UC Prejudiced Against Engineers

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benbo

Reaction score
http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/c...?nclick_check=1

"The board also will consider for the first time the possibility of charging more for undergraduate business and engineering students, much as it does for graduate students in those fields. Undergraduates in those departments would pay up to $1,000 more than other students."

Wonderful, in addition to proposing 30% fee hikes they are planning to penalize people for pursuing a major that might actually lead to employment.

That stinks....

But hey, maybe this goes hand-in-hand with the notion of requiring a Master's Degree as a ploy to up the "status" of the engineering profession..... If it costs more, it must be worth more, right?????

:BS:

But hey, maybe this goes hand-in-hand with the notion of requiring a Master's Degree as a ploy to up the "status" of the engineering profession..... If it costs more, it must be worth more, right?????
The problem is that this isn't being done across the board in other states, thus creating unfair (dis)advantage.

JR

^I was being sarcastic, in reference to what I now call the "wingtip crowd" - those folks at NCEES, NSPE and ASCE who want to push the BS+30 movement as a way to "increase the respectability and status" of the engineering profession to more along the lines of being a lawyer......

^^^Oh yeah, the academics who dictate what those in the trenches day to day must endure to pad the college/university pockets.

I have no problem with advanced degrees, but the whole thought of requiring the FE exam and valid work experience was to give engineers a sort of practical 'apprenticeship', right? (as opposed to a lawyer that has to endure three more years of insane tuition and then a test)?

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/c...?nclick_check=1
"The board also will consider for the first time the possibility of charging more for undergraduate business and engineering students, much as it does for graduate students in those fields. Undergraduates in those departments would pay up to $1,000 more than other students."

Wonderful, in addition to proposing 30% fee hikes they are planning to penalize people for pursuing a major that might actually lead to employment.
not that unusual. We paid more than other undergraduate programs. It was like $500-600 a semester more for the engineering and then all the chemistry fee add ons...so about about what they are proposing.

Last edited by a moderator:
not that unusual. We paid more than other undergraduate programs. It was like $500-600 a semester more for the engineering and then all the chemistry fee add ons...so about about what they are proposing.
Paying lab fees I understand. But this is completely counter to what we always hear, that they want to encourage kids to go into engineering. Not to mention that I bet the engineering and other scientific departments get other subsidies from local industry. Other than labs it isn't more expensive to teach engineers than anyone else. I wonder if you can major in Anthropology but take only engineering classes and then change your major at the last minute.

Of course, I doubt the extra 10% will discourage someone who really wants to be in this glamorous profession.

Makes sense to me, it's The Peoples Republic of California right? Engineers tend to make more right?

Like Nancy Pelosi says, "from each according to their ability to each according to their need." Engineers, business majors, and scientists should pay tuition, arts, communications, and poli-sci majors should go to school for free.

We ended up paying more but that was because we required a way more credits.

And I flipped out about the plus 30 last week...especially since I took Mechanics of Materials from one of the main guys pushing this in NCEES and he knew SH!T about teaching. Didn't really bolster the thought that I was learning more in the classroom.

Wow the tuition price difference went way up. For University of IL

Base Rate $9,484

Chem/Life Science/Business/ Engineering $13,802

Like Nancy Pelosi says, "from each according to their ability to each according to their need." Engineers, business majors, and scientists should pay tuition, arts, communications, and poli-sci majors should go to school for free.
Ouch.

Wow the tuition price difference went way up. For University of IL
Base Rate $9,484

Chem/Life Science/Business/ Engineering $13,802
Ouch +1

JR

Other than labs it isn't more expensive to teach engineers than anyone else.
I would have to say yes because of the opportunity costs. Businessmen and engineers could easily NOT teach and make substantially more than they would by teaching. So, in order to motivate really smart people to teach smart kids about those subjects, you need to lessen that opportunity cost to a point where teaching becomes an attractive alternative. The only really good way to do that is to offer them more money. If you are paying the engineering and business professors more money than the arts and crafts teachers, then it makes sense to charge the engineering and business students more for that education.

The English and ____-studies majors have virtually no other option than to teach with their degrees. So you can pay them a pittance and they would be happy to just have a job. Plus, they are teaching other students that have similarly useless ambitions, so the teaching job is less critical as well. It also makes sense for those kids to throw away as little money as possible on their education since they likely won't ever get out of it what they put into it.

I would have to say yes because of the opportunity costs. Businessmen and engineers could easy NOT teach and make substantially more than they would by teaching. So, in order to motivate really smart people to teach smart kids about those subjects, you need to lessen that opportunity cost to a point where teaching becomes an attractive alternative. The only really good way to do that is to offer them more money. If you are paying the engineering and business professors more money than the arts and crafts teachers, then it makes sense to charge the engineering and business students more for that education.
Look like that may be true.. I thought all state university professors got paid on a set scale based on tenure / time / dean or department head status. I thought the only people who got extra salary were in the med school / law school.

But I went on this database and typed in UCLA, and it appears there is a separte scale for Engineering/Buisness/Econ profs. I'm not sure it's higher accross the board, but it looks like the hgihest paid profs are either in med school, law school, or in this category.

http://www.sacbee.com/statepay/

And I can see why some docs make so much money. In addition to their practices, and consulting they can teach a few hours a week and get these kind of salaries.

Of course, let's not forget coaches Nueheisel and Howland. They are at the very top.

I've heard that the nursing shortage going on right now (at least in the NW) is because they can't find enough nurses who are willing to make significantly less money going into teaching vs nursing. The competition to get into a nursing program is very tough . . .

Of course, let's not forget coaches Nueheisel and Howland. They are at the very top.
I like to call him Nue-weasel :)

as a UC alumni, my official response is #&*% *&%^ *&^% sucking @&$ raping, mother$@#&ing, piece of ^@#&ing &%$# $^*#!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111oneoneone

I've heard that the nursing shortage going on right now (at least in the NW) is because they can't find enough nurses who are willing to make significantly less money going into teaching vs nursing. The competition to get into a nursing program is very tough . . .

I like to call him Nue-weasel :)

I can vouch for this, my GF is in nursing school in Portland right now and she told me once that her entire class had a 3.9 GPA or better in the prerequisites to get accepted. They also had an interview process.

I think OSU had about a 3.0 or better to get into the ME program, not that Undergrads were clamoring to be allowed into that sort of punishment.

Back