the spring 2023 SE exam waiting game begins!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely does not work for bridges. I can confirm that. 22/40 in AM, A/IR/A. I should have 22+10+5+20 = 57/80 for bridges. Also someone has posted 23/40 AM, A/A/A on this thread page 1, that is 23+10+10+20 = 63/80 for bridges.
Oh how I wish that theory held true for bridges....

NCEES should start giving us passing score break downs....
Heck, I think they should give more feedback on Unacceptable scores.

How can I improve if I don't know what I did wrong?

Can you imagine going through college, taking tests and not getting detailed results?

About this theory, my first attempt at lateral buildings was 21/40 in the AM and A/A/A/A which by your grading rubric would result in a 61/80 but I still failed. A colleague of mine got 33/40 in the AM and A/A/A/U which by your grading rubic would result in a 63/80 but still failed. So failing the AM section or getting a U seems to indicate failure. Luckily I just passed lateral so I can be done, but wanted to pass along that info.

About this theory, my first attempt at lateral buildings was 21/40 in the AM and A/A/A/A which by your grading rubric would result in a 61/80 but I still failed. A colleague of mine got 33/40 in the AM and A/A/A/U which by your grading rubic would result in a 63/80 but still failed. So failing the AM section or getting a U seems to indicate failure. Luckily I just passed lateral so I can be done, but wanted to pass along that info.
Four A's don't mean 40. The graders have a rubric, in my theory, an A could be 75% to 100% depending on how well you do (cleanliness, final answer, equations, graphics and etc...). so if you take 21 + 4 x 7.5 = 51 you still fail. on your other example: 33+3 x 7.5+0 = 55.5, borderline fail depending on exam difficulty.

It does not make sense to give someone who has the whole solution correct (including final answer) the full credit and also give the full credit to someone who has almost everything but bot quiet.

That's actually nuts. Even by any math here, both these scores are OVER 75% any way you slice it, which is well above many of the highest "fails" you'll see on forums. They might have had a very high bar to clear that exam year.

Heck, I think they should give more feedback on Unacceptable scores.

How can I improve if I don't know what I did wrong?

Can you imagine going through college, taking tests and not getting detailed results?
I agree, I think they should provide this kind of detailed explanation with the sample exam book they sell, specifically in the solutions of the essay problems.

Pass rates are out. This was in fact a hard one compared to past results:
Historical NCEES SE Exam Pass Rates
View attachment 28617
Without knowing the overall number of test takers for each year, it appears that for first time test takers the Vertical Forces Building was the toughest it has been in the last 11 years and the Lateral Forces Building was the 5th toughest out of 23 exams. I'll be interested in where this cycle ranks in William's list.

Whoops, apparently I was spacing on Wednesday, didn't mean to double post results.

Will doesn't care about historic bridge results :(

Back