well, what did you think (GENERALLY)?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The distribution voltages vary from 4.16kV, really old systems, to 23kV in new systems. Other distribution voltages are 8.32kV and 13.2 kV. That depends on the utility and the transformers they buy.
Or, for those of us at WWII sites, 13.8 kV, which makes transformers more expensive.

Power distribution is referred to the cicuits that "distributes" the electric power from the Substations to the residential and commercial costumers.
The distribution voltages vary from 4.16kV, really old systems, to 23kV in new systems. Other distribution voltages are 8.32kV and 13.2 kV. That depends on the utility and the transformers they buy.

Sorry to stick my nose on somebody else's business. :oops:
Thanks for the definition. :) I meant - I am not sure what grownupsara was referring to specifically, in order to tell her which book was more applicable to what she was looking for. I sure as h&ll hope I know what power distribution is by now, post power-module PE exam!!! :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the definition. :) I meant - I am not sure what grownupsara was referring to specifically, in order to tell her which book was more applicable to what she was looking for. I sure as h&ll hope I know what power distribution is by now, post power-module PE exam!!! :)
I guess what I meant was info on things like faults and short circuits calculations and ratings for equipment/panelboards/cb's, relay controls for larger systems, things like that. Sorry if that's still not specific enough. I have good references on p.u., motors, etc....I guess I'd like to gain a better overall understanding of power distribution in commercial applications.

And, yes, I did take the exam on Friday, and HOPEFULLY I won't have to take it again, but just taking the exam made me realize that I need a better overall understanding of how power distribution systems work. So, even if I do pass (fingers crossed), this is stuff I should know anyways.

Thanks again for your help, shellbell. Maybe if I can find used versions of both books, I'll spring for both of them.

I took the exam at UNT in FortWorth. He tried to convince the proctors but didn't succeed. He walked out silenlty.

Where did you take the exam? There was a guy in my exam that got kicked out for having the wrong calculator too. He actually argued with the proctor, then threw a serious fit when leaving, slamming his books around and yelling a little before leaving.

Great job fellow EE'ers. You survived. Now comes The Wait :17:

Sit back, relax, don't sweat it. I absolutely knew there is no way I could have passed that exam but :pASSED2: .

What's really cool is that now, if you studied hard, your brain is on fire, you've generated some great new ideas, you've learned new things you never knew and re-learned things you thought you had forgotten. No one can take that away and it will shine through in your professional life, regardless of what your score is. Great job! :beerchug:

Hey, Shellbell,Out of the two Bosela books, which would you recommend to help me with my power distribution theory? From the title, it sounds like the "Electrical System Design" is the one I want. My library doesn't have either of these, and I'd rather not buy both books if I don't have to.

Here's my booklist:

1. Schaum's Outlines, Electrical Power Systems (good per unit section, some fault analysis info, nothing too in-depth)

2. Schaum's Outlines, Electric Machines and Electromechanics (good info on xfmrs, more info on EERM for machines but I didn't use it too much)

3. NEC 2005 Handbook (great reference)

4. EERM (used alot in AM, a fair amount in PM)

5. Electrical Systems in Buildings by David Hughes (a fairly old smaller-size book from college, but has good basic info on lighting, branch ckt design, power dist., etc)

6. Eaton Consulting Application Guide (really big design guide, but I got it for free from their website, and used it for one or two prob's in PM; next time around I would review this more in advance b/c it seemed to have useful power system info)

7. "the other board" 6 minute solutions (good for studying, but didn't use too much in exam)

8. "the other board" Practice Problems (ditto)

9. "the other board" Sample Exam (didn't really use this much for studying or during the exam)

10. NCEES Sample Exam (really helped me prepare, but since I knew the info so well from studying, I didn't use it much in exam)

11. Kaplan Sample Exam (got this as a last-minute panic purchase, but didn't end up using)

In binders I had:

1. Dr. Kaiser's sample exam (used it a few times)

2. MIT course notes for amplifiers from their free online database (tried using it a few times when EERM didn't have info, but they didn't really end up helping either)

3. All of my photocopied practice prob's that I didn't use at all

4. My own solutions to NCEES exam. On both this exam and Kaiser's, I would note the EERM equation/page# as a reference which was very helpful during the exam.
grownupsara

Where did you find “Eaton Consulting Application Guide”?

Thanks.

RC

grownupsara
Where did you find “Eaton Consulting Application Guide”?

Thanks.

RC
It takes a bit of searching around on Eaton's website, but go to this link: http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/Markets/Elec...Guide/index.htm

Then, they have a link on the page that says "Click here to request your copy". You have to fill in your info, but I got it in the mail in about a week. I was really surprised at how quickly it ships, especially since it's all free.

It contains alot of tools for specifying their products, but they also have technical application info for each section (panelboards, switchgear, xfmrs, etc.).

Hope it's helpful!

Well I haven't chimed in on this one, mainly spent the week licking my proverbial wounds. Not a lot I can add that would be of any value that hadn't already been said. Excellent thread!

I general I thought it was tougher than the NCEES Sample exam, but as often stated representative.

I feel I could have written most of Grownups comments with the exception I am exactly opposite. Less confident on the morning, more so on the afternoon. Not confident that overall it was enough. I'll be starting some prep work for April, if by chance the Gods felt I deserve it after 20 plus years, and get good news, well thats likely what it will be, a miracle ...LOL

In any event, I too would like to extend my gratitude to those here that have never hesitated to offer help.

John

Back