who failed??

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No... well, it COULD be, but as far as I know, never has been. See, NCEES sets the cut score. Then, each state has the right to accept the NCEES cut score, or set their own. That's why lots of state boards have their general meeting shortly after NCEES releases the scores... so they can vote on whether they are going to accept the cut score. Some states automatically accept the cut score... they are generally the ones that send results the fastest.
I have never heard of a State setting their own cutscore. Honestly, I can't imagine how they'd do it in any consistent way.

I have never heard of a State setting their own cutscore. Honestly, I can't imagine how they'd do it in any consistent way.

Back in the old days (mid 80's), the Illinois requirement was 80%. They aslo reported scores back then. It was interesting since the Wisconsin requirement was 70% just like everybody else. It made reciprocity a PITA if you were first licensed in Wisconsin that had a lower required score.

They tell you to get good sleep the night before the exam, but I was so nervous I couldn't sleep. I think I got like 1 hour of sleep (at most) the night before. If you can sleep well the night before, more power to you.
I was the same way. I got in bed at the hotel about 9:00 pm. I didn't actually get to sleep until after 2:00 am. I tried everything and every position I could. I didn't feel nervous and actually didn't have trouble clearing my head, but for one of the only times in my life I just could not go to sleep.

NCcarguy and I are both in the 4-time PE club. Don't give up. We're here for you. Don't give up. Don't give up. Don't give up. Don't give up. Don't give up. Don't give up. Don't give up. Don't give up.
Four times? That's all? I am going to start my own club - if I can muster up the nerve to name it!

I was the same way. I got in bed at the hotel about 9:00 pm. I didn't actually get to sleep until after 2:00 am. I tried everything and every position I could. I didn't feel nervous and actually didn't have trouble clearing my head, but for one of the only times in my life I just could not go to sleep.
I live all across town (1.5 hr drive) But I never drive it during rush hour and didn't want to risk it, so my options were:

1- Get up really early and drive with plenty of time, to get there and stand in line and freeze for an hour (After being nervous about the exam, not getting to sleep) (This was the rought I used on the EIT)

2- Get a hotel room (walking distance from the exam site) get up, have a continental breakfast and just before time go to the site.

I chose option 2 and passed first try!

I live all across town (1.5 hr drive) But I never drive it during rush hour and didn't want to risk it, so my options were:1- Get up really early and drive with plenty of time, to get there and stand in line and freeze for an hour (After being nervous about the exam, not getting to sleep) (This was the rought I used on the EIT)

2- Get a hotel room (walking distance from the exam site) get up, have a continental breakfast and just before time go to the site.

I chose option 2 and passed first try!
My predicament was EXACTLY the same. I lived about 1.5 hours away from the exam site and chose option 2 as well... I still couldn't get any sleep though, but I did have a nice continental breakfast and passed on the first try! Maybe a good continental breakfast is what determines if you pass or fail? :blink: :dunno:

My predicament was EXACTLY the same. I lived about 1.5 hours away from the exam site and chose option 2 as well... I still couldn't get any sleep though, but I did have a nice continental breakfast and passed on the first try! Maybe a good continental breakfast is what determines if you pass or fail? :blink: :dunno:
Nope...I just had an apple on the drive to the testing site.

Well, since it took me so many times, I tried many breakfast options. It's NOT the breakfast that makes a difference.

Also, if there were different cut scores for different states, comity would be a mess!
Well, let's not forget about Georgia and their "military welfare clause" which makes the passing score five points less for veterans. I'm sure that creates problems with comity!

Well, let's not forget about Georgia and their "military welfare clause" which makes the passing score five points less for veterans. I'm sure that creates problems with comity!
Good point. I'm guessing when that comes into play (Georgia vet applying for comity), those 5 points go away and they have to meet the "regular" cut score. I wonder how that gets tracked? Do you suppose they go back to NCEES for the "actual" pass or fail?

For those who are not direct mail states, did you receive your diagnostics from NCEES seperate from your dreaded letter, or did they both come from your state board?

For those who are not direct mail states, did you receive your diagnostics from NCEES seperate from your dreaded letter, or did they both come from your state board?
It comes from the state board...

I know this, because I just opened my second fail letter...

Last night...

After midnight...

At the end of a vacation...

And it's my birthday...

And I just graduated with a masters...

:suicide:

It comes from the state board...
I know this, because I just opened my second fail letter...

Last night...

After midnight...

At the end of a vacation...

And it's my birthday...

And I just graduated with a masters...

:suicide:
Sorry to hear about that. But you just did not make it THIS TIME.

As a veteran being licensed in Georgia, I didn't even consider applying for those veteran preferance points. To me, that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. It is supposed to be a matter of public safety that the Engineer who stamps plans is minimally competent. How does someone's vetaran status make them any more or less competent than someone else with the same score? Nothing against veterans (I am one!), but this policy is the wrong way to "honor" a veteran's service.

talk about scores!!!!!

i failed last October with a RAW Score of 65%. NO CUT SCORE. . . . . NO CURVE . . . NO NOTHIN!!!

i KNOW there HAD to be SOME kind of adjustment . . . . must not have been very much of one!!

STILL WAITING IN PA!!!!!!

Loookin for that THIN envelope in my mailbox . . . .

in PA if its thick it means its crammed full of "Re-registration" info . . . if you pass its just one piece of paper that says "you passed"

As a veteran being licensed in Georgia, I didn't even consider applying for those veteran preferance points. To me, that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. It is supposed to be a matter of public safety that the Engineer who stamps plans is minimally competent. How does someone's vetaran status make them any more or less competent than someone else with the same score? Nothing against veterans (I am one!), but this policy is the wrong way to "honor" a veteran's service.
I hear you. I'm a veteran as well. My old boss I worked with, whom I didn't like and was a complete slacker, purposely went out of his way to take the exam in Georgia for those extra points! He tried to talk me into doing the same. First off, I was not about to pay an extra few hundred dollars for a flight to Georgia just for 5 extra points. Second off, I want to earn my PE like everyone else without the extra 5 points!

Back