Water resource - Open channel flow

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cantaloup

Reaction score
Critical depth, critical velocity, critical slope…are critical! In design hydraulic conveying system, the engineer needs to know the critical slope to calculate the limit the water can flow just like a transportation engineer designing a section of hilly road, it can’t be too steep nor flat (steep road is unconvenient for traffic and flat road is costly to excavate). Here is a simple problem to solve (this question is from Gupta Hydrology & Hydraulic System textbook):

A trapezoidal channel is planned to be built with a bottom width of 13.1 ft and side slope of 4 to 1 (horizontal to vertical) carries a discharge of 1060 cfs. The engineer wants to know the critical depth so that he can calculate the critical slope for designing a proper flow. What is the nearest value of critical depth in feet?

A/ 3.5

B/ 4.0

C/ 4.5

D/ 5.0

Critical depth, critical velocity, critical slope…are critical! In design hydraulic conveying system, the engineer needs to know the critical slope to calculate the limit the water can flow just like a transportation engineer designing a section of hilly road, it can’t be too steep nor flat (steep road is unconvenient for traffic and flat road is costly to excavate). Here is a simple problem to solve (this question is from Gupta Hydrology & Hydraulic System textbook):
A trapezoidal channel is planned to be built with a bottom width of 13.1 ft and side slope of 4 to 1 (horizontal to vertical) carries a discharge of 1060 cfs. The engineer wants to know the critical depth so that he can calculate the critical slope for designing a proper flow. What is the nearest value of critical depth in feet?

A/ 3.5

B/ 4.0

C/ 4.5

D/ 5.0

Ac = 13.1 + 4 Yc2

Tc = 13.1 + 8 Yc2

subing in critical depth Q2/g = Ac3/Tc

n solving iteratively

Yc = 7.87 ft

Ac = 13.1 + 4 Yc2Tc = 13.1 + 8 Yc2

subing in critical depth Q2/g = Ac3/Tc

n solving iteratively

Yc = 7.87 ft
B is the correct answer. (this problem is taken from Gupta Hydraulics book)

The approach is easy but the derivation of the base formula (Q^2*T/G*A^3=1) and the method of solving by iteration would take time, in this case after derive the formula to solve for Y, just plug in the 4 answers to see which one is correct.

I put this formula in the HP33s; to get the answer quick, solve for Y.

G=Q*Q*(B+2*Y*Z)/((B*Y+Z*Y*Y)^3)

In case rectangular channel, put Z=0 or Z=0.0001, G=32.2 for US unit.

B is the correct answer. (this problem is taken from Gupta Hydraulics book)The approach is easy but the derivation of the base formula (Q^2*T/G*A^3=1) and the method of solving by iteration would take time, in this case after derive the formula to solve for Y, just plug in the 4 answers to see which one is correct.

my bad

as you can see i misplaced my Yc

Ac = 13.1 + 4 Yc2 -> should be Ac = 13.1 Yc+ 4 Yc2

Tc = 13.1 + 8 Yc2 -> should be Tc = 13.1 + 8 Yc

new depth is 3.99785 :deadhorse: for my mistake I got to beat this to death n hoping my mason will keep it close to the fifth

B is the correct answer. (this problem is taken from Gupta Hydraulics book)The approach is easy but the derivation of the base formula (Q^2*T/G*A^3=1) and the method of solving by iteration would take time, in this case after derive the formula to solve for Y, just plug in the 4 answers to see which one is correct.

I was cheating a bit by using excel, and also messed up my equation in that process

Thanks for the Eqn, its in my Hp now

ck 944A/31

Back