What drives me nuts as a Consultant

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kephart P.E.

Reaction score
Basically when you start working for a new client and it is apparent that he/she doesn't really know what they want or how to run projects or manage consulants. So you nicely try and steer them along and all you get is "STFU and do what I say, I know it might not be standard, but this is how we do things here at XYX Inc."

Then you get to that point in the project when someone (usually your contacts boss) looks over their shoulder and basically declares what the F!?! What are you doing? This isn't standard and it makes no sense.

And they they blame the consultant for doing things in an ass backwards way.

It makes me really question my career choice sometimes. You know the problem, you see it coming, yet there seems to be no way to avoid it.

I've found that you can usually escalate that first confrontation to involve the client's boss, and 9 times out of 10, the boss will slap down the subordinate and allow you to do what they are paying you for.

Me and my boss actually did, but it only half worked and it further pissed off my direct contact because then he felt I was trying to show him up. I mean his boss agree with us, but also said "We are to do it as directed"

Since then he has taken each and every opportunity to try and push us under the bus.

I'm guessing you're something like contracted engineers? When I worked DoD, consultants were hired to fill slots once filled by DoD employees. As I recall, their directives were pretty much defined explicitly in the contract. The good part was everyone knew exactly what they were supposed to do. the bad thing was they couldn't be assigned 'other duties as required' because that wasn't spelled out.

Some of them got pretty darn frustrated with the whole system.

I'm guessing you're something like contracted engineers? When I worked DoD, consultants were hired to fill slots once filled by DoD employees. As I recall, their directives were pretty much defined explicitly in the contract. The good part was everyone knew exactly what they were supposed to do. the bad thing was they couldn't be assigned 'other duties as required' because that wasn't spelled out.
Some of them got pretty darn frustrated with the whole system.
Actually that situation would be an improvement on what I have right now. Imagine you start working on a project without and explicitly defined contract. And so you tell your client, "hey we need an explicitly defined contract" so I know what it is you want precisely and you get it at a price we can both agree on.

Instead he tells you the tasks he wants you to perform, so you do, even after you tell him the problems in doing the way he wants it......... and now he is complaining about how much it cost.

Actually that situation would be an improvement on what I have right now. Imagine you start working on a project without and explicitly defined contract.
I'm really surprised your boss doesn't insist on a contract with everything explicitly filled out. That's just asking for trouble.

We have a mechanism in place for that. We call it a project journal. It's just a simple word document but it's pretty effective. Basically, every decision along with the rationale behind it is documented in it. It also contains meeting minutes and who agreed to what and when. We keep it updated and issue it to the client periodically as the project rolls along. It does two things really well. 1) It documents who decided what and when so when you are faced with the client throwing a fit because of where you are, you have a documentation trail of just exactly how you got there. 2) It forces you to spend time thinking about particulars that, by human nature, you will try to put off 'til the end of the project. It takes some extra time to set it up at the beginning of the project but it can be a life-saver at the end.

I'm really surprised your boss doesn't insist on a contract with everything explicitly filled out. That's just asking for trouble.

I agree. I'm a consultant as well after a career in the military and I find it nice that now instead of having to do all the "additional duties as assigned", I can simply say "That's not in my contract. I can perform this service, but it will be a modification to the contract and will cost you more"

It's nice to be able to focus on my job now and not all that extra crap they called "additional duties" when I was in the military.

Here is a little background and why I felt the need to rant so much. At the begining of the project my boss and I put together a Detailed Scope of Work document and submitted it to the client.

His comment was: why are you wasting my time with this?

After that my boss did not insist on having a contract, he basically just let the client direct me on a T&M basis. I tried broaching the subject ....... I was worried at some point, someone was going to complain about price/progress/quality (pick one) but evidently I didn't shout loud enough.

That is how we got to where we are. And it sucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
1) It documents who decided what and when so when you are faced with the client throwing a fit because of where you are, you have a documentation trail of just exactly how you got there.

That is why I do as much communication as possible via email. It's saved my bacon countless times. Although, in my position, it usually involves a contractor and not a client.

Contractor: "We were ready to go ahead with Activity X on August 14th. But you told me I could not go ahead with Activity X until September 1st. So you owe us generator costs for sixteen days."

Me: "Here is an email from me to your foreman, dated August 15th, in which I said to procede...and here is a response from him, dated August 16th. So he must have received the email."

In structural consulting, usually the quality of project = the quality of people. I think it's not a coincidence.

Most guys of integrity seem to be guys in high positions. Not always the case, but more common as I'm getting acquainted with more in high places.

In structural consulting, usually the quality of project = the quality of people. I think it's not a coincidence.
Most guys of integrity seem to be guys in high positions. Not always the case, but more common as I'm getting acquainted with more in high places.
I totally agree with you. When I first started attending meetings with upper management types I was intimidated, but I quickly found out that

A) these guys are way smarter than my typical contacts and

B) Their attitudes are far superior.

Now I usually look forward to working with men/women further up the food chain because they have the experience/expertise and don't need to play silly games.

The project journal is a brilliant idea - I employed a variant of the journal when I was a regulator for slightly different reasons but achieved the same objectives! :)

Here is a little background and why I felt the need to rant so much. At the begining of the project my boss and I put together a Detailed Scope of Work document and submitted it to the client.
His comment was: why are you wasting my time with this?

After that my boss did not insist on having a contract, he basically just let the client direct me on a T&M basis. I tried broaching the subject ....... I was worried at some point, someone was going to complain about price/progress/quality (pick one) but evidently I didn't shout loud enough.

That is how we got to where we are. And it sucks.
Funny - as a client seeking out the services of a consultant, I can offer a spin on that perspective. I agree that without a detailed scope of work, you are asking for *BIG* problems because too many things are left to assumptions by both parties.

Hopefully you can get thru this project and start off with a better basis on the next project. :)

JR

We have a mechanism in place for that. We call it a project journal. It's just a simple word document but it's pretty effective. Basically, every decision along with the rationale behind it is documented in it. It also contains meeting minutes and who agreed to what and when. We keep it updated and issue it to the client periodically as the project rolls along. It does two things really well. 1) It documents who decided what and when so when you are faced with the client throwing a fit because of where you are, you have a documentation trail of just exactly how you got there. 2) It forces you to spend time thinking about particulars that, by human nature, you will try to put off 'til the end of the project. It takes some extra time to set it up at the beginning of the project but it can be a life-saver at the end.
This sounds like a great idea. do you have a format for this or is it as simple as typing every decision/conversation that takes place?

The format is pretty much "free form". Major headings are all that are really set. The guide we use for creating it is attached below.

Journal_Requirements.pdf

Attachments

• Journal_Requirements.pdf
    30.2 KB · Views: 40
I think that is a great idea... even though I keep a log of every phone call I make or take and what it is about, I think a job to job journal of what is happening will stop the inevitable finger-pointing later. Just got burned by a verbal decision management had me incorporate into a proposal for a $60M project when their 'sudden amnesia' kicked in.

This is what drives me nuts.

captain.jpg

A little girl at the helm? Or do you not like bronze statues?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back