Well that was fun... now what?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After the PM portion of the lateral exam, 4 of my fellow examinees all stood up, looked at each other, and basically all said at the same time "What in the world was that Xth question all about?". I think there were many obvious errors in the exam this time (to be fair I am sure they will find plenty
After the PM portion of the lateral exam, 4 of my fellow examinees all stood up, looked at each other, and basically all said at the same time "What in the world was that Xth question all about?". I think there were many obvious errors in the exam this time (to be fair I am sure they will find plenty of obvious errors in my responses).

We had very large folding tables with room enough for me to lay out all my books on the back of it and have the front half for test, answer sheet, codes, etc. We also took the test in the ballroom of a 4 star hotel, harpist playing in the lobby when you walk in, mini-chandeliers in each individual bathroom stall, green marble walls separating the bathroom stalls, limos pulling in and out constantly, valets opening the doors for you.

of obvious errors in my responses).

We had very large folding tables with room enough for me to lay out all my books on the back of it and have the front half for test, answer sheet, codes, etc. We also took the test in the ballroom of a 4 star hotel, harpist playing in the lobby when you walk in, mini-chandeliers in each individual bathroom stall, green marble walls separating the bathroom stalls, limos pulling in and out constantly, valets opening the doors for you.
There is a certain question of the multiple choice variety that I’m fairly certain had a typo. Damn palindromes.

Part d) of the first one? Either I totally misunderstood the question or the expected result is entirely absurd.
I understood the question and solved it as required but ended up misreading the data that was given, so I compared my solution to something incorrect/misinterpreted. Kicking myself now lol

There is a certain question of the multiple choice variety that I’m fairly certain had a typo. Damn palindromes.
With the fog slowly clearing up, if what I am thinking is the same last part of a multi-part (not multiple choice as in AM) question in the PM, that was a typo from the keys of the two alphabets being one below the other on the keyboard and pressing the unintended one. Happens a lot and depends on the size of the keys, fingers. I think I took it as a typo and answered on the basis of what I thought it was meant to be. But forgot to state my thinking. Whether they throw out that part in question is a toss up given the obvious nature of the error.

I am already looking for excuses !

Did anyone feel like the AM session was easier than expected? I found it relatively easy, with the exception of a couple of problems.

Did anyone feel like the AM session was easier than expected? I found it relatively easy, with the exception of a couple of problems.
Thats what I felt like after I walked out in October, and failed with 22 correct.

This time felt like a similar level of difficulty, but I do think I caught onto more of their 'gotcha's'

I feel 'confident' in about 33 of the 40 answers. Here's hoping my boneheaded mistakes are few.

Thats what I felt like after I walked out in October, and failed with 22 correct.

This time felt like a similar level of difficulty, but I do think I caught onto more of their 'gotcha's'

I feel 'confident' in about 33 of the 40 answers. Here's hoping my boneheaded mistakes are few.
Kinda in the same boat, I had 26/40 the last time. I did have a few gotcha moments on this one though. So hopefully, my feeling is not misguided.

Last edited:
Easier than expected? Thats impossible to know b/c everyone's expectations are different. All I can say is that I felt like the questions were 2 mins or 10 mins, lol, not too many that felt 6mins.

That said I did think the afternoon felt easier than I expected, but I also tend to fear the worst on these things so that when I do sit for it, it never seems that bad.

I felt it was very different. It didn’t seem so similar to typical practice problems I was used to. This doesn’t necessarily equal easier or harder, but just different. I also felt there were what I would say are “next level” tricks. These were maybe aimed at the trained test taker to look for certain tricks and question whether or not they apply here. There were at least 3 I can remember debating with myself over. Whereas, someone else may blow by a piece of info and get it right cause of it.

I felt it was very different. It didn’t seem so similar to typical practice problems I was used to. This doesn’t necessarily equal easier or harder, but just different. I also felt there were what I would say are “next level” tricks. These were maybe aimed at the trained test taker to look for certain tricks and question whether or not they apply here. There were at least 3 I can remember debating with myself over. Whereas, someone else may blow by a piece of info and get it right cause of it.
I agree that the am was different and eccentric.

I did find it a little odd that there wasn’t enough diversity in the questions for the different materials. Hard to elaborate further without mentioning examples.

Took the lateral test on Friday.

I found the morning to be frustratingly tricky. Even after taking the AEI class, it felt like there were a few questions asked that the topic just wasn't covered. I spoke with the other people taking the exam afterwards and there seemed to be a general consensus on that.

I found the afternoon, overall, to be not too terrible. One question was literally "open to this page of the AEI notes, copy, and paste", so that was nice, haha.

I honestly have no idea how I did. I feel better than I did when I failed vertical the first time I took it, but I feel worse than this past October when I passed vertical.

Latest posts

Back