Two AK State Troopers Killed in the Line of Duty

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akwooly

Has gone PRO
Reaction score
I saw this on the news this morning. Sorry for your loss. Sounds like details are a little sketchy on what happened and why.

Last edited by a moderator:
I knew these two troopers as well. Served several times with them on various Search & Rescue operations. Good guys. They will be missed.

I feel sorry for their families.

Details are still being put together. Full reports will likely be released in coming weeks.

CNN said they were called in as backup for the local PD, which said an altercation broke out over the sale of a $150 couch? hopefully thats not true.. jesus...

so did they have to get flown in there?

^ Tanana is only accessible by boat or plane. Since the river is in process of breakup; it's air travel only.

Don't know if they took one of the trooper planes or hired one of the local crews to take them out. The chartered trooper flights can be fun to be on.

As for the local PD, it's a VPSO, or Village Public Safety Officer. The legislature has just started the process to permit them to carry firearms. Currently it's bear spray, clubs and limited tazers. Or brute size. The VPSO in Mt. Village isn't called "tiny" for nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, they had to be flown in. Scott and Gabe were Rural Rovers, they are based in Fairbanks but get dispatched to the surrounding villages as back up to the Village Public Safety Officers (VSPO). (these villages are not connected by road air only) The only "Law Enforcement" are the VSPOs but they are not allowed to carry firearms(only tasers).

The link that Wooly posted is probably the best public article thus far that I've seen covering what happened.

More information will likely be released as it gets vetted.

I find this hard to write as I just watched the initial farewell procession pass by as I walked back to my office from lunch. Those two had a proper farewell from everyone on the street and local businesses. Several stood by with hands over their hearts or by saluting the cars as they passed. I openly admit I was one of them.

This procession was taking them from the airport to the funeral home.

There was an outpouring of support from local fire departments, city, state and federal officers. If they weren't in a squad car, they were in their personal.

Farewell brothers, you will be missed.

I was mistaken above, they were not being transferred to a funeral home. They were going to the ME's office.

Several photos now on the ADN website of people showing last respects.

Latest posts

Back