Transportation

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIZZEE

Reaction score
I am just starting to study for the apr. 08 afternoon transpo and was wondering what those that took the oct. 07 thought about the test?

Was it really really hard?

What do you think helped you the most?

what could you have done to do better?......

Thanks in advance for any advise that you can provide. I really don't know what to expect and my first couple study sessions haven't gone so well.

I really don't know what to expect and my first couple study sessions haven't gone so well.
What do you mean? Can you elaborate on why you feel this way? I will let others comment on the Transpo exam as I have no information in that regard.

JR

What do you mean? Can you elaborate on why you feel this way? I will let others comment on the Transpo exam as I have no information in that regard.
JR

I mean its been 4 yrs. sense school and it seems like a lot to review. I also started in structures which I haven't looked at sense school. It also seems to be a lot of info. that I need to compile. My main purpose for starting this thread was for any advise that I might get on what to expect, how to best utilize my study time, the best places to find valuable info. ect...

Dizzee,

This is what worked for me (Transpo PM April '07)... it won't work for everyone, but it is an option and what I did to prepare.

You may want to start outlining a notebook for each discipline. In each, list out the topics you will see in each section (including both breadth and depth topics).

Take notes and read up on each topic. Gather references. Make a schedule of what you will cover when. Don't be afraid to tweek your notes as you go along. Use the CERM, old college texts, online Military manuals, etc.... Download and print the MUTCD, HCM.... get all of the suggested books (beg, plead, borrow, copy, get work to buy them... whatever it takes)

After you have created your initial notes, start going through 6 minute solutions... after you go through them, do a post-mortem... add notes and equations on approaches to problems... tab the references as you are using them. Work sample problems, there are many here on this board as well as in the companion book to the CERM.

Take the NCEES practice exam, take the CERM practice exam (much harder than the real deal so don't worry if you don't feel you did well)... again, do a post-mortem and add to your notes.

The test is not all plug and chug, there are a lot of content questions (40/60, 50/50, I have heard many splits).

I felt by approaching the test in a scheduled, logical manner, I was able to control my notebooks and what I had where.

I copied a lot of tables from the CERM and various texts for my binders to avoid unnecessary flipping during the exam.

I would also suggest a unit conversion book to again save time (for any discipline).

Hope this helps you do develop your strategy for passing this test!

Good luck!

-Ray

Oh yeah, I had been out of school for almost 9 years when I took the test... and I don't do transportation for a living. You can pass this test if you put your mind to it!

After taking the Transpo PE this October, I completely agree with Ray.

Also, remember organization is key. There were quite a few "look-up" type problems and if you don't know where things are in your notes, manuals, problems, etc., it will be hard to get those easy answer problems. Organize your notes in a way that makes sense to you; don't try to copies someone else's organizational methods b/c they may not work for you.

Also, read your CERM. This helped me out tremendously in the water resources and environmental parts of the exam. I literally carried that bad-boy with me everywhere I went and read it almost cover to cover. I knew where things were in it so that I could get to stuff fast.

I hope this adds a little bit more to what Ray said...

Good luck in your studying and please make good use of this board...I did and I think it made a huge difference in the way I approached the exam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Ray that is helpful!

Can the HCM be downloaded for free like the MUTCD can? Also, do you have any suggestions on a book of conversions. Do you buy one or is it something that you created yourself? If you created it, would you mind if I got a copy?

^^I know there is a link somewhere on this site that goes to a download of the HCM.

I'll see if I can't find it again.

Thanks Ray that is helpful!Can the HCM be downloaded for free like the MUTCD can? Also, do you have any suggestions on a book of conversions. Do you buy one or is it something that you created yourself? If you created it, would you mind if I got a copy?
Somewhere in the Transpo subforum are the links to the MUTCD and the HCM. I printed both out at work (two sided) but if you don't have that option you can take it to a reprographics place and have them do it (someone said each one was about $25 versus the $130+shipping to buy them)

Lindeburg has a good conversion book you can order for about $25 or $30. (Barnes & Noble, Amazon, "the other board", Walmart online).

I will try to find both of those links again and post them here for the HCM and MUTCD.

-Ray

Thanks Ray that is helpful!

Can the HCM be downloaded for free like the MUTCD can? Also, do you have any suggestions on a book of conversions? Do you buy one or is it something that you created yourself? If you created it, would you mind if I got a copy?

Thanks Ray that is helpful!Can the HCM be downloaded for free like the MUTCD can? Also, do you have any suggestions on a book of conversions? Do you buy one or is it something that you created yourself? If you created it, would you mind if I got a copy?
Lindeburg has a good conversion book you can order for about $25 or $30. (Barnes & Noble, Amazon, "the other board", Walmart online).

The HCM used to be at the Colorado DOT site and is no longer there. I am trying to see if I can find it anywhere else.

-Ray

The HCM used to be at the Colorado DOT site and is no longer there. I am trying to see if I can find it anywhere else.
I've briefly tried looking for it elsewhere without any success. I downloaded it back when it was available from the Colorado DOT website, but it is to large to upload here directly and I would be concerned about the copyright implications of doing so. I assume that may be why it was taken down from the DOT website to begin with.

^^^I was thinking the same thing... plus the file is upwards of 30MB if I remember.
yup, just under 30MB (26.4MB). If anyone does find it online and wants to print it make sure you can print duplex and have a really really big binder available. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I can agree with what the others have said as far as preparation and organization. Half of the battle is knowing where to find something or at least which manual covers which topics quickly. Another important thing to do is to focus on the NCEES specifications for the exams and concentrate your efforts in those areas. Here is the link to the breadth and all of the depth modules http://www.ncees.org/exams/professional/pe_civil_exams.php There are numerous combination of problems and types of problems that can be developed from these specifications, so it's hard to cite specific examples.

If you are worried about the structural, don't be, it's very basic (or al least in Oct. it was) and of all of the AM questions except for one you didn't even need a calculator. Which was kind of dissapointing after looking back on how much time was spent working problems and doing calculations but I guess it helped understand the theory. I've heard the test can vary greatly from test to test.

I had been out of school for 11 years and understand how it's hard to get back in an re-learn concepts you don't use on a day to day basis. One thing I found helpful was the online review course by Texas A&M, it's dated a little bit, but if you are a visual learner it helped ease the process of learning and remembering. and it's free http://engineeringregistration.tamu.edu/ta...ws/PEreview.htm

Transpo is well known as the easiest discipline. If you need anything more than the CERM and your 6-minute solutions, you don't deserve to call yoursef a professional.

I could have easily passed this.

Transpo is well known as the easiest discipline. If you need anything more than the CERM and your 6-minute solutions, you don't deserve to call yoursef a professional.
I could have easily passed this.
Didn't you fail the Transpo on your first try and pass WR on your second?

Back