Transportation

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Transpo is well known as the easiest discipline. If you need anything more than the CERM and your 6-minute solutions, you don't deserve to call yoursef a professional.
I could have easily passed this.
What you need to do is shut the @#%^ up. You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. And if I remember correctly, you had to take it multiple (meaning more than one) times before passing. What does that say about you? I think it says you need to get off the damn pedestal you have put yourself on and get back to reality.

Transpo is well known as the easiest discipline. If you need anything more than the CERM and your 6-minute solutions, you don't deserve to call yoursef a professional.
then why didn't you pass it? if u can't achieve a thing then its better to keep your mouth shut on that. transportation is well conceived as the easiest discipline.. grow up, there is more to transportation than just curves and LOS.

And here is why you piss people off. You are one of the most arrogant, egotistical people I have seen in a while. At least the others had reasons for arrogance....you have none.

Wow...this guy is an asshole. Plain and simple. There were questions on the test that were simple look up from the list that WEREN'T in the CERM or 6-minute solutions.

I would suggest getting your hands on every transportation manual you can bring, including the Bicycle and Pedestrian book from AASHTO. Much of transportation isn't number crunching as much as it is number looking. This was the best piece of advice I received...now I need to know if it paid off.

Wow...this guy is an asshole. Plain and simple. There were questions on the test that were simple look up from the list that WEREN'T in the CERM or 6-minute solutions.

I would suggest getting your hands on every transportation manual you can bring, including the Bicycle and Pedestrian book from AASHTO. Much of transportation isn't number crunching as much as it is number looking. This was the best piece of advice I received...now I need to know if it paid off.

I definitely agree. That is why I ranted about him when he first posted this nonsense.

btw...what state are you in? Have you not received your results yet???

I really liked that everyone jumped on him at the beginning.

Wyoming...talked to my board yesterday and they said they have results and will be mailing next week. I threw up in my mouth a little when I heard that.

I can agree with what the others have said as far as preparation and organization. Half of the battle is knowing where to find something or at least which manual covers which topics quickly. Another important thing to do is to focus on the NCEES specifications for the exams and concentrate your efforts in those areas. Here is the link to the breadth and all of the depth modules http://www.ncees.org/exams/professional/pe_civil_exams.php There are numerous combination of problems and types of problems that can be developed from these specifications, so it's hard to cite specific examples.
If you are worried about the structural, don't be, it's very basic (or al least in Oct. it was) and of all of the AM questions except for one you didn't even need a calculator. Which was kind of dissapointing after looking back on how much time was spent working problems and doing calculations but I guess it helped understand the theory. I've heard the test can vary greatly from test to test.

I had been out of school for 11 years and understand how it's hard to get back in an re-learn concepts you don't use on a day to day basis. One thing I found helpful was the online review course by Texas A&M, it's dated a little bit, but if you are a visual learner it helped ease the process of learning and remembering. and it's free http://engineeringregistration.tamu.edu/ta...ws/PEreview.htm
The Tx. A&M review course is very helpful! Thanks Slates!!!!

Here is my advice. I like you was a structures guy in college. Been in the Construction Management industry though for approx 15 years. Finally got up the nerve and took the PE this fall and passed in Transpo. So it definitely could be done.

If you could find a review course take it, if you can't hit the books.

Here is what I took into the Exam.

CERM

HCM

AASHTO Green Book

ACI Code

And a couple of 6 minute solution books.

Like everyone has said there is a lot of questions on the exam that require no calcs at all. You either pull the answer out of the CERM, HCM or Green Book.

The CERM breaks down the test per discipline. My strategy to attack the test was concentrating my time on the topics covered in the afternoon portion of the exam. If you understand those concepts well you should blow this thing up. Structures questions are Shear Moment and reaction types and with your background in structures you should be able to do that stuff with just a quick refresher.

Now working CM for the past 15 years gave me an added advantage of really knowing cost control and CPM questions. However, if I am not mistaken those question now are pushed into the Construction PE that they are adding for spring. Any thing else you need just yell. I wish I would have known about this forum before the exam.

GOOD LUCK!

I would highly recommend the 6 minute solution books, they introduced me to problems I had not seen elsewhere.

I took the transportation exam and only bought the transportation 6 minute solutions as it was my primary focus. I am sure glad I did because they haqd similar problems on the actual exam.

I took the Oct 07 exam with the Transpo depth and I can say that I out smarted myself in the AM. I looked through the AM portion and looked for the questions that were easy look up/definition types. after that I intended to do the ones I knew how to do immediately and then focus on the ones I didn't know how to do. Well after doing the "easy ones", I just turned to the front of the book and started doing them in order. Unfortunately the more difficult (and time consuming) ones were at the front and I spent too much time on them and I wound up hearing the time keeper call 15 minutes while I had 6 problems left. Of course I knew how to do all 6 but not in 15 minutes as they required a series of calculations. so I finished 2 and had to guess at the last 4. needless to say that's how you wind up with 20/40 in the AM.

In the PM, I used the strategy I intended to use in the AM and wound up getting 23/26 Transpo and 7/14 Geo/WR for 30/40 and a combined 50/80. not enough to pass, but had I stuck to my original strategy, I would've done better in the morning and maybe got closer to passing at 55 or 56/80.

All that being said, you definitely need the Transpo references for the PM. I had them all except the Asphalt handbook. The HCM, MUTCD, ITE, and AASHTO Green Book were most helpful.

Hi, I appeared for the Oct 07 PE exam with Transpo depth and still waiting for the results in California.

Adding to what other people have posted here as important references books for Transpo PM, I would very very strongly recommend :

Traffic Engineering by Roess, Prassas and McShane (http://www.amazon.com/Traffic-Engineering-Third-Roger-Roess/dp/0131424718)

The key to study important topics from this book and know where is what, and you won't believe how many questions you can solve by refering this book. I studied this book as my textbook in the school, so, I kind of knew inside out of it. Moreover, itsa a good professional reference. Though, the book name is Traffic Engineering, it also covers basic highways and transportation planning stuff. Good thing is that its updated according to HCM latest editions.

My two cents.

Good luck.

Good luck, DIZZEE. I agree with the suggestions given. I hope you will disregard anything that was less than encouraging. I passed Transpo depth last year and had left college many, many years ago. Don't let that worry you. It's more about learning the references and being able to find the information quickly. Good luck and we're here to help.

When I started to study transportation PM topics, I would read a problem and say, "I have absolutely no idea how to even start this problem."

Then I'd look at my 50 pounds of borrowed references and figure there's no way I'd ever learn everything I need to know.

But I eventually passed on my first try so don't panic.

At first, I just read the problems and solutions because I had no clue.

I would tab and become familiar with the sections that the solutions refer to in the MUTCD, Green Book, etc. If you are like me, it's the first time you have ever opened those books.

After awhile, you will read through a review question and know which book you must refer to. Then you will learn which section, then which table, etc. Before you know it, you will have a working knowledge of all the references you need for the transportation PM.

Don't panic, put your time in and you will be fine.

If I remember correctly, you have to be careful in the Green Book because there are tables that are easy to mix up. Look at the table title or heading and make sure it is the correct one.

If I remember correctly, you have to be careful in the Green Book because there are tables that are easy to mix up. Look at the table title or heading and make sure it is the correct one.
I find that the Roadside Design Guide is another one with tables that are easy to get mixed up b/c they give you two, one in English units and one in metric, and both tables look identical and often seem to be on separate pages. Be careful, read the titles and pay attention to units!

Last edited by a moderator:
I find that the Roadside Design Guide is another one with tables that are easy to get mixed up b/c they give you two, one in English units and one in metric, and both tables look identical and often seem to be on separate pages. Be careful, read the titles and pay attention to units!

I highlighted a giant "X" through all the metric tables. Green Book, Roadside, all of them...

But I still used a lot wrong tables. Like in the HCM, which I had never used before test review, I would use the wrong table and get an answer of something like 100, while the choices were all above 1000. So I'd go to the table which was my second guess, solve in the same manner and get an answer which was one of the choices within a couple percent.

Back