Vacation ROCKS!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Master slacker

Something awesome.
Reaction score
So, what happens when you have a year's worth of vacation built up and haven't taken any of it until now? Well, if you're like me, you take all of it during the last month of the year! :woot:

So I worked my ass off this morning at work to square things away before I left at lunch time. My ass nearly fell off taking care of everything, but it's all tooken care of. Came home to do a little more work in the future baby's room... while drinking a beer (or 3)... and drilling holes in the wall. Best part is that I can hit the repeat button for tomorrow, but just not show up for work at all (insert awesome yell and waving banner from my fans here). On top of that, I'm only working 4 more days this year. Yes, I am THAT awesome. :drunk:

Carry on, you worker bees. Be productive and stuff.

Bastard.

My company said at the beginning of the year... we're eliminating the vacation bank, so you have to take your annual allotment of vacation and 1/2 of your bank this year, then your annual allotment and remainder of your bank next year.

I had 6.5 weeks of vacation to burn.

They also told us to PLAN on taking off all of Thanksgiving week, Christmas week, and New Year's week.

Guess what? Orders are up, we're working our asses off, all vacation is cancelled and when the year is done, I'll probably lose about 2 weeks of vacation.

But, I have a job, so I'll stop complaining.

Bastard.
My company said at the beginning of the year... we're eliminating the vacation bank, so you have to take your annual allotment of vacation and 1/2 of your bank this year, then your annual allotment and remainder of your bank next year.

I had 6.5 weeks of vacation to burn.

They also told us to PLAN on taking off all of Thanksgiving week, Christmas week, and New Year's week.

Guess what? Orders are up, we're working our asses off, all vacation is cancelled and when the year is done, I'll probably lose about 2 weeks of vacation.

But, I have a job, so I'll stop complaining.
You may want to check your state's labor laws. Your employer may be either required to let you take your vacation days later, or compensate you for them.

I wish we had a vacation bank. We can only carry 40 hours over into the next year for any given year. But don't think I'm just throwing away productivity by taking all my vacation now. Oh no no no no no... I gotta "nest" for my wife since she can't perform any labor. Wanna take a guess at how many times chairs and couches have been moved?

I am not allowed to bank vacation hours either. I am allowed to carryover a max of 40 hours but I have to fill out a form which explains why I need to. The explanation has to be business related. It can't be " I didn't feel like taking vacation this year".

I've never had a problem taking all my vacation though. I don't mind, really.

We are moving the offices this year during the week between Christmas and New Year. So any time I'm taking off will be spent doing that.

I'm really tickled to be moving, so I'm not complaining!

If I can wrap up my closeouts on some projects, I can manage leaving Michigan for the last two weeks of December to head for Florida! :woot:

JR

you know whats ironic is last May was the first "real" vacation I have probably taken in close to 15 years, and by real vacation I mean , no kids, just a week, me and the old lady in the florida keys, diving, drinking, and eating, and actually relaxing..

before this vacation I had of course taken time off to go to disney (no vacation IMO) a few days here and there, but I found that I didnt think much about "my next vacation" and I focused more on work, working, what I can do at work, what can i get caught up on at work, etc..

well ever since my 2009 May vacation to the Keys last year, all I can think about......... is taking another "real vacation".....

its had a very adverse effect on me if that makes any sense...

i know what road guy means, but my vacation involves family each year to fla. my kids are 23 and 17 so not much bother from them and everyone looks froward to the next year. i get 4 weeks a year and can bank up to 4 weeks. i usually carry 3 weeks each year.

I don't get any paid vacation since I'm a sole proprietor, but I don't complain about that, because the day-to-day flexibility of my schedule is so awesome.

That being said, I have a difficult time relaxing when I *do* go on vacation. I'm always thinking of things I need to be doing, whether they be household- or kid-related things, or work-related things. So 2 or 3 days is all I can stand at a time, anyway.

Good morning, everybody. Just a status update for today. I'm off for the next 5 days and I only work 2 more days this month. I appreciate the concern you may have, but do not worry, I have plenty of video games to play until my next work day.

Good morning, everybody. Just a status update for today. I'm off for the next 5 days and I only work 2 more days this month. I appreciate the concern you may have, but do not worry, I have plenty of video games to play until my next work day.

Don't worry. I can assure you, we all think you suck.

^The party is over when the baby arrives, trust me. Although it is funny to listen to your wife and daughter snore at the same time.

I'm on "use it or lose it" days right now, too. But I always have too much going on to really relax - spent the whole day in the jungle today cutting a trail for this weekend's big party run (the 25th anniversary of the Saipan Hash house Harriers) and the rest of this week is all carting kids around to different events while my wife is away ... on a work trip. I don't even get my Thursday a.m. coffee with the guys (other water/enviro engineers on the island), because I have to deliver my daughter to her Christmas play rehearsal.

but the good news is that I get to bank 360 hours and I have way more than that. So evn though I am poised to lose maybe 1.5 weeks (unless I can take it before Jan 1!) I still have 2 months of vacation I can burn when I resign to take my next job! Hopefully within the next month or two....

I just started a new job, so I am vacationless this Christmas. On top of that, most of my coworkers are 6-week a year folks, so they are all taking the last two weeks of the year off. Its going to be very boring around here.

My last day of work this year will be on the 23rd and I won't be back to work until the 11th of January. I'm looking forward to some time off with Mrs. Ble and Mini Ble.

Latest posts

Back