Why did you go for the PE license?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm confused. The board said you are not elegible for landscape architect license? I also don't understand the not knowing electrical engineering comment. It depends on the PE exam you take. If you take the electrical PE exam you better know electrical engineering topics.

I stamped a small renovation project at Ft. Knox last month. I have a couple more of those coming up, plus a big project at Ft. Bliss, TX.

I stamped a small renovation project at Ft. Knox last month. I have a couple more of those coming up, plus a big project at Ft. Bliss, TX.
You're working on Ft Bliss too? The company I work for has spent the last few years doing design work there (not my office, but the corporate offce in Dallas).

Last time I stamped something? The recept from buying the stamp in July 08. I did it because I could. Then I had to send the receipt to corporate with my expense report so I would get paid back.

Last edited:
I work in consulting (geotechnical and environmental engineering), so a PE is really helpful. I took the exam to advance my career, but also to prove to myself (and others) that I am smart enough to do it. I had a few college professors call me dumb (ok, not to my face, but told me I had no chance of passing their class), as well as a doctor tell my mom that I would be 'slow' after getting hit by a car and being in a coma. I wanted to pass the PE as a F.U. to all those people. They don't need to know that I passed, but my personal satisfaction from passing was off the charts. I also took it for the promotion/raise/opportunities that would hopefully come with it. I got the propomtion, but got a salary reduction ( :censored: ) due to the economy, and am therefore pursuing other opportunities.

So when was the last time yall stamped something?
Last week. I stamp geotechnical reports on a regular basis.

You're working on Ft Bliss too? The company I work for has spent the last few years doing design work there (not my office, but the corporate offce in Dallas).
They are building somewhere on the order of $4 Billion worth of new buildings and infrastructure at Ft. Bliss as part of BRAC. They are moving several regiments out there and closing down other bases. They are doing the same thing at Ft. Knox.

I'm confused. The board said you are not elegible for landscape architect license? I also don't understand the not knowing electrical engineering comment. It depends on the PE exam you take. If you take the electrical PE exam you better know electrical engineering topics.
yes.

I used the electirical engineer to show that even though we both carry the same title (PE), we have different specialties. I am a civil.

yes.

I used the electirical engineer to show that even though we both carry the same title (PE), we have different specialties. I am a civil.
I have passed the civil PE, but I am only civil when I choose to be...

I used my stamp one time for my Texas PE application. That was it.... althought I may use it on some EnergyStar documents in the near future. I will probably never use the stamp for any design work...

yes.

Ok, I get you now. I guess its even worse in the case of an RLA stamping site drawings. They don't even have the same title of engineer. So to me it is obvious that they are stamping outside their knowledge. I have seen Mech E's stamp simple foundation prints where I work (3x4 monolithic blocks). They have become proficient with the topic and design and I believe that is ok. Mech E and Civil/structural have very similar backgrounds.

Since I recieve my PE last July I have stamped 8 sets of prints and created 2 firewall certifications. The last building permit package I stamped was a couple of weeks ago. I keep track of every project I stamp. This is because I had to make a business case for myself saying that I deserved a promotion. I work in a utility so if a civil engineer doesnt speak up they will be easily looked over. We used to farm out all stamping.

I worked 15 years as a Manufacturing engineer therefore I did not need to be a licensed engineer. I got my PE as I now work in the Nuclear field and our design specifications and reports need to be PE stamped. About 50% of our PE's are getting close to retirement age and I figured I should pursue a PE for advancement and also for professional development. Being out of college for 21 years I felt I needed a good review. I did not expect it to take two years though and I also did not anticipate the type of problems that would be on the exam. In any event I have it now.
Hey buick455, your reply hit a chord with me. I've been out of school for about 20 years now, too, and I'm trying to decide if I want to go for a PE. No professional need to do it, just for personal satisfaction. The biggest question in my mind, just how hard was it to dust off the books and the cobwebs and pull it off? And do you mind if I ask more about the two years... what kind of time investment/commitment did it take? Thanks.

^I graduated college in '90 and took the April '07 exam. Blowing out the cobwebs was easier than I thought it would be. I spent a lot of time working problems. Which test (Power/Computers/ECC) are you thinking of taking?

I worked 15 years as a Manufacturing engineer therefore I did not need to be a licensed engineer. I got my PE as I now work in the Nuclear field and our design specifications and reports need to be PE stamped. About 50% of our PE's are getting close to retirement age and I figured I should pursue a PE for advancement and also for professional development. Being out of college for 21 years I felt I needed a good review. I did not expect it to take two years though and I also did not anticipate the type of problems that would be on the exam. In any event I have it now.
Hey buick455, your reply hit a chord with me. I've been out of school for about 20 years now, too, and I'm trying to decide if I want to go for a PE. No professional need to do it, just for personal satisfaction. The biggest question in my mind, just how hard was it to dust off the books and the cobwebs and pull it off? And do you mind if I ask more about the two years... what kind of time investment/commitment did it take? Thanks.

It depends on what you do every day at work and how you do on 8 hour exams. In general if you know going into it it will take about 400 hours of prep time and you put that time in you have a good chance of passing. I took the exam three times and put in at least 350 hours of time for each attempt and only missed it by a few points the first two times but I feel the 1000 hours was worth it.

For me I wasn't going to give up. For some they give up after one attempt. Many do not even prepare thinking they can wing it and many of those fail and never try again. It will be up to you and no one else what you get out of the process. It is not like going to college where you can possibly slide through and get a degree. The PE exam is a one shot deal in that you study like you would be studying for every exam you ever took in college but instead of taking multiple exams you only take one. If you fail you get nothing in return. You have to be prepared for that and know that you may have to start over if needed.

As of now, PE is still a piece of paper.

I agree with OP, that PE is a more personally achievement and that is why I got a Civil Engineering Degree.

Now this goal is complete, and it is sad but true that next is whom I need to know to move up in a company.

It's interesting to see different opinions of the PE perception before and after passing the exam. For a while I didn't see the need of having a PE because of the work I was doing. However, that being said, I realized that having a PE would be a jump in my career and overall perception among the company staff and our clients. I'm not a designer and I know my stamping requirements would be very limited, but after passing the PE, there was indeed a lot of personal satisfaction and a nice healthy raise that would have taken a few years of merit increases to match. It's the same reason anyone would get their Masters or PhD - it just depends on the benefits one would receive after any academic or personal achievement.

Also, one can truly call themselves an "engineer" on their card and email signature because it isn't professionally acceptable to give yourself a title as an "engineer" without the necessary credentials. The Engineering Board (depending on which state you're in) can reprimand and/or fine not only the offender, but the company they work for, if someone calls themselves an engineer and charges money for their services. Otherwise, you'll always be an "assistant engineer" or "junior engineer" under the supervision of a PE.

On a final note, my company encourages those who qualify to take the PE exam because it makes the company look good and it can increase your billing rate, which in turn, should increase your salary. It's a win-win, but it is all dependent on the professional culture and respect the company has for its employees and from their clients.

On a final note, my company encourages those who qualify to take the PE exam because it makes the company look good and it can increase your billing rate, which in turn, should increase your salary. It's a win-win, but it is all dependent on the professional culture and respect the company has for its employees and from their clients.
The "win-win" isn't 100% true. In our office, the youngest engineer has finally passed their PE, which makes our entire office PE's (except the receptionist). Now that we are all PE's, we all make more money and conversely bill out at higher rates. This is a problem because in the "competitive bid" world, we have just priced ourselves out of alot of work because an office full of PE's can't compete against 1 PE with EIT support when it comes to price.

We are hoping to bring in 1-2 new grads and possibly a CAD guy to help with this, but I don't see this happening anytime soon due to some corporate individuals and their inability to remove their heads from their, well, you know. What will realistically happen is that 1 or 2 of us will be laid off only to be replaced by new grads.

A friend of mine (Mechanical Engineer) worked for the local IOU. He had the same mentality of don't need the PE, not gonna bother. He never even bothered taking the FE (graduated in '98). He recently made the jump from the IOU to their parent company where the first thing his supervisor asked him was, "when are you going to sit for the PE!" 10+ years out of school, he can't get over the hump of the FE. Last time I talked to him, he was signing up for grad school to get his MBA.

Like I always say, better to have the PE and not need it than to need it and not have it!

The "win-win" isn't 100% true. In our office, the youngest engineer has finally passed their PE, which makes our entire office PE's (except the receptionist). Now that we are all PE's, we all make more money and conversely bill out at higher rates. This is a problem because in the "competitive bid" world, we have just priced ourselves out of alot of work because an office full of PE's can't compete against 1 PE with EIT support when it comes to price.

We are hoping to bring in 1-2 new grads and possibly a CAD guy to help with this, but I don't see this happening anytime soon due to some corporate individuals and their inability to remove their heads from their, well, you know. What will realistically happen is that 1 or 2 of us will be laid off only to be replaced by new grads.
In my case, it is a win-win, but that's not typical in most engineering firms. I work for a smaller firm and we do have a good mix of principal, senior, mid-level and junior professional staff. I agree that if everyone, except admin, were PEs, it would be a different story, but we have technical and associate positions where a PE is not required and we would probably not hire anyone who can potentially get their PE in those positions, which keeps our costs competitive.

Overall, getting a PE won't earn anyone a ticker-tape parade, but it makes you a bit more valuable as an employee than without one. But true value is all about your expertise and how efficient you are at work, regardless of having a PE.

Back