Two versions of PE Seal

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blewis216

Reaction score
So I was just licensed in the state of Texas and had my stamp made. My company made a stamp for me as well. The problem is that I used middle initial and my company used my full name... is there any issue with having two slightly different versions of my PE seal, and can I use both?

So I was just licensed in the state of Texas and had my stamp made. My company made a stamp for me as well. The problem is that I used middle initial and my company used my full name... is there any issue with having two slightly different versions of my PE seal, and can I use both?
Not sure if the statute addresses this or not (you could contact the licensing board to confirm), but for me personally, I would want to be consistent across the PE sealing methods I used. Not to mention having the seal also match what's on your corresponding license.

Last edited by a moderator:
The general rule of thumb is to use what is on your license.  Otherwise, we recommend contacting the Texas board and ask them if it is ok to provide the other format you want.

Just to close the loop on this... As I should have expected, Texas was not cool with having two different seals, only one can be used.

Just to close the loop on this... As I should have expected, Texas was not cool with having two different seals, only one can be used.
Either one though, but only one, or does it have to be exactly what's on the certificate? 

My certificate I believe will spell out my middle name, but I planned to have the stamp just be the initial and that's what I'll submit to the board and only ever use. 

Either one though, but only one, or does it have to be exactly what's on the certificate? 

My certificate I believe will spell out my middle name, but I planned to have the stamp just be the initial and that's what I'll submit to the board and only ever use. 
Typically, it's common practice and advisable by most state boards to have the license and seal match. This ultimately avoids confusion in the event audits are conducted, plans reviewed, etc.

Typically, it's common practice and advisable by most state boards to have the license and seal match. This ultimately avoids confusion in the event audits are conducted, plans reviewed, etc.
I absolutely agree, when in doubt use what is on your license. Texas does however allow for the use of middle initial:

137.31(d) All seals obtained and used by license holders shall contain any given name, commonly accepted variation of the given name, or initial
combination with the surname as currently listed with the board and in the usual written signature. Nicknames shall not be permitted on a
seal in lieu of a given name or initial combination. The name can be displayed on the seal using all uppercase letters such as "LESLIE H.
DOE" or using the standard combination of upper and lowercase letters, such as "Leslie H. Doe". If after licensure, a license holder legally
changes his/her name, the license holder must have a new seal or seals made showing the new legal name and submit an imprint or imprints
of the new seal(s) to the board for review, approval, and processing (submitted within 60 days of name change).

I'm in Texas as well which is why this thread suited me. I went with middle initial since that's how I sign my name, plus I'm not sure how it'd all fit if I spelled it out (19 characters not including 2 spaces). I did spell out my full legal first name and not the short version I go by. 

Ordered a pre-inked stamp and an electronic seal which arrived in like 1 hour via email. 

I'm in Texas as well which is why this thread suited me. I went with middle initial since that's how I sign my name, plus I'm not sure how it'd all fit if I spelled it out (19 characters not including 2 spaces). I did spell out my full legal first name and not the short version I go by. 

Ordered a pre-inked stamp and an electronic seal which arrived in like 1 hour via email. 
Congrats! Don't forget to send that new seal in to be approved!

Back