pen!s....

Ha ha ha, it's my FEMALE friend's 4runner so I don't think she'd be offended.

They live in CO, where there is ample opportunity to actually benefit from a lifted vehicle. My jeep only has a 2" lift, so I'm not compensating or anything. . .

Are those 3 rows of seating?

Fixt. This was an option, but didn't come on the one we bought. I think you can still get them after market as I've seen them on other listings, but we won't for the dogs. The whole reason we were leaning to the 4runner was for the rear window roll down feature. Perfect space back there for our two fur balls. My Ram seats 5 comfortably, but then the dogs have to free ball it in the back and they hate that. Now they won't have to.

Put 'em in a cage and tie 'em down like a good republican....they love that.