Updated Mechanical PE exam format for Oct 2008

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GT ME

Reaction score
Wow -- I honestly believe that NCEES updating the PE exam format for Mechanical PE for October 2008 surreptitiously undermines their credibility.

1) At least 1 year should be given to all candidates on revisions to exam formats -- give me a break -- since most of us work full-time, it's hard to prepare for the PE exam -- NCEES revision is plain ignorant to working engineers wanting to become PEs.

Hugs out to all candidates that have to prepare for the new format -- brutal.

2) I like the revision from "Mechanical Design" to "Mechanical Systems & Materials" but feel having "HVAC & R" & "Fluid & Thermal Systems" is too similar in mechanical engineering disciplines -- I think HVAC&R should be incorporated into Fluid & Thermal Systems and have "Energy Conversion Systems & Applications" as part of the PE Mechanical?

HVAC& R is a puny 40 billion dollar industry and should be part of Fluid & Thermal Systems.

In addition, no other engineering discipline has the credentials that mechanical has with energy conversion from one form to another.

Thoughts please.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the switch from MD to MS&M... it seems more current.

as far as HVAC, i don't mind it having its own PM, as it is one of the few industries where a mech PE means anything...

Wow -- I honestly believe that NCEES updating the PE exam format for Mechanical PE for October 2008 surreptitiously undermines their credibility.
1) At least 1 year should be given to all candidates on revisions to exam formats -- give me a break -- since most of us work full-time, it's hard to prepare for the PE exam -- NCEES revision is plain ignorant to working engineers wanting to become PEs.

Hugs out to all candidates that have to prepare for the new format -- brutal.

2) I like the revision from "Mechanical Design" to "Mechanical Systems & Materials" but feel having "HVAC & R" & "Fluid & Thermal Systems" is too similar in mechanical engineering disciplines -- I think HVAC&R should be incorporated into Fluid & Thermal Systems and have "Energy Conversion Systems & Applications" as part of the PE Mechanical?

HVAC& R is a puny 40 billion dollar industry and should be part of Fluid & Thermal Systems.

In addition, no other engineering discipline has the credentials that mechanical has with energy conversion from one form to another.

Thoughts please.
Same thing happened for the civil PE exam this last april they changed the format

and only gave six month warning.

I agree they should give a year warning.

Back