Transportation Practice Problem

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigray76

Food & Beverage Director
Reaction score
Transportation Problem of the Week (from the review class I took at Rutgers)

A vehicle hits a bridge abutment at a speed estimated by investigation as 15 mph. Skid marks of 100 feet on the pavement (f = 0.35) followed by skid marks on the gravel shoulder approaching the abutment (f = 0.5) are observed. The grade is level. What is the initial speed of the vehicle?

Transportation Problem of the Week (from the review class I took at Rutgers)
A vehicle hits a bridge abutment at a speed estimated by investigation as 15 mph. Skid marks of 100 feet on the pavement (f = 0.35) followed by skid marks on the gravel shoulder approaching the abutment (f = 0.5) are observed. The grade is level. What is the initial speed of the vehicle?
50 mph

Last edited by a moderator:
How did you account for the coefficient of friction of the pavement & the gravel shoulder?

I am guessing that you added the two together in the bottom part of the equation. Reading the question again, I think I was to assume that the 100 foot distance contained both the pavement and gravel shoulder before the abutment. Damn tricky questions.

owillis

p.s. BigRay-Is Suns Dens' answer correct?

I will post the solution this afternoon... on my way out the door to go to a presentation.

-Ray

I will post the solution this afternoon... on my way out the door to go to a presentation.
-Ray

Make that tomorrow morning... never made it back to the office after the presentation... at a co-worker's house and we are going drinking the rest of the afternoon. What a brutal client!

-Ray

I forgot to mention that the gravel shoulder skid marks are 200 feet long. Sorry about that.

Solution:

db = (v2^2 - v1^2) / 30(f +/- g)

db (gravel) = 200 = v^2 - 15^2 / 30(0.5)

3000 = v^2 - 15^2

3225 = v^2

v = 56.8 mph (speed at end of pavement skid, beginning of gravel skid)

db (pavement) = 100 = v^2 - 56.8^2 / 30(0.35)

1050 = v^2 - 3226.24

v^2 = 4276.24

v = 65.4 mph (speed of vehicle just prior to skidding on pavement)

Back