When will the results be released, do yo think?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
waiting this long makes other people in your life think you are lying about the results because it not's believable to them that it takes 2 months to grade a scantron!

waiting this long makes other people in your life think you are lying about the results because it not's believable to them that it takes 2 months to grade a scantron!
As previously discussed in the WTTS thread, it's more than just grading a scantron. 

As previously discussed in the WTTS thread, it's more than just grading a scantron. 
That doesn't mean the vast majority of people understand that it is still a lot of grading a scantron. Does every test every year have its own cut score?  And if yes, how come we are only looking for the control systems cut score meeting?

That doesn't mean the vast majority of people understand that it is still a lot of grading a scantron. Does every test every year have its own cut score?  And if yes, how come we are only looking for the control systems cut score meeting?
Also discussed at length in the WTTS thread. Go read through it, your questions are answered there. 

Also discussed at length in the WTTS thread. Go read through it, your questions are answered there. 
I must have missed that part, I have gone through several times now, and I saw the scoring methods, using .2 to .7 values for the scores.  Ill check it out this evening, thanks.

I must have missed that part, I have gone through several times now, and I saw the scoring methods, using .2 to .7 values for the scores.  Ill check it out this evening, thanks.
I sincerely hope you read your exam questions more comprehensively than anything in that thread, otherwise you're pretty much a lock to fail.

I sincerely hope you read your exam questions more comprehensively than anything in that thread, otherwise you're pretty much a lock to fail.
Ouchie magouchie bro!

What I was referencing in that was from several different combinations, mainly from this subsection of bullet points

• All questions are weighted the same when calculating your exam score.
  • Each question is weighted differently when calculating the passing score.
  • After each pencil-and-paper exam administration, every exam undergoes extensive statistical analysis to determine the minimum level of performance required for entry into the profession.
The part that I don't understand or am looking for clarification on, is since the exam is actually different each time, at least I am assuming they aren't giving the same exam over and over again, why don't they need to hold a "cut score" meeting for each one?  It was mentioned, I believe as an example, that they weight the questions based on how actual engineers do on the exam, and a range of .2 - .7 was used, which was then added up to get a cut score.  But that happened during the cut score meeting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ouchie magouchie bro!

What I was referencing in that was from several different combinations, mainly from this subsection of bullet points

• After each pencil-and-paper exam administration, every exam undergoes extensive statistical analysis to determine the minimum level of performance required for entry into the profession.
The part that I don't understand or am looking for clarification on, is since the exam is actually different each time, at least I am assuming they aren't giving the same exam over and over again, why don't they need to hold a "cut score" meeting for each one?  It was mentioned, I believe as an example, that they weight the questions based on how actual engineers do on the exam, and a range of .2 - .7 was used, which was then added up to get a cut score.  
Every exam does need a cut score meeting. Only the ones that are new exams/specifications occur later in the cycle. Exam results won't be released until after all exams have a cut score. The weighting values were hypothetical examples.

Ouchie magouchie bro!

The part that I don't understand or am looking for clarification on, is since the exam is actually different each time, at least I am assuming they aren't giving the same exam over and over again, why don't they need to hold a "cut score" meeting for each one?  It was mentioned, I believe as an example, that they weight the questions based on how actual engineers do on the exam, and a range of .2 - .7 was used, which was then added up to get a cut score.  But that happened during the cut score meeting.
To be honest, if you're not on the board reviewing scores/generating questions/determining whether a question is a good proficiency of engineering in the specific discipline, you shouldn't kill yourself over the scoring matrix.  Either you pass, or you fail.

Ouchie magouchie bro!

In the beginning of the CERM that I used for the test, it explains the cut score and how it is determined. They can establish it before or after the exam. My guess is they usually establish ones that are the same format as the test before, before the test and the ones that they've changed the format they do after the test to see how people performed on it. What I've gathered is they changed the format of the controls exam this time so their meeting more than likely happened after the exam. However no one knows when that meeting was or is going to be because it wasn't announced. 

Every exam does need a cut score meeting. Only the ones that are new exams/specifications occur later in the cycle. Exam results won't be released until after all exams have a cut score. The weighting values were hypothetical examples.
If every exam needs a cut score meeting, how come we can historically go back and find them for new spec exams?

To be honest, if you're not on the board reviewing scores/generating questions/determining whether a question is a good proficiency of engineering in the specific discipline, you shouldn't kill yourself over the scoring matrix.  Either you pass, or you fail.
You are probably correct, and I am not trying to figure out what it may or may not be, I am just intrigued by the process and how it works. I have seen specific references to the control systems meeting, but not much else except there is a test bank that the questions come from. I realize I am not going to be able to break down and say this question was hard af, good thing it was weighted really low.

If every exam needs a cut score meeting, how come we can historically go back and find them for new spec exams?

You are probably correct, and I am not trying to figure out what it may or may not be, I am just intrigued by the process and how it works. I have seen specific references to the control systems meeting, but not much else except there is a test bank that the questions come from. I realize I am not going to be able to break down and say this question was hard af, good thing it was weighted really low.
NCEES posts the exam specifications on their website, and we can see which ones are new and when they are new. Nothing anybody's doing here is rocket science; its just tracking patterns and taking SWAGs at when things typically happen following patterns that largely don't mean much.

Carefully reread pages 7-8. If you have follow up questions, post them there.

Back