Voltage drop, power factor question

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparky Bill PE

Senior, Master, Professional, Licensed Electrical
Reaction score
when working this problem, I took .85 as face value for power factor and used Z chart, obviously I'm wrong but I don't know why. 

image.png

image.png

when working this problem, I took .85 as face value for power factor and used Z chart, obviously I'm wrong but I don't know why. 

View attachment 19110

View attachment 19111

I got it right,though. I used Zeff=0.08ohm/1000ft for p.f=0.85 column on Table 9 chapter 9.

Vdrop-3phase = (sqrt of 3)(Iline)(Zeff)(length)=(Sqrt of 3)(566)(0.08/1000)(100)=7.84 Volts (answer B)

Do you transform one of these equations or do you memorize that for the test? I'm doing the best I can to stick to the reference book I don't use any of my books or Zachs printed notes. I have a damn 12 month catalog of references that are useless. :(

image.png

Do you transform one of these equations or do you memorize that for the test? I'm doing the best I can to stick to the reference book I don't use any of my books or Zachs printed notes. I have a damn 12 month catalog of references that are useless. :(

View attachment 19115
I just used the reference handbook as my guide but I don't used most of their formulas exactly the way they show it.

Just for example that Voltage drop formula. It say that if it is 3 phase you will need to use K=2/sqrt of 3. But in my mind, the 2 will just cancel to the formula and it will end up with(sqrt of 3)(L)(R)(I)/1000 . and we know that the R/1000 is the effective impedance. 

That 1000 in the denominator should not be there since you will already divide the effective impedance by 1000.

I just used the reference handbook as my guide but I don't used most of their formulas exactly the way they show it.

Just for example that Voltage drop formula. It say that if it is 3 phase you will need to use K=2/sqrt of 3. But in my mind, the 2 will just cancel to the formula and it will end up with(sqrt of 3)(L)(R)(I)/1000 . and we know that the R/1000 is the effective impedance. 

That 1000 in the denominator should not be there since you will already divide the effective impedance by 1000.
Thanks for explaining the 2/root 3

View attachment 19115
Hi @SparkyBill

Take a look at the live class recording for voltage drop from last semester and it will clear this up for you and demystify the handbook formula. It's really just using the nec effective impedance approach for approximating voltage drop using magnitudes only. If you have any issues, be sure to post in the live class discussion board so we can clear it up 👍

Back