Well that was fun... now what?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took the lateral test on Friday.

I found the morning to be frustratingly tricky. Even after taking the AEI class, it felt like there were a few questions asked that the topic just wasn't covered. I spoke with the other people taking the exam afterwards and there seemed to be a general consensus on that.

I found the afternoon, overall, to be not too terrible. One question was literally "open to this page of the AEI notes, copy, and paste", so that was nice, haha.

I honestly have no idea how I did. I feel better than I did when I failed vertical the first time I took it, but I feel worse than this past October when I passed vertical.
I agree with you on the AEI notes, they were def. useful particularly for the masonry.

I rather enjoyed the afternoon questions, well, as much as a person can enjoy the PM portion of the lateral SE exam.

I agree that the am was different and eccentric.

I did find it a little odd that there wasn’t enough diversity in the questions for the different materials. Hard to elaborate further without mentioning examples.
I think I know exactly what you mean. I was generally surprised by the material specific questions... again, not from a difficulty perspective, but the kinds of questions they asked.

More than one problem had mistakes. But I already found out my mistake on the concrete problem, which to me appears deadly. Here's to hoping they find issues with the problem itself and not my solution lol
One of the middle parts of the lateral steel PM question threw me off. I ended up resorting saying "I'm assuming this because this isn't super clear" (paraphrased) and moved on. Like you said, I'm hoping it's enough for them to say, "ehh, yeah, ok, you basically know what you're doing".

One of the middle parts of the lateral steel PM question threw me off. I ended up resorting saying "I'm assuming this because this isn't super clear" (paraphrased) and moved on. Like you said, I'm hoping it's enough for them to say, "ehh, yeah, ok, you basically know what you're doing".
Yep, same thing. I stated my assumptions and went with a solution I thought would make sense.

Except for the concrete question, I liked the afternoon.

And now I'm realzing all a sudden how many SE statements I begin with ... "except for the concrete" ... blah blah.

#facepalm

Except for the concrete question, I liked the afternoon.

And now I'm realzing all a sudden how many SE statements I begin with ... "except for the concrete" ... blah blah.

#facepalm
I purposely put that question off to the end for the same reason. If I did poorly on any one question, it was likely that one.

A new, updated practice exam is available starting May 3rd.

Just sayin...

Just sayin...
I think from what I read earlier it will be in line with the new specifications. All planned in advance. So I bet new set of specifications will also be unveiled together.

I purposely put that question off to the end for the same reason. If I did poorly on any one question, it was likely that one.
Amen dude... I saved to the end and got the first two parts of it pretty solid but was in straight up outline mode for the last bits which seemed to be smaller anyways.

Just sayin...
My recycle bin is filled but I’ll keep this in mind if I’m ever at a loss on how to completely waste about 80 bucks, or whatever they’re charging for that.

IN FACT I’d like to see if I could exchange my current practice tests as a possible down payment on a fancy pink new mechanical pencil.

Last point on pencils — I made it a point to ask for a fresh new one, when I still had at least an 1/8” of eraser left. And in my head I did this dance!

Attachments

• B6BF0B7F-D4EB-45F9-9CD6-508B7EBCDCC5.gif
    B6BF0B7F-D4EB-45F9-9CD6-508B7EBCDCC5.gif
    353 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Speaking of the pencils...anybody else dislike the new grips on them the past few exam administrations? I prefer the solid rubber one that I have from April 2018 to the new ridged grips from the last 2 administrations...first world problems!

And, another note on the practice exam...I reviewed the 2011 edition of the NCEES practice exam a few weeks before this test, and it was about 95% identical to the one I just bought last year. Don't waste your money if you already have one. Unless of course, word gets out that they did actually decide to make major changes....

Speaking of the pencils...anybody else dislike the new grips on them the past few exam administrations? I prefer the solid rubber one that I have from April 2018 to the new ridged grips from the last 2 administrations...first world problems!
You hit the nail squarely on the head. A writing instrument is first about balance, then close upon its heels grip.

Old is gold. I had this discomfiture writing with this pencil and at home would even try my hand at both. What a contrast - one longer like a real pencil, slim and proper, the other short, obese and ugly. Speed is a factor in exams. I had to push this one. The older one flows on paper. Also, the ridges are curved in the reverse direction. It does not fit the scheme in any way.

I guess the low bid was signed by the bidder with this pen-cil.

So in fairness to their practice exams they’re good for building people they want to see some solid bridge examples on say column design or basic seismic and wind checks ... I’d typically use the bridge PM questions selectively as morning building study questions lol,

So in fairness to their practice exams they’re good for building people they want to see some solid bridge examples on say column design or basic seismic and wind checks ... I’d typically use the bridge PM questions selectively as morning building study questions lol,
Absolutely - having a copy of one of their practice exams is important and worth the $$$. I'd just suggest not buying the latest and greatest on May 3rd expecting a new batch of questions if you already have the one they're selling now.

Absolutely - having a copy of one of their practice exams is important and worth the $$$. I'd just suggest not buying the latest and greatest on May 3rd expecting a new batch of questions if you already have the one they're selling now.
Well let’s not over state it ... there’s some value added from their exams depending how clever a person is with them however they’re not worth the paper they’re printed on.

Well let’s not over state it ... there’s some value added from their exams depending how clever a person is with them however they’re not worth the paper they’re printed on.
Lol. True. I bought all sorts of practice exams...PPI, NCEES, 6 minute solutions, AEI...I'd put AEI above the rest, but I'd say the NCEES is as useful and of similar value as PPI/6 minute solutions or most of what else is out there

Back