Working Overseas

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ODB_PE

I'm not an engineer, but I play one at work
Reaction score
it seemed like this might be an appropriate place for this thread:

Sometimes, when I daydream, I think it would be cool to work and raise the family overseas.

Today I saw a job posting for exactly what I do in Sydney with a pretty good salary.

Things that make you go hmmmm.

Anyhow, I know many of you work overseas - I figured there's probably some good resources out there but I don't know where to begin. This is very much a pipe dream, but it would be nice to hear some thoughts on the matter, such as:

• Nobody likes americans
  • The taxes will kill you
  • Hidden costs such as XXX are outrageous
  • nobody will give you a Visa

Stuff like that. Personal opinions of Sydney itself are not needed, as my only general requirements would be that the majority speak english and the area is not in conflict.

TIA

my kids traveled to Australia a few years ago and found the people very friendly.

If you have a skill that is in demand, such as structural engineering, they will give you a visa. They just won't let any deadbeat in ;) but you should not have a problem.

look at what that guy up in Perth had working as a truck driver and then a carpet store clerk.

looks like a pretty cool adventure. sure, it's not the Northern Marianas Islands, but then its not the Northern Marianas islands.

Australia is very nice. If you could get paid well there, you should consider it. Check that the advertised salary is in Australian dollars - not sure what the exchange rate is, it used be pretty low-valued. I've known a few people who have taken jobs in Australia, so I know it's not impossible. I might even consider moving there one day. I'm less thrilled about moving to places in the US mainland.

But, just as a comment on your original statement, I don't think it is really different enough to give those "living abroad" experiences that are supposedly so good for kids. For that, I think, you need to consider living somewhere far less like the US. To me, Australia is virtually the same as the US, just with different accents, less crime, and driving on the wrong side of the road.

I loved living/working in Italy for five years... It's one thing to vacation (experience the sites and food) but another entirely to live (experience the culture)!

If you can get into the Civil Service, there plenty of job opportunities overseas. Otherwise, there are some large companies that have offices in the US and foreign countries - these should make it easier to find a job. Worst-case, you can go the expat route... but I think employment becomes much more difficult.

Many of your questions depend specifically on the country and circumstances... pick a country and do some googling. For example, "expatriate italy" will give you more hits than you can handle.

I'd suggest you reconsider about not working in a country where you don't know the language - forget what they say about old dogs and new tricks. A foreign language adds a unique dimension to the cultural experience.

This is only kind of related to the subject (ok, it probably would be better suited for a fudgey post) but I stumbled across this little nugget of knowledge today and I thought it might fit into an overseas discussion.

China Dispatch: Using the Squat Toilet

squat-toilet.jpg

Back to the topic at hand, I sort of know what it's like to be transfered overseas. That's how I ended up in the United States. My parents are English, and were transferred to the states when I was 3. I guess they liked it here b/c 25 years later they are still here.

This is only kind of related to the subject (ok, it probably would be better suited for a fudgey post) but I stumbled across this little nugget of knowledge today and I thought it might fit into an overseas discussion.
China Dispatch: Using the Squat Toilet

squat-toilet.jpg

Back to the topic at hand, I sort of know what it's like to be transfered overseas. That's how I ended up in the United States. My parents are English, and were transferred to the states when I was 3. I guess they liked it here b/c 25 years later they are still here.
I spent some time working in Taiwan and the places I worked had these things. In many cases they also had normal US toilets, but the people preferred to use these. And they'd squat there reading the newspaper, just like here in the good ol' USA .

Both my brother and sister live in Australia. If I was going to move anywhere permanently, which I never would, it is one of the few places I would even consider. My bro and sis would never admit that it has any problems compared to the US, because they enjoy US bashing like all native born foreigners, but they often complain about various things, among them the difficulty of getting decent cars, that the place is a little backwards, and that the health care system is not all it's cracked up to be (at least for them). Plus they don't like the taxes. When my mom and dad passed away and left them some money all they did was complain about the confiscatory Australian government getting their hands on it. I'm not sure how true all that is or not.

Also, complaints about aboriginals seem to be sort of common in Australia. I don't know if this is because Australian's are particularly racist, but when relatives from that part of the family come over, that's one thing that sticks in my mind.

On the other hand, my brother has a nice home with a swimming pool a block from the ocean on a schoolteacher's salary.

Last edited by a moderator:
ODB_PE, there are currently a lot of interesting opportunities in the UK and Ireland, if that's of any interest to you.

First of all, I would challenge the "Nobody Likes Americans" stereotype. Never, had I experienced any of that. It boils down to the basic truths in life. I believe that if you make a genuine effort, treat others as you would like to be treated - you receive same back. But I would most definitely agree with the statement "Nobody likes arrogant, ignorant, we-own-it-all/we-are-the-best-at-everything type Americans". Then again, don't we all dislike individual with these attitudes, no matter their nationality???

My impressions are decisively positive thus far. People at work are helpful, knowledgeable, the company seems well run and organized.

There is another structural (senior level) US engineer at my company. His outlook seems to be positive as well.

Overall, in general, the people here are extremely polite and helpful, well traveled, open minded and knowledgeable. And with a great sense of humor! I really enjoy the mild winters and summers here in the UK.

Living abroad, you I think you can claim up to 85k tax free income if you qualify. Income tax rates and other deductions seem about the same.

Salaries tend to be comparable, often higher.

On the plus side: the ease to travel in Europe (cheap flights), more family oriented lifestyle, really nice people.

On the down side: some people complain about the public healthcare system and dentists, relatively high living costs.

Interestingly, when I had my first meeting with the recruiter, I remember him telling me about the nationalities present at my current employer. He says to me "They have South Africans, Chinese, Australians, New Zealanders, ...but no, no Americans... they tend to stay at home." :)

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, I would challenge the "Nobody Likes Americans" stereotype. Never, had I experienced any of that. It boils down to the basic truths in life. I believe that if you make a genuine effort, treat others as you would like to be treated - you receive same back.
Try going to Paris, and you'll learn the true definition of indifferent/rude. :)

Try going to Paris, and you'll learn the true definition of indifferent/rude. :)
We were there last year for a week and had absolutely no problems. We had been 18 years previously and 18 years ago, I definitely felt the anti-american sentiment. But not this time. People were friendly and helpful. We tried to speak French as best we could and I think that helped - they could see that we were trying.

Back