What state are you waiting for?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
37% is better than some of the other years. I seem to recall a below 20% last April for repeat lateral.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maine just released.

...Unacceptable for lateral. 31/40 for multiple choice and 2 acceptable plus and improvement required plus unacceptable for afternoon. GRAHHHHHHHHH!! I was so close!

Well, guess I have to start studying again....

Yep, pretty sure I failed because of the afternoon problem that had an error on the exam. I believe I should have passed or at least been REALLY close to passing if that was given an "Improvement needed". I'm going to try to complain to NCEES about that one but doubt I'll get very far.

I've been jotting down the SE pass rates since October 2011. Looks like October 2012 was killer for the Lateral. 25% first time and only 16% repeat...

Pass Rates Since October 2011.png

Maine just released.

...Unacceptable for lateral. 31/40 for multiple choice and 2 acceptable plus and improvement required plus unacceptable for afternoon. GRAHHHHHHHHH!! I was so close!

Well, guess I have to start studying again....
Nice work on the AM multiple choice. Now own the PM portion next time.

Yeah, this was simultaneously a kick in the teeth regarding how close I believe I was but also gives me hope as I wasn't able to finish the problem which gave me the unacceptable so I think I got my knowledge base down but I just need to work on speed of solutions and getting better at the unexpected questions that they might throw my way.

Also, this probably gives you people out there a good metric of what the cut grade is because I don't think people could get much closer except possibly "needs improvement" for 2 out of 4 of the afternoon problems.

I called CTS this morning. They claimed they have not received the results yet. I then chatted with NCEES who said they released the results to the Illinois Structural Engineering Board. My guess is the Board needs to do something before they send it to CTS. There was a Board meeting scheduled for 6/17 and 6/18.

Cyclone,

I was seat 3 or 4 in Chicago. I think we chatted a bit during one of the breaks. I haven't heard anything from CTS either. The waiting is torture. Best of luck to you and everyone else.

-Jason

Does anyone have a sense of what percentage "improvement needed" is considered? For Lateral I was 29/40 in the AM and Acceptable + 3x Improvement needed in the afternoon ... I literally have to have been right on the doorstep of passing. I passed Vertical first try. Can't believe I have to dig back into this again.....

Just taking a SWAG here, but the 29/40 is 72.5% and was likely good enough to pass the morning. Somebody else had a 31/40, two Acceptable, a Needs Improvement, and an Unacceptable and didn't make it.

BELOW IS A COMPLETE GUESS AS TO HOW SCORING WORKS AND HAS NO BASIS IN THE WAY NCEES ACTUALLY SCORES

To quantify the afternoon lets say acceptable is worth 100 points, Needs Imp is 50 and Unacceptable is 0. Averaging all that together he would have 62.5% in the afternoon and added to his morning he would have averaged a 70% (provided the sections are equally weighted) and still didn't pass. So, I would say you probably can't have any Unacceptable OR you need at least 70% in the afternoon as well. This means you would need at least two Acceptables and two Needs Imp in the afternoon, so I'm guessing you were close.

I would say to work hard at the afternoon problems. The multiple choice section you can usually eliminate an answer or two, or "find" an answer somewhere in the code, and, if you miss one, not nearly the percentage of points as missing one portion of an afternoon problem. Also in the afternoon, it's quite obvious if you don't know how to solve a problem, not so much in the morning.

Yikes, you and me are in the same boat it seems.

The official NCEES definition is on the PM diagnostic: "Improvement required: Some improvement required to achieve the standard of minimum competency.

I suspect this means that you demonstrated understanding of the concept but some part of the math or method was wrong. I've interpreted it to mean "anything between acceptable and unacceptable" so it's probably a fairly large range.

NCEES will not explain their grading though so I doubt you'll get very far with it. Regarding passing scores, my best guess is you need a minimum of 2 improvement needed and 2 acceptable plus a good AM score (72% or more) to pass.

EDIT: I agree with phecke as well. Between carls88 and my score I think we have a very good guess on what you need to get to pass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kinda surprised CA is taking so long if the CTS states are out. I would guess you'll see it today. Mine hit around noon local time so probably another hour I'll bet you'll see something.

PCS website is telling me I passed!

Nothing on NCEES yet.

I took it in Wisconsin.

Holding my breath until I see it on NCEES.

Back