What study materials helped you pass?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LakersFreak

Reaction score
I am stuck. Ive got the ppi survey books as well as Liu's book. I need something different.

What helped you pass?

no guarantees, but i'm fairly confident that i passed surveys. i just used Reza, did all of the problems, and worked all of the 120 Solved Surveys problems on the wednesday before the exam. i also had another "cheat sheet" with all of the horizontal curves (which i used a lot on the transportation 8 hr as well). i took my CERM just in case and i think i used it for a couple look up problems. the front cover helped me with converting between rods, chains, etc quickly.

no guarantees, but i'm fairly confident that i passed surveys. i just used Reza, did all of the problems, and worked all of the 120 Solved Surveys problems on the wednesday before the exam. i also had another "cheat sheet" with all of the horizontal curves (which i used a lot on the transportation 8 hr as well). i took my CERM just in case and i think i used it for a couple look up problems. the front cover helped me with converting between rods, chains, etc quickly.

I used Cuomo's and Reza's on my first try. I failed. I tried Reza's on second try and failed again. I studied Mansour's CD's and review book and passed this time. How would you feel passing Civil 8 hrs and seismic on the first try and travel all the way from Arkansas to Los Angeles twice only for surveying exam? I passed surveying this time. What a relief!!!

I just passed the surveying, I am an environmental engineer and have no background in surveying. I could not do it without all the references cited above and three text books that are recommended in the study outline. I think the real issue is can you get your hands on enough problems to become quick enough to get through the test. I must have every survey problem published and these texts provide more. The texts are very good on "office proceedures" and map reading which is extreamly important.

I used Cuomo's and Reza's on my first try. I failed. I tried Reza's on second try and failed again. I studied Mansour's CD's and review book and passed this time. How would you feel passing Civil 8 hrs and seismic on the first try and travel all the way from Arkansas to Los Angeles twice only for surveying exam? I passed surveying this time. What a relief!!!

Hello,

Can you tell me what you used to prep for the Seismic. I am Civil PE in OK. No experience in Seismic. Any help is appreciated.

thanks,

SVS

What is the complete name of the Reza book? I tried to find it online and have not been able to find it so far?

I've found a Cuomo book. Does it matter that it is an older version?

thanks!

Hello,
Can you tell me what you used to prep for the Seismic. I am Civil PE in OK. No experience in Seismic. Any help is appreciated.

thanks,

SVS
I highly recommend Hiner's book. It did a fantastic job of preparing me for seismic.

http://www.seismicreview.com/Workbook.html

Or you could probably find it for sale at the "Yard Sale" section of the forum.

thanks!
I wouldn't think so since surveying is not based on a code (unlike steel or concrete). Also, fyi I believe the surveying exam is based on geometry and methodology (not really covered in Cuomo) so feel free to catch up on your law's of sine and cosine, and how to calculate area's, before you go in.

Do you know what the names of the Cuomo or Reza book are? I tried to find it on Amazon, but get very confused. Thank you so much.

thanks!
I wouldn't think so since surveying is not based on a code (unlike steel or concrete). Also, fyi I believe the surveying exam is based on geometry and methodology (not really covered in Cuomo) so feel free to catch up on your law's of sine and cosine, and how to calculate area's, before you go in.

Do you know what the names of the Cuomo or Reza book are? I tried to find it on Amazon, but get very confused. Thank you so much.
The one I have is "Surveying and Principles for Civil Engineers (2nd Edition)" by Paul Cuomo.

cowboy, I remember being stuck with contour line problems, did the Mansour's CD and review helped you solve those problems? Thanks!

I have graduated from school back in 1986 and recentely I registered for Dr. Mansour classes, so far I studied only his materials and passed so far Surveying and the 8 hours relying only on Dr. Mansour books. His books are well organized and he explains principels and solve problems. I highly recomend him and his material

Back