Why not general PM?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I took the EIT (FE) everybody took the same exam - there weren't any specialty afternoon sections. I think the with enough preparation, it is definitely 'do-able'. :2cents:

JR

if you have a PhD in MechE from an accredited school, you'll nail ANY PM section...the test is very straightforward...I took it 20 years after graduation...and studied the general ASCE material for 3 months 6 to 8 hr/week...

I walked out KNOWING I passed, I could not come up with more than a dozen questions I was unsure of...

it's very basic stuff...

imo the general is the way to go...

I think being an ME (or ChE) helps you in the PM general. I am an ME and found it does not take much to go thru the general. I took the test in april 06 and passed. I think maybe if you are an EE, yuo would struggle a little bit to get all the Thermo and Fluids stuff.

My experience in both the FE and PE (april 07) was that the afternoon section was more intense than the morning section. Problems take longer because it is 1 scenario with 3-4 questions per scenario. The morning part was easy, some questions you answer just by reading them (carefully of course)

I finished both afternoon sections with less than 15 minutes left so I had to wait until everybody was finished. Morning sections I finished before the last 15 minutes. (PE Mech, i was done in 3 hrs., i don't know why, but i did)

Jpgolf

I think being an ME (or ChE) helps you in the PM general. I am an ME and found it does not take much to go thru the general. I took the test in april 06 and passed. I think maybe if you are an EE, yuo would struggle a little bit to get all the Thermo and Fluids stuff.
My experience in both the FE and PE (april 07) was that the afternoon section was more intense than the morning section. Problems take longer because it is 1 scenario with 3-4 questions per scenario. The morning part was easy, some questions you answer just by reading them (carefully of course)

I finished both afternoon sections with less than 15 minutes left so I had to wait until everybody was finished. Morning sections I finished before the last 15 minutes. (PE Mech, i was done in 3 hrs., i don't know why, but i did)

Jpgolf
I'm a EE, but have a good bit of experience in controls and mechanical systems...

FE I walked out an hour + early

PE ~1/2 hour early, I checked my work twice...

the stuff is very basic...imho it's easier for a guy who's been out of school, than one just graduating...

it's practical knowledge based, not theoretical...

the calculus is on the order of the y = x ^ 2, dy/dx = ?

almost everything can be found in the FE reference book if you are familiar enough with it...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi to all,

Im new to this , I just wanted to have an advice, what do you suggest, will I go for Fe General Pm or Civil Discipline? Ive out of school for 12 years.

Advices are very well appreciated.

Im unto Civil/Structural Engineering, Municipal, Transpo Design also. THANKS squishles for your advice, I will do my best to start my review.
I'd do civil- I was weak in those areas, but I'm sure you'll be fine. General just sucks because it's so much stuff you don't know and it seems like you're going nowhere and never getting anything. I still have my printed out equation book around and I'm using it for the PE now. I had it memorized so well that I can still find everything. Yes, it's freakish, I know. :dunno:

Back