Writing the SE Exam - International

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manimani

Reaction score
Has anyone had experience with writing a pencil and paper exam during COVID when you are not from the STATES (I live in Canada).

Im planning to write for State of Washington and previously (prior to COVID) I just drove down for 2 hours wrote the exam and went home. But obviously I can't do that as the borders are closed.

Does this just mean I can't write it indefinitely till the restrictions are over?

Thank You.

Hi Manimani,

Sorry to hear about your bad experience, but unfortunately, NCEES did cancel some of
the April 2020 exam site. My last "successful" enter to USA was March 2020, to re-take
my CBT (Computer-Based Test) of both Seismic and Survey. I am from Taiwan (entered
the country with ESTA valid VISA) though I did work in New York and Los Angeles (CH2M-
Hills & Caltrans) for couple of years, so the NCEES still allowed me to take 8-Hrs on and
off as long as I saved-up enough money for flight ticket and expensive registration fee.

However, the "Travel Ban" was essential and critical. Last March 2020, I didn't fly to
LAX (where the COVID-19 situation hasn't become too terrible). I entered Ontario
International Airport w/o any trouble. My CBT Seismic Exam was on March 06 2020
in Anaheim. But the terrible thing was when I was packing/unpacking books and
luggage from one hotel (near very clean and beautiful Ontario Intl' Airport) down
to Anaheim (Orange County), Trump's Travel Ban suddenly went up from "Leve-1" to
"Level-3", so all of a sudden within that week, almost ALL the highways ramps on
Rte-57/60, Rte-210/10 all got CHP after 5PM to put travelers (with rental car) to
re-examine your DMV Driver's License and ID. (I still keep my SSN# so didn't get
into much trouble).

But the night after my March 06 Seismic Exam, I left Anaheim by 8pm after dinner,
but it ended up taking me almost 4.5 hrs to drive from Anaheim back to Ontario:
CHP almost closed ALL the on-ramp of all the major highways!! (Trust me, it's really
not owing to the construction). I arrived my hotel close to 1AM, and the next day,
they urge me heading to Ontario International Airport ASAP as some freights will
be cancelled after the "Level-3 Travel Ban". Now both Eva Air & China Airline can
only get into LAX.

Similar to your situation, I sincerely hope this COVID-19 can be phased out, so at
least I can re-take my paper-and-pencil exam and passed it!

Back