Washing hands after going to the restroom

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How well do you wash?

• Full surgical-prep style wash

Votes: 18 75.0%
  • Quick rub down with some soap

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Quick rinse with water only

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Anti-bacterial sanitizer instead of wash

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • I don't wash

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dexman PE PMP

Internationally PMP'n his PE-ness
Reaction score
This topic came up at work this morning (and I don't really know why), and I was curious to see what everyone's thoughts were. I know conventional thinking is to wash your hands everytime (especially if you're in food service and on the job), but we all know this isn't always the case.

Edit: you can select multiple options...

Last edited by a moderator:
At an automatic flushing urinal when I don't touch anything but my pants and belt, sometimes I don't wash if I'm alone. If there's someone else in the room I always wash. #2 I always wash. Sometimes I wash anyway, not because of going to the bathroom but just because it's good hygiene in general. This is especially true if I've been on an airplane or somewhere else with a lot of people.

Always full wash, there's no point otherwise. People splashing water on their hands and walking out is a pet peeve of mine because you'd be better off not washing at all IMO.

At an automatic flushing urinal when I don't touch anything but my pants and belt, sometimes I don't wash if I'm alone. If there's someone else in the room I always wash. #2 I always wash. Sometimes I wash anyway, not because of going to the bathroom but just because it's good hygiene in general. This is especially true if I've been on an airplane or somewhere else with a lot of people.

Always full wash, there's no point otherwise. People splashing water on their hands and walking out is a pet peeve of mine because you'd be better off not washing at all IMO.

This is pretty much spot on for me as well.

It depends on if I'm going commando or not. . .

Besides, even if I do touch it. . .it's probably cleaner than my hands were anyway.

Kind of like brushing my teeth before bed. I do most every time, but sometimes I just don't feel like it.

At public bathrooms I assume anyone who does the full surgical-prep style wash is trying to sanitize their hands of something they didn't mean to get on their hands.

One work place I was at the females kept records of who was an wasn't a hand washer.. At some point the list was leaked via email... It was pretty funny to most everyone, except the non hands washers.. It was hysterical to me...

My PEness is the cleanest thing in the bathroom... if I can get away with not touching anything else, I just grab a paper towel (to pull the door open) and go.

wash-your-hands-392x525.jpg

I put when I feel like it, but it's most of the time. About the only time I won't do it is if I have no facilities, or if I'm rushing and doing something dirty (e.g. working on the car), in which case I usually wash before, but not after.

why is it that bathroom doors don't swing out to the dining area of a restaurant? People who don't wash their hands afterwards, open the same door you do, and you just washed your hands.

^^^This. This is why I always open the door with a paper towel.

Back