When to start looking or change your attitude?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's really a phone screening (packaged questions from the HR director followed by a personality assessment that will then be packaged with my resume and cover letter and sent to the technical people). But it's on Monday afternoon.

semi-required overtime (for which I do not get paid).
Thats just crazy talk. If they bill the time to the client, you should get your piece. Thats why I left my first job out of college, and haven't looked back since.

I'm starting to look again because I genuinely do not feel that my job is secure at this point, and I don't really feel any loyalty to a company that thinks it's OK to treat employees like this.
Good luck with the job hunt.

always keep your eyes open for opportunities

attend your local society meetings and get to know people even if you are not looking where sort like saying, I do exist.

best of luck

In light of the recent layoffs and general mood around the office, I've been looking to polish up my resume a little and start browsing job sites again. I was just curious what kind of format some of ya'll are using for your resumes? It's been a while since I've used my personal one since I keep the one updated that the marketing dept. uses at my current job. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Just updated my resume too. I went with a traditional+marketing hybrid. First page shows Skills, Registrations.Certifications, Employment History (only companies, dates, position held), and Education). Pages 2 and 3 contain "Project Experience" where I list each of the major projects and a quick 2-3 sentence description of duties and work done.

Mine is the traditional Word version. Its the one I used 4 years ago to land my current job and was well received back then. I have just updated it to include my current position.

My cover letter is a little longer though to explain a few things. I am sure if I change the format of my resume I could shorten it.

Personally, my opinion of a resume is:

1. Education

2. Work

3. Honors/Certs/Lic

4. Random other things that are pertinent to the position

Usually 1 page, but with 5 years up to 2, and 1 page after that for 10+. Three pages tends to be a little long and if I were the hiring manager I would want to read through 3+ page resumes if I had a lot of applicants.

Mine is the traditional Word version. Its the one I used 4 years ago to land my current job and was well received back then. I have just updated it to include my current position.
My cover letter is a little longer though to explain a few things. I am sure if I change the format of my resume I could shorten it.

Personally, my opinion of a resume is:

1. Education

2. Work

3. Honors/Certs/Lic

4. Random other things that are pertinent to the position

Usually 1 page, but with 5 years up to 2, and 1 page after that for 10+. Three pages tends to be a little long and if I were the hiring manager I would want to read through 3+ page resumes if I had a lot of applicants.
I would argue that anything over 1 page with under 10 years of experience is too much, though I am sure certain situations could warrant more. I think the order of how you lay it out depends on objective. If you are 5 years out of school and just trying to move laterally, then I would have work exp first. If you just got an advanced degree that qualifies for other jobs, list that first.

Make sure that the bullets points are strong action verbs. Also Action/Problem/Results. (ie, "Developed innovated solution for client facing XXXX saving client significant capex.")

I really wanted to shorten mine as much as I could, but I couldn't seem to get under 3 pages. The first page works well as a stand-alone resume. Pages 2 and 3 act as supplementiary material. Because the resume was crafted to apply for a specific position, I adjusted it to highlight the skills they were looking for.

I do tend to agree with the 1 page for under 5 yrs, 2 for under 10 yrs and 3 pages for anything over that, but since I'm at 7, I get 2.5 right? :p

When editing your resume, how much do you change the text format (Arial, Times New Roman, bold, underline, 10pt vs 12pt, etc)?

On my resume, the section headers are bold + underline, sub-section headers are only bold, and the rest is just normal. The entire thing is 10pt Arial (except my name on the top).

What I've done is using bold 14 pt for my headings and 12 pt for my text. I'm using Times New Roman. I haven't finalized it yet and I'm trying to fit it onto 2 pages, so I might play with the margins a little. I've read that you shouldn't go smaller than 11 pt on your font, but it's really a personal preference.

I'm using 12 font and 14 Font like Ble PE said, it tends to work out okay. At times though it makes it look like you are "filling in" which I know isn't true and my young eyes can handle the smaller font with ease.

Back