Washing hands after going to the restroom

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How well do you wash?

• Full surgical-prep style wash

Votes: 18 75.0%
  • Quick rub down with some soap

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Quick rinse with water only

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Anti-bacterial sanitizer instead of wash

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • I don't wash

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I wash my hands every time, but when I'm in a public restroom I almost invariably use just water due to allergen issues with chemicals in most soaps*. That said, it's rarely a "quick rinse"; I still do all the scrubbing I do at home, I just don't use soap. At home I have soap that doesn't leave my hands an itchy, scaly mess.

*At my office, the building owners have two soaps available. I'm allergic to both, for different reasons. Since I'm probably the only person there with the particular combination of allergies to make that an issue, I haven't complained. (For the curious, citrus and aloe. The dispensers have citrus-scented soap, the bottles on the counter aloe.)

Also, I open most bathroom doors with only part (of my left hand. It's the one that I don't really use, so if it gets contaminated the chances of issues are much reduced.

I either use a towel or when they only have a stupid hand dryer (hate hate hate) I use my left pinky. I don't think I have OCD but I've done that for years.

Back