Welding design

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZEZO4

ZEZO
Reaction score
Hi,

In the structural engineering reference manual (8th. Ed.) p.p. 4-61 Fig.4.27-b, the effective throat thickness is showing the total base metal depth while it should be the total groove depth per AISC Spec.360 Table J2.1, please correct to me if I'm wrong!

thanks.

Other think, in the example 4.42, it is using Fy for metal base and it should be  use Fu for the metal base because it is partial penetration groove weld per AISC Spec.360 Table J2.5! Please correct to me if I'm wrong.

Thanks.

Effective throat of a CJP groove weld will be equal to the base metal thickness (or thinner of the two parts in a dissimilar thickness weld).  Effective throat of a partial joint penetration groove weld is either equal to the groove depth, or the groove depth minus some Z loss factor depending on application.  This is assuming we're talking only a groove, and not a groove with a reinforcing fillet weld.

Yes that is what it should be but the reference manual shows different think, I just want to verify these mistakes in the reference manual,

Thanks Supe.

Back