Your first bike!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a 79 or 80 Hutch BMX , it was SWEET, until my foot slipped off a petal (because the bike was too big) and raked the petal down my shin. I had a full length scab down my shin.

But it healed, then about 3 months later, I was going to fast down a hill wrecked it into the ditch, I went over the handle bars and got 10 stitches in my upper lip.

I had a hard time with that bike.

Not a "bike", but the first wheeled item that I almost died on.

Looking back, it's a wonder I made it through the ages of 6 - 10.

Find the largest hill you could find, tear down it and halfway pull the levers. You'd (hopefully) spin the entire way down. Hopefully, because occasionally the back wheels would hit a hole and you'd go tumbling down the rest of the way. Finally one day the frame broke under the seat, causing the back axle to separate from the rest of the machine. Of course, this was mid-spin on the hill. I imagine the wreck to have looked very similar to when NASCARs start flipping in the air.

This and my GI Joe Space Shuttle deal were the two greatest toys from my childhood.

toys326d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back