Will the exam report say you passed the FE test or the EIT test in California?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melaniash

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm a law student with a computer science graduate degree. I'd like to take the FE exam in California so that I can be eligible to take the patent bar exam.

Since the FE exam is also called the "EIT" in California, I'm not sure if the US Patent Office would accept the results if I pass the EIT. I understand the FE/EIT are the same thing, but I need to make sure that the patent office will be able to tell they are the same.

So could someone please let me know what the report says if you have seen the FE/EIT exam results in CA? Does your report say you "passed the FE test" or "passed the EIT test"? Does it mention the FE?

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your help.

Hi everyone! I'm a law student with a computer science graduate degree. I'd like to take the FE exam in California so that I can be eligible to take the patent bar exam.
Since the FE exam is also called the "EIT" in California, I'm not sure if the US Patent Office would accept the results if I pass the EIT. I understand the FE/EIT are the same thing, but I need to make sure that the patent office will be able to tell they are the same.

So could someone please let me know what the report says if you have seen the FE/EIT exam results in CA? Does your report say you "passed the FE test" or "passed the EIT test"? Does it mention the FE?

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your help.

The FE exam is nationally administered like the PE exam regardless of which state the exam is taken. After you pass the FE exam, you are an EIT in that state, but I'm certain it's transferable to other state if and when you apply to take the PE exam. So, to answer your question, both "FE" and "EIT" are synonymous regards to the exam.

Keep in mind that the prerequisites to take the FE exam include 3 years of full-time enrollment in an engineering program from an accredited college or 3 years engineering work experience; however you need to pass the FE exam and have the required work experience, in addition to the FE exam requirement, and education (or equivalent work experience) to take the PE exam.

Good luck!

Your EIT license will show the state it was issued but will be transferable to other states. I passed the FE exam in Indiana and passed the PE exam in Florida. Florida did not question the validity of my experience or my FE exam results.

Thank you so much for the answer.

Would the exam report say that you "have passed the FE exam?"

Thanks! I really appreciate the help. I have the 3 years of work experience in a chem/protein engineering company.

Thanks! I really appreciate the help. I have the 3 years of work experience in a chem/protein engineering company.

Im not underestimating you but I wanted to ask you what youre getting in to, do you have good mathematics/engineering background? cuz from your degree computer science is far off probably you might do good in computer course but it is only one subject in the FE Exam, if not it will be tough for you, you might consider going to school or not review class that would give you the whole whole idea what this is all about. Good luck.

Im not underestimating you but I wanted to ask you what youre getting in to, do you have good mathematics/engineering background? cuz from your degree computer science is far off probably you might do good in computer course but it is only one subject in the FE Exam, if not it will be tough for you, you might consider going to school or not review class that would give you the whole whole idea what this is all about. Good luck.
Please, here are the facts. Statistics show that most (about 3/4 of the people) pass the FE exam on their first try. Check out here:

http://theprofessionalengineer.com/2010/02...xam-pass-rates/

What this tells me is that if you study you will pass if you don't you won't. The raw score for passing the FE has been historically shown to be a little under 50%. Since you have a computer science background your math skills should be pretty high. Math is about 15-20% of the test. You also have a good background in chemistry from your work experience, that's another 10% or so of the test. So that's about 25-30% of the test that you should easily get over 90% of the questions correct. I would say if you did any studying at all you should be able to pass the FE without much problem.

People who have trouble passing the FE seem to be those weak in the fundamentals like math, physics, chemistry.

Please, here are the facts. Statistics show that most (about 3/4 of the people) pass the FE exam on their first try. Check out here:

What this tells me is that if you study you will pass if you don't you won't. The raw score for passing the FE has been historically shown to be a little under 50%. Since you have a computer science background your math skills should be pretty high. Math is about 15-20% of the test. You also have a good background in chemistry from your work experience, that's another 10% or so of the test. So that's about 25-30% of the test that you should easily get over 90% of the questions correct. I would say if you did any studying at all you should be able to pass the FE without much problem.

People who have trouble passing the FE seem to be those weak in the fundamentals like math, physics, chemistry.

you just dont get it, her case is different, she doenst have background in higher math like advance math, applications in integration and differential and more complex differential eqns, and these course are mostly discussed only in engineering degrees only, the second highest coverage involves Mechanics Stats and Dynamics, how can she tackle problems in beam reactions etc and this is related to strength of materials, and these topics are pretty much found only in engineering degrees only.

the stats that youre showing doesnt apply in this case and it is useless, those ones are applicable only to examinees with engineering ABET degrees.

you just dont get it, her case is different, she doenst have background in higher math like advance math, applications in integration and differential and more complex differential eqns, and these course are mostly discussed only in engineering degrees only, the second highest coverage involves Mechanics Stats and Dynamics, how can she tackle problems in beam reactions etc and this is related to strength of materials, and these topics are pretty much found only in engineering degrees only.

the stats that youre showing doesnt apply in this case and it is useless, those ones are applicable only to examinees with engineering ABET degrees.
The OP has a graduate degree in computer science and work experience in chemistry. Computer science students are some of the most math savvy people I know. I don't know what advance math you are referring to but on the FE the math is about first year calculus at the college level. I didn't see anything on differential equations or advanced engineering analysis. He or she probably knows a lot more math than you do. You think those beam deflection problems on the FE require higher math ? They are all plug and chuck and requires nothing more than algebra. You must have taken a different FE exam than I did.

The letter you receive would probably state something like this:

Exam ID: candidate ss#

State Board: CA

Examination: Fundamentals of Engineering

Exam Result: Pass

it may come from your State Board or from NCEES. Mine (which followed this format) was from ELSES, which supposedly is rolled into NCEES now or something. at any rate, i am quite certain the US patent office would have no problem with however the results letter displays it - it is a national exam, regardless of being called the FE or EIT. Good luck!

The OP has a graduate degree in computer science and work experience in chemistry. Computer science students are some of the most math savvy people I know. I don't know what advance math you are referring to but on the FE the math is about first year calculus at the college level. I didn't see anything on differential equations or advanced engineering analysis. He or she probably knows a lot more math than you do. You think those beam deflection problems on the FE require higher math ? They are all plug and chuck and requires nothing more than algebra. You must have taken a different FE exam than I did.

youre funny, you dont know what youre talking about, ill just cut off from here.

youre funny you obviously dont know what im talking about, ill cut off from here.

youre funny you obviously dont know what im talking about, ill cut off from here.
No I don't know what you are talking about. Even NCEES says the FE tests undergraduate knowledge typically found in the first two years of undergrade studies. It is not a difficult test, very very broad but by no means deep. I gave a link to the high passage rate of the FE exam which clearly demonstrates that it is not a difficult exam. Those who don't pass over and over and over again clearly do not have enough time to prepare or are preparing incorrectly.

Maybe you can give an example as to what higher level math you think is on the FE that Melanie would have trouble dealing with.

Hi everyone,

I really appreciate all the answers and discussions. I'm just taking the FE exam in order to take the patent bar exam. I did a lot of small molecule drug docking, protein engineering and systems biology modeling in my previous job, so differential equations and the maths/calculus/probability/chemistry/biology stuff do not seem to be too difficult. I'm going to concentrate on studying the things I haven't learned in college, like the civil, mechanical engieering.

I bought the FE Review Manual. Could you recommend a good review book for the Other-General afternoon section?

Thank you very much!

Hi everyone,
I really appreciate all the answers and discussions. I'm just taking the FE exam in order to take the patent bar exam. I did a lot of small molecule drug docking, protein engineering and systems biology modeling in my previous job, so differential equations and the maths/calculus/probability/chemistry/biology stuff do not seem to be too difficult. I'm going to concentrate on studying the things I haven't learned in college, like the civil, mechanical engieering.

I bought the FE Review Manual. Could you recommend a good review book for the Other-General afternoon section?

Thank you very much!
FERM is enough, based on expereince the Gen pm is more in depth you need to be good in differential eqns, Advance math, themordynamics, engineering circuits, fluid mechanics, application in statics and dynamics, engineering economics. these things are new to you...good luck and hope you can pass and study them in three months.

Hi everyone,

Thank you very much!
FERM is enough, based on expereince the Gen pm is more in depth you need to be good in differential eqns, Advance math, themordynamics, engineering circuits, fluid mechanics, application in statics and dynamics, engineering economics. these things are new to you...good luck and hope you can pass and study them in three months.

I completely agree with steelman. It is gonna be terribly difficult for somebody with a computer science degree to answer the easiest problems in statics/dynamics/thermodynamics/ and even electrical circuits tho this is somewhat related. she might do well in math and statistics part. but anyways get the FERM ,which is the only review material u need,and give it a try. I suggest u concentrate more on the subjects i mentioned, Good luck!!

Last edited by a moderator:
i would also recommend checking into this: http://www.ncees.org/Exams/Study_materials.php?exam=FE

those sample quests & solutions guides seem to be more indicative of typical questions on the FE - the FERM is generally held to be overly 'robust' in terms of difficulty of sample problems; but thats not a bad thing, as overly prepared is a good thing.

I passed the FE and I only have a vague idea what "beam deflection" even is.

THe test is designed to test the ability to work a broad variety of problems quickly. A typical problem is expected to take around 2 minutes, so if you are spending a lot of time on a complicated problem you are probably doing it wrong.

And as someone up-thread said, the passing score is generally around 50%. There are a lot of problems on the test. So if you get a problem that is particularly hard you can just skip it without much risk. For me, the key was nailing the morning session, which was really pretty trivial if you can read and work the problems quickly. I found the afternoon session a little tougher, but not out of this world difficult by any means. And since I was confident on the AM, I didn't worry so much about it (well, of course I worried - I always think I failed when I walk out, but that fear was misplaced).

You do need to be able to do basic calc and algebra quickly, so if you haven't been immersed in it a bit of practice is necessary, mainly to get your speed up. I imagine the level of math / physics / chemistry varies from CS program to CS prgoram. So the only way for the OP to evaluate her chances is to buy a couple practice books and try it out.

Plus, I think the FE is relatively cheap, so what do you really have to lose.

I passed the FE and I only have a vague idea what "beam deflection" even is.
THe test is designed to test the ability to work a broad variety of problems quickly. A typical problem is expected to take around 2 minutes, so if you are spending a lot of time on a complicated problem you are probably doing it wrong.

And as someone up-thread said, the passing score is generally around 50%. There are a lot of problems on the test. So if you get a problem that is particularly hard you can just skip it without much risk. For me, the key was nailing the morning session, which was really pretty trivial if you can read and work the problems quickly. I found the afternoon session a little tougher, but not out of this world difficult by any means. And since I was confident on the AM, I didn't worry so much about it (well, of course I worried - I always think I failed when I walk out, but that fear was misplaced).

You do need to be able to do basic calc and algebra quickly, so if you haven't been immersed in it a bit of practice is necessary, mainly to get your speed up. I imagine the level of math / physics / chemistry varies from CS program to CS prgoram. So the only way for the OP to evaluate her chances is to buy a couple practice books and try it out.

Plus, I think the FE is relatively cheap, so what do you really have to lose.
and what was your major? engineering?

I dont think the FE is all about beam deflection. what we were trying to point out is, it will not generally be that easy for somebody in that major to answer questions on statics/dynamics/fluid mechanics,electricity and thermodynamics. however, u can for sure pass the exam with out knowledge in beams ,but it is always good to be ready for the hardest exam.

and what was your major? engineering?
Uh, electrical engineering. Which means I knew very little about other branches of engineering. But you don't have to. If you read the specs for the exam, most of it is math, physics, chemistry, etc. General undergrad stuff for engineers, physicists and other technical majors. I know many CS, physics, math, or other majors who cold pass this test with a little review. I'm not saying a CS major will pass without some review, they may need a little more review than the typical examinee. But the implication of some posts here is that this test will be particularly hard for anyone but an engineer. Completely untrue.

If you think the FE is a rigorous engineering exam, I'm wondering what you thought of the PE.

Here are the specs for the FE:

http://www.ncees.org/exams/fe_exam.php

By the way, I started out as a Physics major, took almost all the upper division classes before quitting to go to work (I was a young idiot and quit with less than a year to go). I'm sure I could have passed the exam at that time as well. With a little review of course.

Back