VW Gate

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I honestly don't know what an oil change will cost on my '13 Jetta, because I'm still in the window of free oil changes at the dealer (they give you the first 30k miles free).

I guess I'll find out in a few thousand miles, but if they want $200 for a regular oil change I have plenty of tools at home, and for that kind of money I can make the time.

You people and your expensive-ass oil changes. $6/qt for full synthetic + good filter = $40-$50 tops. If you own a C7 corvette with a dry sump that takes 10.5 quarts, call it $75...

I avoid German cars for their stupid high maintenance costs. The 2006 Jetta I had would cost more for an oil change (little 2.5L 5 cylinder ~$200) than my Camaro (6.2L V8 ~$120).

$200 for an oil change? What the hell kind of oil were they using?

VW has their own oil or something if I remember right, when we got rid of the passat we had I gave a jug of the stuff that had a bug

They want you to think that, but in fact there are lots of products on the market that meet their standard. Mobil 1 is fine even for the newest diesel volkswagens if you buy the correct type. There are other brands too, I think it has to be synthetic or blended though. My dad's got a 2003 TDI and for that car he buys something blend called Excelon ST, made by D-A. Not sure on price, it comes through a distributor.

Its the same with coolant, they tell you it has to be VW brand but really there are lots of ones at Auto Zone that meet the spec. And windshield wipers...

They force their customers to become resourceful or make them pay out the ass for everything. Kind of annoying for sure.

I would hope any money that has spent time in anyone's ass is cleaned before it's use.

Lol...Man i just spewed out my salad from the salad bar while enjoying dinner at the strip club

g16Zhpo.jpg

Many years ago, in some twisted effort to disassociate it's name from the Classic VW culture, VW-Int'l went on a jihad to crack down on parts suppliers for old VW's - Beetles & Ghias & Buses & Type IV Wagons (who everybody knows had the best engines). They were going after mom & pop suppliers for whatever they had on the shelves if it had a VW label on it. It was twisted in the sense that THEY no longer supplied these parts, but they didn't want anybody else supplying them either, even though there's really not much other thing to call a classic VW part. It's ridiculous to try to stop people from calling a classic VW a VW. So at the same time they were trying to promote the classic VW image with the New Beetles, they were destroying the real classic VW culture. It was not well-received.

And oh, btw, new beetles sucked. Reap what you have sown VW. Karma's a fickle bitch.

Easiest and correct way to resolve this is for the governement to fine the snot out of VW (if the company goes down the tubes....so what) for violating the laws and just exempt the affected affected cars from emissions testing and them keep operating as is. This is an "environmental" issue and not a safety issue. End users and consumers are not to blame and aside from the non-compliance with emissions the cars function the way the consumers expected them to. Tough rockos on any loss of resale value. You can't predict resale anyway. There are so many federal and state emissions exempt vehicles as it is, that I can't see group of vehicles affecting the environment significantly if they conform or don't.

Easiest and correct way to resolve this is for the governement to fine the snot out of VW (if the company goes down the tubes....so what) for violating the laws and just exempt the affected affected cars from emissions testing and them keep operating as is. This is an "environmental" issue and not a safety issue. End users and consumers are not to blame and aside from the non-compliance with emissions the cars function the way the consumers expected them to. Tough rockos on any loss of resale value. You can't predict resale anyway. There are so many federal and state emissions exempt vehicles as it is, that I can't see group of vehicles affecting the environment significantly if they conform or don't.
This

I would like to see our government hand out a very stiff fine to this foreign company, have to make an example out of someone...

From what I've seen recently VW has not ruled out compensating customers for lost resale value, as a goodwill gesture. As an owner I don't really want the money, I'd rather they leave my car alone and get on with life.

In my opinion when caught defying regulations for sales in a specific country through blatently deceptive engineering, the company should pay enormous fines to the regulators of that country and then have sanctions against them from doing business in the country period.

This isn't an oversight it's downright criminal and decptive.

All these other recalls like the whole ignition thing are engineering glitches and have caused some safety issues, but the number of occurances is pretty small given the total number of vehicles affected. Sorry people you can't have a 100% success rate at anything.

Back