who failed??

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I say don't give up and keep trying or at least that is what I keeping telling myself as well. I have taken the PE multiple times but I am going to continue until I pass. I have taken a course as well but I seem to be just below the pass line. Hang in there failing isn't the end of the world.
That's the way to look at things! Glass is half full rather than half empty...I like it! Besides, I honestly think that going over the PE materials over and over again actually makes you all the more competent! Don't get me wrong, I would've loved to pass it on the first try.....now, waiting on the result in VA on my second attempt....personally I hate to start studying all "those" stuff once again...but interestingly I knew a whole lot when I studied for the second time..it's like watching the same movie couple of times.....perhaps you've noticed that your second or third sessions with a movie helps you to catch more finer details that you may have overlooked first time...having said that, I DON'T WANT TO STUDY AGAIN! :rolleyes:

MY journey CONTINUES as well. I KNOW that I could have studied harder, and there are a LOT of things that I need to learn. I will just get ANOTHER chance for a quiet 8-hour exercise....

GLAD that I found this board, hopefully I can put my wasted internet time to a more productive use now....

MY journey CONTINUES as well. I KNOW that I could have studied harder, and there are a LOT of things that I need to learn. I will just get ANOTHER chance for a quiet 8-hour exercise....
GLAD that I found this board, hopefully I can put my wasted internet time to a more productive use now....
Did your wife actually open the letter?

If you're hanging around here and studying, we'll try to keep you on track. We'll even chastise you for spamming when you're supposed to be studying. Good luck.

I think Transportation depth was pretty doable with the new, revised syllabus and if you focussed on the topics list and practised exactly those areas, you would be fine. Folks taking Transpo depth next time can pm me and I can give them some pointers.

For all those who did not pass the exam and will be taking it October, take a look at my How to Pass the Mechanical PE Exam thread in Exam Discussion>Anything About the PE Exam. Even if you're not mechanical, I think there are some things that may help you in there. It's just my 2 cents so take it for what it's worth, but I felt I needed to pass it on. You know kind of like a "Hooked on Phnoics worked for me" thread. Good luck to all of you!

G-Loose

Great info. After reading your thread, I'm pretty disappointed with myself.

I too had planned on taking off from work the week prior to the exam. We had some in-house Company training (3-days worth) come-up that week which was not mandatory - but highly recommended that we attend or wait another year to attend.

I went to the training at work and did not take off to study. I failed the PE with a 68, and am positive that if I had taken off the week, I would have passed.

I am coming out of my funk about failing the exam and have already started studying for the October 24th exam. I will definitely be taking the week off prior to that exam! I have already scheduled it at work.

Thanks again for your thoughts and methods on passing.

You have to find comfort in the fact that you're just so close. Another word you're smart enough.

I am coming out of my funk about not passing the exam yet and have already started studying for the October 24th exam. I will definitely be taking the week off prior to that exam! I have already scheduled it at work. =Great Planning. I'm going to do the same & more.

:reading:

Like what mary said, do LOTS of practice problems. About 99.9% of the people I asked on how to prepare for the PE said to do as many practice problems as you can. My concept was the more practice problems you solved, the higher the probability you will pass the exam. Likely chance that a problem you practice is going to be similar to an actual exam problem. I bought the sample exam from NCEES and solved most of the problems. What really helped me out was the Testmasters notes I was able to obtain from a friend. The notes were helpful, but the practice problems Testmasters give you are GOLD. I believe this forum offers the Testmasters notes for download somewhere. I also solved as many problems as I could from the CERM sample exam. Lastly, I solved as many problems as I could from the CERM practice problems, although some of the problems were ridiculously difficult. Oh, I would like to add to not pay too much attention to the first few chapters of the CERM where they try to review your calculus, matrix, vectors, etc... I wasted my time doing that... Just go straight to the engineering portion.

They tell you to get good sleep the night before the exam, but I was so nervous I couldn't sleep. I think I got like 1 hour of sleep (at most) the night before. If you can sleep well the night before, more power to you. When I took the exam I solved all the problems I knew how to do first, then I hit the books like crazy to find out how to do the more difficult problems, finally my last resort would be to answer "C" on the rest of the problems when time was becoming a problem. TIME is money during the exam, so try to limit your restroom trips to a minimum... Ok, that's my 2 cents on this for what it's worth.

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE and GOOD LUCK!!

I truly believe that except for a few geniuses that ace the thing, and a few people who don't review at all and guess on half of it, the difference between passing and not is usually just a few questions. I thought for sure I would fail when I took it, but somehow I lucked out by what I am sure is just a few questions. Just a little more reviewing, and a little luck should get you over the hump. Good luck.

I believe the scores are cut scores. So, a 70% (56/80) could be passing one year and 75% (60/80) could be failing the next. Anyone else know more?
BTW, I believe the 68 was ment as a percentage. 68/80 would be 85%. If someone didn't pass with an 85%, then there's no hope for anyone. Except Einstein or Tesla that is.
Do you know for sure 70% (56/80) was the passing score this time? it seems high for this time than the previous times. I got a 52/80 or 65% and not passed. I'm pretty bumped. I remembered they have a lot of in between answers this time (instead of exact answers). Did anybody out there with a score of 54/80 and failed?

Do you know for sure 70% (56/80) was the passing score this time? it seems high for this time than the previous times. I got a 52/80 or 65% and not passed. I'm pretty bumped. I remembered they have a lot of in between answers this time (instead of exact answers). Did anybody out there with a score of 54/80 and failed?

Good question... we don't have enough information yet to determine the cut score. Though if those that didn't pass start posting their diagnostic, we'll know soon enough.

The 68 was a percentage. That is all I have right now. I will post the diagnostics when I receive them.

Good question... we don't have enough information yet to determine the cut score. Though if those that didn't pass start posting their diagnostic, we'll know soon enough.
Here is my break down percentages:

AM

Construction 75% of 25% 6/8

GeoTek 62% of 25% 5/8

Structural 38% of 25% 3/8

Transpo 62% of 25% 5/8

Water Res 50% of 25% 4/8

Total 23

PM

Traffic Analysis 78% of 22.5% 7

Geometric Design 75% of 30.0% 9

Transpo Planning 33% of 7.50% 1

Traffic Safety 83% of 15% 5

Other Topics 70% of 15% 7

Total 29

Grand Total 52/80

Does any body have a higher score than 52 and not pass?

Here is my break down percentages:
I'd say you left too many on the table from the breadth - 30/40 is in anyone's reach if you study smart. The depth looks really good except for the one section. I imagine you'll do fine in October with a little more focused preparation. Keep smiling!

I wonder if cut scores are the same for all depths?

G-Loose
Great info. After reading your thread, I'm pretty disappointed with myself.

I too had planned on taking off from work the week prior to the exam. We had some in-house Company training (3-days worth) come-up that week which was not mandatory - but highly recommended that we attend or wait another year to attend.

I went to the training at work and did not take off to study. I failed the PE with a 68, and am positive that if I had taken off the week, I would have passed.

I am coming out of my funk about failing the exam and have already started studying for the October 24th exam. I will definitely be taking the week off prior to that exam! I have already scheduled it at work.

Thanks again for your thoughts and methods on passing.
I wasn't planning to take a week off before the exam, but I broke my foot 2 weeks before the exam and "worked" at home for a week to keep my foot up. I actually spent the week studying hard and I honestly believe it made the difference. If you can take a week off before I recommend it. Good luck!

Are the cut scores different for each state?
No... well, it COULD be, but as far as I know, never has been. See, NCEES sets the cut score. Then, each state has the right to accept the NCEES cut score, or set their own. That's why lots of state boards have their general meeting shortly after NCEES releases the scores... so they can vote on whether they are going to accept the cut score. Some states automatically accept the cut score... they are generally the ones that send results the fastest.

Back