Which classes should I take in the fall?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slugger926

Reaction score
Here is the class schedule for MSETM for the fall: MSETM Class Schedule

I have already taken ETM 5111 and ETM 5381. I am debating if the FIN 5013 would be worth taking or not (I am only concidering it if it covers getting financing for my own private start up company via loans or venture capital.)

Or I may stick to 3 or 4 of the 1 hour mini courses. If so, I am undecided and need to enroll.

Which ones should I take?

ETM 5241 - Strategic Project Management might be useful.

As someone who has recently attempted to return to school I wish you the best of luck. My return ended in complete and total failure. I dropped my class and was out the tution money because I waited too long to realize that I was bombing the class. Best of luck to you Slugger.

ETM 5241 - Strategic Project Management might be useful.
As someone who has recently attempted to return to school I wish you the best of luck. My return ended in complete and total failure. I dropped my class and was out the tution money because I waited too long to realize that I was bombing the class. Best of luck to you Slugger.
You should check into a program like I am in. It is easier to concentrate on 1 month long classes, and if needed you can get an I to finish the class within a year.

I wish I could but UofL doesnt offer anything like that. They just started offering evening engineering classes about a year ago and even now its only for intro classes like calculus.

I wish I could but UofL doesnt offer anything like that. They just started offering evening engineering classes about a year ago and even now its only for intro classes like calculus.
It sux having to drive 30 minutes each way to attend classes after work, then head home to spend time with kids and wife. There isn't time for reading or HW.

With the MSETM program, and other degrees built on the same model at OSU and Texas Tech (I am sure there are others), you can load the lectures from the CD's to an MP3 player or work computer and listen to them while driving or working. That leaves extra time at home for HW and reading. I am trying to get away from computer games and do constructive things with my time.

It won't be long until everyone has BS degrees, and MS degrees will seperate us from everyone else. 40 years ago everyone only had HS degrees and a few had BS degrees to seperate themselves from everyone else.

slugger --

I think the classes that you take should reflect areas that you would want to learn about or enhance based on how you want to steer your career path. I have graduate level courses in civil (general), civil (geotechnical), and chemical engineering as well as advanced math and statistics. I have thought about finance type of courses, but don't think a course like that would keep my interest for an entire semester.

Taking classes on a month-long basis would probably be cool. You just have to be really, really careful not to miss a class or get behind because you don't have the longer period of time for catch-up.

Good luck with your additional education !! :thumbs:

JR

Taking classes on a month-long basis would probably be cool. You just have to be really, really careful not to miss a class or get behind because you don't have the longer period of time for catch-up.
Good luck with your additional education !! :thumbs:

JR
Its easier to play catch up on the classes earlier in the semester because you just email the instructor when you are behind, and you have until the end of the year to complete all of the papers. I try to stay on schedule though but did get behind last semester by a couple of weeks in engineering econ. It is easy to fit in 2 to 3 hours per week of listening on an instructor on the PC or mp3 player. I sometimes try to do it while working out so I am multitasking.

I am interested in the finance class if it covers getting $$$ for a new company. I am not intersted in it if it covers internal how do we spend $ in the company.

Back