Wilmington NC

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XOXOXO

Reaction score
We are considering the possibility of buying somewhere coastal with warmer weather on average (barring this year's ridiculous weather).

I've looked into the beaches of New Hanover County, NC.

Is anyone familiar with the area? ie) weather, residents, tourists, jobs??

I've done plenty of research (ie. flood zone maps, house prices, engineering firms within an hour drive of the beach ;) ) but I'd like to hear more about it from the horses mouth before we schedule a visit.

Thanks in advance.

POM

I don't live there, but have visited a few times, and it is a great area of the country. I don't know a lot about the engineering industry there, except it is becoming a nuclear town. There is a power plant in southport and GE-Hitachi is building their laser enrichment pilot plant there.

Good luck!

As far as civil work goes, they have been hit really hard. Everyone I knew from the area is still unemployed and looking for anything.

I have always heard it's nice, check the regular sites for work and local governments in the area.

So I have to ask, why you so pissed off momma?

I have always heard it's nice, check the regular sites for work and local governments in the area.
So I have to ask, why you so pissed off momma?
Cute question. Variety of things...I guess being pissed off fuels the fire and gets me going each day ;)

As far as civil work goes, they have been hit really hard. Everyone I knew from the area is still unemployed and looking for anything.
Hmm...that sucks. Maybe will be worth just buying a vacation home and renting out when not in use. Too bad...I was looking to work/live in paradise.

I noticed there was only one firm within an hours drive that I could actually work for...oh well.

Thanks for the input.

Hmm...that sucks. Maybe will be worth just buying a vacation home and renting out when not in use. Too bad...I was looking to work/live in paradise.

I noticed there was only one firm within an hours drive that I could actually work for...oh well.

Thanks for the input.

There is no paradise that ends in "ina".

Thanks for the input.

I beg to differ. I've always found the "vag" variety to be very pleasurable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for the input.

I beg to differ. I've always found the "vag" variety to be very pleasurable.
Hillarious!

Thanks for the input.

oh come on....and you live here???

There's a lot of upside to the Wilmington area, and I have several friends there. I also know people in the New Bern area, and have a place at Atlantic beach in NC. I love the NC beach's, although with you being from NY, I'm going to assume you're looking for a little more activity than you're typically going to find here. I just left a firm that has a Wilmington office, so I'm curious as to which firm you thought you would work for.

The area has been hit pretty hard, but I think the entire State is that way right now. But if you're patient, I think it'll start to turn around later in the year, and may be a good time to look on our coast before the home prices skyrocket again!

Back